Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #3,227 of 7,704
$47? The description doesn't say much. Are these even genuine leather or sheepskin leather?

I'd paid like $40 for the Brainwavz non-angled sheepskin leather ones, but as a few others on here have said, they changed the sound too much on the 99 Cs, so they went back.

Ok what's the contact info? Maybe I'll get them.

Thanks.
Yeah I just sent my sheepskins back the other day. Honestly they were so comfortable that I would love to have another set of headphones just for pure comfort listening with them. Those things were like pillows. I think I'm going to order the PSB pads here in the next week or so if you want to wait. I can be the guinea pig :wink:

Edit: From what Mingus sent me, it appears to be a direct e-mail to a PSB support person. A little sketchy but if they are willing to ship to the US then I'll give it a shot through Paypal.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #3,228 of 7,704
Yeah I just sent my sheepskins back the other day. Honestly they were so comfortable that I would love to have another set of headphones just for pure comfort listening with them. Those things were like pillows. I think I'm going to order the PSB pads here in the next week or so if you want to wait. I can be the guinea pig :wink:

Edit: From what Mingus sent me, it appears to be a direct e-mail to a PSB support person. A little sketchy but if they are willing to ship to the US then I'll give it a shot through Paypal.

Yeah for sure! They were ULTRA comfortable. Physically they were worth every penny, but musically they were a ripoff. lol

Hmm ok. Yeah I can wait. Although I'm pretty satisfied by what Zivro confirmed for me earlier, another opinion from a fellow Head-Fi'er is ALWAYS welcome! lol

Yeah definitely not "the norm" but if you have no issues then I'd be down.

Another reason why I don't mind waiting is that I'm interested to hear what Mudd and mbwilson have to say about the 99 Cs vs. the Koss Pro. Especially if they both feel the Koss is more comfortable and also sounds BETTER than the 99 Cs, I'd be interested in checking them out and maybe keeping them. If they sound as good I might still do that but not keep them (just check them out for myself and then return them). We'll see. lol

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #3,229 of 7,704
Yeah for sure! They were ULTRA comfortable. Physically they were worth every penny, but musically they were a ripoff. lol

Hmm ok. Yeah I can wait. Although I'm pretty satisfied by what Zivro confirmed for me earlier, another opinion from a fellow Head-Fi'er is ALWAYS welcome! lol

Yeah definitely not "the norm" but if you have no issues then I'd be down.

Another reason why I don't mind waiting is that I'm interested to hear what Mudd and mbwilson have to say about the 99 Cs vs. the Koss Pro. Especially if they both feel the Koss is more comfortable and also sounds BETTER than the 99 Cs, I'd be interested in checking them out and maybe keeping them. If they sound as good I might still do that but not keep them (just check them out for myself and then return them). We'll see. lol
crap, at only $150 if they are better than the 99s then I might be interested as well. Color me skeptical though :)

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #3,230 of 7,704
****, at only $150 if they are better than the 99s then I might be interested as well. Color me skeptical though :)

Yeah. LOL I do LOVE the 99 Cs look though, so if they do sound equal, it may just come down to aesthetics. Though some ppl have said the Koss 'phones look better in person than in photos.

It was already posted earlier, but the reviewer on Amazon ("A Guy") actually thought the Koss 'phones were better. But I too am skeptical. lol Still, it reminds me of when I'd compared my old AKG K550 headphones to headphones 2-3 times their price and saw them time and time again outdo those more expensive headphones (until Meze came along anyway lol). This is why I wanna see what Mudd and mbwilson have to say. Even without doing a special EQ, if they (or at least mb) are listening to BOTH with no EQ, then it should still give me a good indication as to what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #3,231 of 7,704

What are those? The Brainwavz on the Classics? Nope! Long story short they are no good. They essentially turn the 99 Classics into a DT 770 I kid you not! Brainwavz on my PSBs? No good either. Same effect as on the Classics. Brainwavz on my HD600? Fit like a glove and keeps the original sound! They will remain on them for the foreseeable future. So what the heck are on the Classics? PSB ear pads that's what! YES! YES YES YES! Not only do they keep the original smaller 99 ear pad sound, but the added comfort and fit is superb, even surpassing the new larger Classic pads!! Not sure why I didn't try this earlier? I would highly suspect that the PM-3's pads would fit quite similar. Would be interesting if someone with a PM-3 and Classics give it a try.

One thing that I am really interested in but have no way of trying this, would be to see how the Momentum V2 pads fit on the Classics! The original Momentum's pads are a touch too small to fit, but I (again) highly suspect that the newer pads would fit pretty darn good! Plus they are real leather! Worth checking out if and how I can snag a pair.

:metal::sunglasses:

:thumbsup:
"The Brainwavz on the Classics? Nope! Long story short they are no good. They essentially turn the 99 Classics into a DT 770"

"So what the heck are on the Classics? PSB ear pads that's what! YES! YES YES YES! Not only do they keep the original smaller 99 ear pad sound, but the added comfort and fit is superb, even surpassing the new larger Classic pads!!"

linked you the post I was talking about, plus the most important quotes I was referring to.
(confirming the brainwavz were no good but the psb were perfect)
and you can also hear what other people have said on the street:

Random bystander #1: "wow! yes! while I don't own the PSB nor do I own the meze99 I think they are the best replacement ear pads for the meze99"
Mahatama Ghandi: "
the only way to find inner peace is with these ear pads.. *reads from script* uhm.. yes.. the pee ass bee ones.. did I read that correc-"
Father: "
when will you start doing something meaningful with your li-"

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #3,232 of 7,704
"The Brainwavz on the Classics? Nope! Long story short they are no good. They essentially turn the 99 Classics into a DT 770"

"So what the heck are on the Classics? PSB ear pads that's what! YES! YES YES YES! Not only do they keep the original smaller 99 ear pad sound, but the added comfort and fit is superb, even surpassing the new larger Classic pads!!"

linked you the post I was talking about, plus the most important quotes I was referring to.

Random bystander #1: "wow! yes! while I don't own the PSB nor do I own the meze99 I think they are the best replacement ear pads for the meze99"
the only way to find inner peace is with these ear pads.. *reads from script* uhm.. yes.. the pee ass bee ones.. did I read that correc-"
Hahah! Very good. I feel more confident wasting money on the PSB pads knowing that the user agreed that the Brainwavz were lackluster sound-wise when paired with the 99s. I felt it was very obvious from the first listening session. Fingers crossed!

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #3,233 of 7,704

VERY interesting Zivro! Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that 2nd person didn't think they sounded better than the 99 Cs, but the same, though you get added comfort and fit. Awesome!

Wait wait...............they keep the ORIGINAL SMALLER ear pads' sound?? Uggh so that means I'd have to re-EQ if I were to get these. F*&%! lol Now I'm not so sure on these. I thought it was retaining the larger ear pads' (aka my current) sound?! Dammit! lol

ROFL........................nothing like hearing about "the word on the street"....................................................................

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #3,234 of 7,704

So that 2nd person didn't think they sounded better than the 99 Cs, but the same, though you get added comfort and fit. Awesome!

Wait wait...............they keep the ORIGINAL SMALLER ear pads' sound?? Uggh so that means I'd have to re-EQ if I were to get these. F*&%! lol Now I'm not so sure on these. I thought it was retaining the larger ear pads' (aka my current) sound?! Dammit! lol

ROFL........................nothing like hearing about "the word on the street"....................................................................

I think it's better if they keep the most originally intended sound, and yeah that's what I understand from that as well, I think it'd be
worthwhile to re-EQ and get these if you're having comfort issues, if not then rock on as you are I say.

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,235 of 7,704

I thought the difference in sound was rather negligible between the original 99 pads and the larger ones, but maybe I have a less trained listening ear than yourself :) Maybe the bass was a tiny bit more emphasized but I don't think I'd notice much in a blind test. Hey if the Meze pads didn't KILL my ears I probably would never have any reason to upgrade them! They both sound really nice.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #3,237 of 7,704
I thought the difference in sound was rather negligible between the original 99 pads and the larger ones, but maybe I have a less trained listening ear than yourself :) Maybe the bass was a tiny bit more emphasized but I don't think I'd notice much in a blind test. Hey if the Meze pads didn't KILL my ears I probably would never have any reason to upgrade them! They both sound really nice.

If the difference is negligible and it's JUST the bass that changes, then I guess I can deal with that. I don't enjoy EQ'ing, so the easier it would be to adjust to the PSB pads the better.

The Meze pads for the most part are just fine with me. But I'll admit as comfortable as I find them, there's still a LITTLE room for improvement I guess.

Wait hamb, did you order them yet? I haven't heard back yet from Mingus (via PM) about the contact info, though I'm gonna hold off either way until I get word from you.

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #3,238 of 7,704
If the difference is negligible and it's JUST the bass that changes, then I guess I can deal with that. I don't enjoy EQ'ing, so the easier it would be to adjust to the PSB pads the better.

The Meze pads for the most part are just fine with me. But I'll admit as comfortable as I find them, there's still a LITTLE room for improvement I guess.

Wait hamb, did you order them yet? I haven't heard back yet from Mingus (via PM) about the contact info, though I'm gonna hold off either way until I get word from you.
No I haven't yet ordered them, I actually have yet to contact the PSB person. I will do so sometime this week though!

I thought you had tried the larger Meze pads though? Or are you still using the stock "smaller" pads?

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #3,239 of 7,704
No I haven't yet ordered them, I actually have yet to contact the PSB person. I will do so sometime this week though!

I thought you had tried the larger Meze pads though? Or are you still using the stock "smaller" pads?

Oh ok. Keep us posted! lol

Yeah I OWN the newer 99 Cs with the larger pads. Never heard/tried the original smaller ones. I prob would've hated them just like I hated the B&O 2nd Gen H6's ear pads. Over-ear my a$$! lol They are so on-ear IMHO. lol So for sure I'd have to adjust my EQ on the PSBs it seems, but yeah hopefully it's JUST bass that changes. I guess you can shed more light on that once you get yours? lol

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,240 of 7,704
Oh ok. Keep us posted! lol

Yeah I OWN the newer 99 Cs with the larger pads. Never heard/tried the original smaller ones. I prob would've hated them just like I hated the B&O 2nd Gen H6's ear pads. Over-ear my a$$! lol They are so on-ear IMHO. lol So for sure I'd have to adjust my EQ on the PSBs it seems, but yeah hopefully it's JUST bass that changes. I guess you can shed more light on that once you get yours? lol
Ohh I gotcha. Yeah I bought the Silver/Maple 99s so they came with the original small pads in white. To be honest the larger black pads Meze sent me didn't seem to be all that much bigger but I didn't measure them. But yeah from what I recall (I haven't listened to the 99s in a few weeks due to the ear pain) the original and larger pads sounded very similar. I doubt you would need to EQ them - that's a pain in the ass too! And yes I most definitely will provide feedback once I get the PSB pads (with pics) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back