Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #3,257 of 7,704
I finally got around to putting on the non-angled Brainwavz Sheapskin, and I must agree, the sub-bass has greater presence. The weirdness of the soundstage from using the angled pads, which I grew to accept, went back to normal.

The comfort is not as amazing as with the angled pads, but it's notably better than with stock pads.

Both pads work well. But I think the non-angled gives the truer sound.

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #3,259 of 7,704

Hey Darren..........yeah I believe that's it. I got those from the U.S. Amazon a few months ago. Initially I felt my stock pads were comfortable enough and these required that I re-EQ my player to make them sound good, so I didn't think it was worth it at the time. But now I'm starting to notice that the stock pads aren't as comfortable as I first thought. So after reading all these recent reviews on here I decided to give them another shot. This time I'll actually put some effort into re-EQ'ing for them though lol, so hopefully I can make it work. I do remember them being very comfortable though. And pretty easy to put on (and take off) the 99 Cs as well. Just took a minimal amount of effort at most.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #3,263 of 7,704
What would you say is the difference without any EQing between stock and sheepskins?

Well when I used my "stock custom EQ" on the sheepskin pads, the bass sounded weak, and overall the sound just didn't have the same punch. So I imagine it being relative to this. But I'm gonna actually try to come up with one for the sheepskin pads. I'm not an expert at it but I think I'm better than I used to be now that I have a little more knowledge about EQ'ing. Just keep checking here as I will post soon enough. The Brainwavz come in Tuesday...............................................

I'm also still debating about whether or not to try out the Koss Pro4S.

So that's something to consider too, esp since the Koss 'phones are like not even half the price of the 99 Cs. Maybe I will compare the Pro4S with the 99 Cs + Brainwavz (w/ custom EQ)? We'll see. Whatever I do, I'll post here.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #3,264 of 7,704
For all the new Meze owner with the bigger pads.

Is it true that the bass overwhelms and bleeds into the mids with the new pads ? I want to splurge and buy one of these but im wary of the impression of the meze with the new pads. I've had a quick audition with the meze and do like them but since apparently they changed the pads i am actually kinda wary as there are little to no reviews of the meze with the new pads ( And if there are they dont mention it), and even if i do like them when i auditioned them, some problems only arises after a few days of using a headphones not a quick audition. I like bass and listen to a lot of genre, mainly edm so im one foot out the door with whether i want to buy this or not.

I also want to note that some reviewers do share this sentiment with the bass, and some actually do think it's great. So yeah, there's that.

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #3,265 of 7,704

Is it true that the bass overwhelms and bleeds into the mids with the new pads ? I want to splurge and buy one of these but im wary of the impression of the meze with the new pads. I've had a quick audition with the meze and do like them but since apparently they changed the pads i am actually kinda wary as there are little to no reviews of the meze with the new pads ( And if there are they dont mention it), and even if i do like them when i auditioned them, some problems only arises after a few days of using a headphones not a quick audition. I like bass and listen to a lot of genre, mainly edm so im one foot out the door with whether i want to buy this or not.

I also want to note that some reviewers do share this sentiment with the bass, and some actually do think it's great. So yeah, there's that.
For me , with the larger new pads the bass don't bleeds into the mids ! It is for the price a truly great closed headphone specially with a balanced cable pairing with a dap that have balanced output ! like with my X7 MKII it sounds sublime !

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #3,266 of 7,704

I bought these recently and think they sound amazing! They accentuate the bass only when there is bass in a song. And they really don't need amping. I like them WAY more than my Grado SR325e's (although they're growing on me). I just bought a pair of used Oppo PM3's and will do some head to head comparisons soon.

I guess mine have the "bigger" pads and they sound great to me. Here in Canada, the Meze and the Grado both list for $399.00. Although I got the Grado's tax free (that is 15% here), I still think the Meze was a much better investment. If you want a little extra bass in your music and do not need/want an amp, these are very impressive.

Shane D

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #3,267 of 7,704
@ph58 @Shane D

Damn thanks for the answer.

You guys actually might just convinced me of buying the meze. Same as you @Shane D i was also torn between the PM3 and the Meze. After a long audition with the PM3, putting on the meze afterwards was exhilirating. Everything just sounds really fun and smooth ( the kind of signature i am looking for currently). I actually like the PM3 from the hours i auditioned them so i'll be waiting for your head to head comparisons.

Cheers

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #3,268 of 7,704
@ph58 @Shane D

You guys actually might just convinced me of buying the meze. Same as you @Shane D i was also torn between the PM3 and the Meze. After a long audition with the PM3, putting on the meze afterwards was exhilirating. Everything just sounds really fun and smooth ( the kind of signature i am looking for currently). I actually like the PM3 from the hours i auditioned them so i'll be waiting for your head to head comparisons.

Cheers

Although I like PM-1 quite a lot for their sweet midrange, 99C is more fun and more engaging to listen to than PM-3, at least with metal and X5ii + iDSD BL combo :darthsmile:

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #3,269 of 7,704
Although I like PM-1 quite a lot for their sweet midrange, 99C is more fun and more engaging to listen to than PM-3, at least with metal and X5ii + iDSD BL combo :darthsmile:

I just got my used PM3'S last week. I am loving them with my iFi Micro iCAN SE using the Xboost for some extra bass.

As of right now, I would pick the 99 Classics with no amp involved. I may well change my opinion down the road. To say the PM3'S benefit from an amp and some bass boost would be a large understatement.

My Grado's and my PM3'S benefit huge from the amp. Didn't really notice anything with the 99's.

When it comes to my opinions, keep two things in mind: I am not an audiophile and I have acquired all the above 'phones in the last 90 days. I want to spend the whole winter enjoying these three, and my incoming HD6XX phones, before culling the collection in the spring.

Shane D

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #3,270 of 7,704
@ph58 @Shane D

Cheers

One more comment: purists (audiophiles) seem to really prefer clean, clear, unfiltered and neutral sound. I have listened to LCD and the like. I was not moved.
I think I (and you) like a headphone that has it's own sound signature. The purists would say that you are not hearing the music as it was intended. I would agree, but I don't care. The 99's make me happy.:)

I bought the iFi amp because it offers XBoost and 3D sound "enhancements ".

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back