Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #3,211 of 7,696
Alright, so I've finally received the new pads and tried them on, and my review is this:

As you know, our ears cannot be /really/ trusted when performing these kind of tests, so after some raw listening I always hook up the headphones to my GX3 pulsar, record it while the synthetic sound manipulator
takes notes and only then look at the results, my song of choice will always be the highly acclaimed 'Anaconda' by Nicki Minaj, it is a supremely high quality song with a vast sound-gamut that is just perfect for this
testing, for this song the headphones varied slightly and the pulsar picked up micro vibrations that are a scale higher in the bass department than what we learned to expect from the 99c.

for my second test I've gone to my all time favorite 'Baby' by Justin Bieber, feat Ludacris, a song only rivaled by hits such as 'The wall' or the Nutcracker suite by Tchaikovski.
It seems that the pads are performing nicely, but I've caught a few misalignments, specifically in the mids when Justin sings the third verse of and I quote 'Baby Ooooh' the third o was a bit more treble-y than necessary
and I could hear nips of distortion in the cup of the pads.

Just kidding obviously, I still haven't received any pads but I just wanted to warn that I'm not sure I /could/ tell much of a difference even if I wanted to when I bring you back some info
so anything I report take with a grain of salt n' pepper. I don't know what are GX3 pulsars, made everything up completely.

anyway just wanted to also update that I've ordered:

the Brainwavz pu leather, might order the angled sheepskin if the other replacements I've ordered aren't as good, I've also ordered the PSB replacement ones somebody recommended recently, it will be delievered to me through
a friend in Australia, the Senn momentum new ones as well, will keep you posted once I get and compared them for real now.
I would have sued you for taking the deep name with the Wall and Nutcracker in the same breath. You almost had me mate. :wink: good one!

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #3,212 of 7,696
I have or have heard almost all of that. Now you having me wanting to go back to some things I have not listened to in a long long time. Too much music, too little time. You forgot Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, Leonard Cohen, Lee Harvey Osmond, Daniel Lanois, Dire Straights, Eric Andersen, Chris Smither, Chip Taylor...I could go on for pages and pages.... Also, I see you are in Chicago... how can you not mention some good Chicago Blues! We always had a great annual blues festival in my town in Michigan.

Not necessarily. That always happens to me unless the headphone is uncomfortable or horrible... but I don't have horrible ones...at least I don't think so. Its the music that draws me in and holds me there.

I will have to get back to you over the weekend. I have those buds and iems coming in and now my husband has a few days off so I might spend some time with him...lol.

I was gonna put Bruce Springsteen too but I tried to keep the list to artists I listen to on a somewhat heavy rotation. Even though I think he's written some of the best songs ever (I'm On Fire being one of them), I didn't want the list getting too big. But yes, DEFINITELY go ahead and include him! lol And yes Dire Straits too! Bob Seger and Leonard Cohen I only know a couple songs at best. I do have one Seger on my phone, "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man", with a very young Glenn Frey (The Eagles) singing background vocals during the chorus (and very loudly I might add). You can really hear him during the first chorus.

Hey nothing wrong with that (going back to stuff you haven't listened to in a long time). That's what happened with certain albums when I got them in Hi-Res. Albums I got tired of years ago...........stuff by The Doors or Lenny Kravitz for example, all of a sudden sounded new & exciting cuz you could hear details you couldn't before (which of course is in part b/c of the headphones too vs. my old a$$ $30 V-Moda earphones that I used to wear and thought I was cool lol).

That's cool about the blues festival in Michigan. I love the blues to a point, but to be honest I prefer to listen to rock a lot more (and so don't really have any blues albums really), or rock bands doing the blues, like Zeppelin, The Stones, Hendrix, Clapton, etc etc. Still, I did go see Clapton back in '09 and Buddy Guy (who lives here) showed up at the end and played on stage with Clapton. So after me and my buddy went to his blues club nearby (also in the city) called Buddy Guy's Legends. He was there, and if you bought a $20 shirt, he'd sign it for you, so we did that and got to shake his hand. lol And then a couple months ago me and same buddy went to Blues Fest in downtown at Millennium Park. I might've mentioned it here before? It's a free festival with all kinds of blues artists. Gary Clark Jr. (another one to check out, "Numb" and "Bright Lights Big City" are his best) was the main act that Sunday night. A couple other friends met us up, and we all had a blast! I may go again too.

Ok. Well still at the very least it's a testament to the obvious comfort level of the Koss 'phones. :L3000:

Haha I C. That's cool. Yes I'm sure he'd appreciate that!! lol Post when you can.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #3,213 of 7,696
This is how the Meze pads were with me as well. The first 1-2 hours are quite comfortable but I HAVE to take them off or the top/bottom pressure points on my ears start to ache. Definitely let us know how the Brainwavz PU Leather turn out. I tried the Brainwavz sheepskin but found the new sound to be quite dull and lifeless, even though they were like ear pillows. I just sent them back for return.

I do plan on trying the PSB replacement pads as was discussed several pages back, but not sure when I'll get around to that.

What was the consensus on the PSB pads? I haven't been able to read each and every post. Are they as comfortable as the Brainwavz pads (non-angled)? Did ppl on here say they sounded lifeless too or no?

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #3,214 of 7,696
What was the consensus on the PSB pads? I haven't been able to read each and every post. Are they as comfortable as the Brainwavz pads (non-angled)? Did ppl on here say they sounded lifeless too or no?
They said that they had a perfect fit, were more comfortable than the larger pads and didnt change the sound.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #3,215 of 7,696
They said that they had a perfect fit, were more comfortable than the larger pads and didnt change the sound.

Really?! lol Could you or someone please post a link to those exact same pads? I do like the stock pads of the 99 Cs, but if the PSBs are more comfortable and easy to put on(?), then I'd definitely be interested in them as well! Thanks in advance to you and all who may reply!

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #3,216 of 7,696
[QUOTE="mbwilson111, post: 13729828, member: 460914"We always had a great annual blues festival in my town in Michigan.[/QUOTE]

Since you are from Michigan, are you familiar with Larry McCrary? Fantastic blues player from Flint area. His stuff is hard to find, but Live on I-75 is a great sampling.

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3,217 of 7,696
Really?! lol Could you or someone please post a link to those exact same pads? I do like the stock pads of the 99 Cs, but if the PSBs are more comfortable and easy to put on(?), then I'd definitely be interested in them as well! Thanks in advance to you and all who may reply!
http://headphones.com.au/product/psb-replacement-earpads/
These are the ones, notice that they only deliver within Australia or New Zealand, I got a friend who'll deliver it from there to Israel.

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #3,218 of 7,696
http://headphones.com.au/product/psb-replacement-earpads/
These are the ones, notice that they only deliver within Australia or New Zealand, I got a friend who'll deliver it from there to Israel.

Wow what a bummer. I live in the U.S., and apparently eBay nor Amazon have those same pads. Oh well. Thanks anyway Zivro!!

Maybe I'll try contacting PSB, but I won't hold my breath. lol I don't see any ear pads listed on their site, which is both dumb & weird, but oh well. lol

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3,219 of 7,696
Since you are from Michigan, are you familiar with Larry McCrary? Fantastic blues player from Flint area. His stuff is hard to find, but Live on I-75 is a great sampling.

I have not been back to Michigan since 2012 but,yes, I have heard of Larry McCray. I don' t have the I-75 album but I do have a couple of others.might give one a listen tomorrow. I just googled and found he played the Monroe Blues Festival in 2016. Last one I went to was in 2005 :frowning2: I left Michigan in 2006.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #3,220 of 7,696
Wow what a bummer. I live in the U.S., and apparently eBay nor Amazon have those same pads. Oh well. Thanks anyway Zivro!!

Maybe I'll try contacting PSB, but I won't hold my breath. lol I don't see any ear pads listed on their site, which is both dumb & weird, but oh well. lol

they want $27 + $20 to ship PSB pads the US. i'll think it over. if they work that well would be worth it i guess. I have the contct info for the pads.

Sep 18, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #3,221 of 7,696
they want $27 + $20 to ship PSB pads the US. i'll think it over. if they work that well would be worth it i guess. I have the contct info for the pads.

$47? The description doesn't say much. Are these even genuine leather or sheepskin leather?

I'd paid like $40 for the Brainwavz non-angled sheepskin leather ones, but as a few others on here have said, they changed the sound too much on the 99 Cs, so they went back.

Ok what's the contact info? Maybe I'll get them.

Thanks.

Sep 18, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #3,222 of 7,696
I have not been back to Michigan since 2012 but,yes, I have heard of Larry McCray. I don' t have the I-75 album but I do have a couple of others.might give one a listen tomorrow. I just googled and found he played the Monroe Blues Festival in 2016. Last one I went to was in 2005 :frowning2: I left Michigan in 2006.
Another bluesman I like who is similar to Larry McCray is Michael Burks. Iron man, show of strength, or I smell smoke are good jumping in points if you don't know him. If you know him too, then I say our musical tastes are very similar an we should keep sharing until we find a good one each doesn't know.

Sep 18, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #3,223 of 7,696
I listen to singer/songwiters, rock, blues, folk, classical, world music, indie, progressive rock and more. New, old...does not matter as long as it is good. I do prefer to listen to "oldies" on speakers as it can be weird on headphones.

Hey MB,

Two of the songs that I use to test out headphones are by Fleetwood Mac. Would you happen to have the FM 1975 "Fleetwood Mac" self-titled album (song: "Crystal"), or the "Rumours" album (song: Second Hand News), preferably in Hi-Res? Let me know. (Note: I just checked again and the Rumours album is NO LONGER AVAILABLE on UK 7digital or UK HDTracks. I have no idea. Super lame.)

I'll explain what to listen for in both songs after you reply if you do. If you have them, great. If not, but would like to, I highly recommend the Hi-Res versions as they even outdo the CD albums I used to have (b/c of the better masters of course, not the higher resolution marketing mumbo jumbo garbage lol). If interested, I made sure that the links above (and below) are "UK resident-friendly" too, and the best priced. The "Tusk" and "Live" albums are also great too, but again completely optional. I own all of these albums and listen to them regularly. They never get old to me.

Another great Hi-Res site is the UK version of HDTracks. Sometimes they may have albums cheaper or that 7digital doesn't offer, and vice versa. Qobuz is another one, except they are not available here in the U.S. (yet), but UK residents are welcome.

Either way, thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #3,224 of 7,696
$47? The description doesn't say much. Are these even genuine leather or sheepskin leather?

I'd paid like $40 for the Brainwavz non-angled sheepskin leather ones, but as a few others on here have said, they changed the sound too much on the 99 Cs, so they went back.

Ok what's the contact info? Maybe I'll get them.

Thanks.

private message probably better, I would rather not post her email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back