Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #3,197 of 7,704
@mbwilson111 Did i hear chi fi iems and buds during the AE sale? Which did you get?

already arrived last week:
iems: Boarseman CX98. Seahf awk-i009
buds: Qian39, RY04. **** PT15 (graphene driver)

and more buds still to arrive... maybe next week
Moondrop Nameless
Auglamour RX1
Qian 69
Boarseman MX98
something else... can't remember the name right now but that was just ordered yesterday

many people in the associated threads went a bit crazy during the sale. I am sure that prices will be repeated... a couple of those were only £3. The moondrop is the most expensive at £23

no more iems and buds for me now... that is more than enough to play with... I already had a few things from Amazon. I am just having trouble believing the sound that can come out of these little things. So, why exactly are we spending so much on headphones? I will say I am not used to having those things in my ears. It doesn't hurt exactly but feels weird.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #3,198 of 7,704
already arrived last week:
iems: Boarseman CX98. Seahf awk-i009
buds: Qian39, RY04. **** PT15 (graphene driver)

and more buds still to arrive... maybe next week
Moondrop Nameless
Auglamour RX1
Qian 69
Boarseman MX98
something else... can't remember the name right now but that was just ordered yesterday

many people in the associated threads went a bit crazy during the sale. I am sure that prices will be repeated... a couple of those were only £3. The moondrop is the most expensive at £23

no more iems and buds for me now... that is more than enough to play with... I already had a few things from Amazon. I am just having trouble believing the sound that can come out of these little things. So, why exactly are we spending so much on headphones? I will say I am not used to having those things in my ears. It doesn't hurt exactly but feels weird.
Wow that is quiet a list. I have ordered a few out of them. Moondrop nameless and a few buds MX500 and a few others. Am i hearing really nice things about them. They are yet to arrive and may take a few weeks. The waiting game ensues. I did have the weird feeling with iems and buds but over the ears i have noticed a vast improvement with the comfort and fit of iems. So much so that my days go by without touching a HP. I did worry me at first but as long as i am enjoying the music who cares.

I shall PM you about the Moondrops and the **** PT15 (graphene love).

Sep 17, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #3,199 of 7,704
Is the inside of the ear pads the same smooth leather as the outer part, or does it look wrinkly?

Yes, I have the new pads, they're wrinkly on the inside, I guess that even the new ones are not comfortable for me, I think I have ears that are leaning to the large side, I'll try to compare the brainwavz with the Shure ones if I get them.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #3,200 of 7,704
Yes...........in the end, it's ALL about the music.

Speaking of music...what are a few of your favorite albums. If I have them I could use them in my comparison.

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #3,202 of 7,704
That would be very kind of you!

Do you listen to rock? If so, newer or old bands? Or both? Once I know I can tell you. I mainly listen to rock music. Some folk (Simon and Garfunkel, Bob Dylan) too.

I listen to singer/songwiters, rock, blues, folk, classical, world music, indie, progressive rock and more. New, old...does not matter as long as it is good. I do prefer to listen to "oldies" on speakers as it can be weird on headphones.

I am always interested in discovering new music (or old stuff that is new to me).

Not into rap, hip hop, EDM or metal...at least not for an entire album. I am an album listener. I never shuffle.

Right now I am listening with the Koss. I meant to take them off and put on the Mezes but as usual I forgot...well into a third album on these now.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #3,203 of 7,704
I listen to singer/songwiters, rock, blues, folk, classical, world music, indie, progressive rock and more. New, old...does not matter as long as it is good. I do prefer to listen to "oldies" on speakers as it can be weird on headphones.

I am always interested in discovering new music (or old stuff that is new to me).

Not into rap, hip hop, EDM or metal...at least not for an entire album. I am an album listener. I never shuffle.

Right now I am listening with the Koss. I meant to take them off and put on the Mezes but as usual I forgot...well into a third album on these now.

Ok cool. I'll just type out a bunch of my tops fav artists and hopefully you have some of their music. If not, then tell me what you DO have and we'll go from there......................

Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Audioslave, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, The Band, Beck, Bush, Carly Simon, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Doors, Cream/Derek and the Dominos/Eric Clapton, Garbage, Guns N' Roses, Lenny Kravitz, Nirvana, No Doubt, Sublime, The Offspring, The Beatles, Pearl Jam, Neil Young, The Police, Queen, R.E.M., Rage Against The Machine, The Shins, Tom Petty/TP & The Heartbreakers, U2, Van Morrison, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Weezer, The Who.

Some good newer bands/music that I love and you might too: Interpol, The National, Band of Horses, My Morning Jacket, Lord Huron, Houndmouth (album: Little Neon Limelight), Vance Joy (songs: Riptide, new one.....Lay It All On Me Now), X Ambassadors, Wolf Parade. Interpol and The National are my absolute fav from this list (have seen them live multiple times). Band of Horses is another great one too.

Yeah I couldn't agree more. I don't understand people who ONLY like new or old music, and there are a lot of ppl like that out there. Well oldies tended to be recorded in mono, which from prior experience I know is much less fun to listen to on headphones, so that actually makes a lot of sense. In some rare cases a mono version of a song may sound better than the stereo version, but not often at all IMO.

Yes, I was into rap in my younger teen days (back in the 90s when rap was actually GOOD lol). Hip Hop and EDM not really. Maybe a couple songs at best. Metal........basically just Metallica. I prefer to listen to albums from start to finish too, though I do shuffle as well. It's great when you find an album that's great from start to finish with no more than 1 or 2 weak songs.

Haha............that COULD be your subconscious telling you something about the Koss 'phones then? :ksc75smile: It's impressive that they sound so good that you literally forgot yourself.

Last night I tried listening to some music with EQ off and my custom 99 C EQ on. With it off the music still sounded good but it didn't sound as full-bodied as when I had it on. So I guess it all goes back to "to each his own" on that one. lol

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #3,205 of 7,704
Alright, so I've finally received the new pads and tried them on, and my review is this:

As you know, our ears cannot be /really/ trusted when performing these kind of tests, so after some raw listening I always hook up the headphones to my GX3 pulsar, record it while the synthetic sound manipulator
takes notes and only then look at the results, my song of choice will always be the highly acclaimed 'Anaconda' by Nicki Minaj, it is a supremely high quality song with a vast sound-gamut that is just perfect for this
testing, for this song the headphones varied slightly and the pulsar picked up micro vibrations that are a scale higher in the bass department than what we learned to expect from the 99c.

for my second test I've gone to my all time favorite 'Baby' by Justin Bieber, feat Ludacris, a song only rivaled by hits such as 'The wall' or the Nutcracker suite by Tchaikovski.
It seems that the pads are performing nicely, but I've caught a few misalignments, specifically in the mids when Justin sings the third verse of and I quote 'Baby Ooooh' the third o was a bit more treble-y than necessary
and I could hear nips of distortion in the cup of the pads.

Just kidding obviously, I still haven't received any pads but I just wanted to warn that I'm not sure I /could/ tell much of a difference even if I wanted to when I bring you back some info
so anything I report take with a grain of salt n' pepper. I don't know what are GX3 pulsars, made everything up completely.

anyway just wanted to also update that I've ordered:

the Brainwavz pu leather, might order the angled sheepskin if the other replacements I've ordered aren't as good, I've also ordered the PSB replacement ones somebody recommended recently, it will be delievered to me through
a friend in Australia, the Senn momentum new ones as well, will keep you posted once I get and compared them for real now.

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #3,206 of 7,704
Just kidding obviously,

I just woke up after listening to music too late into the night and this was the first thing I read. You totally had me! I was thinking "who IS this guy?" lol.

You do realize that now you will be quoted all over the internet...or headfi at least :)

"well I heard that on the most commonly used test song 'Baby Ooooh' the third o was a bit more treble-y than necessary with pad bxx so be sure to use pad bxy on the right cup and pad bxz on the left"

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #3,207 of 7,704
so be sure to use pad bxy on the right cup and pad bxz on the left

lol, should have added that.

btw, the comfort issue is manageable, I'm finding myself able to put them on for 1-2 hours straight, enjoying their sound, taking a 20-30 minute break listening through my speakers (which are just a logitech z6something)
and then putting the meze back on, so I won't 'suffer' by any means till the other pads come in.

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #3,208 of 7,704
lol, should have added that.

btw, the comfort issue is manageable, I'm finding myself able to put them on for 1-2 hours straight, enjoying their sound, taking a 20-30 minute break listening through my speakers (which are just a logitech z6something)
and then putting the meze back on, so I won't 'suffer' by any means till the other pads come in.

This is how the Meze pads were with me as well. The first 1-2 hours are quite comfortable but I HAVE to take them off or the top/bottom pressure points on my ears start to ache. Definitely let us know how the Brainwavz PU Leather turn out. I tried the Brainwavz sheepskin but found the new sound to be quite dull and lifeless, even though they were like ear pillows. I just sent them back for return.

I do plan on trying the PSB replacement pads as was discussed several pages back, but not sure when I'll get around to that.

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #3,210 of 7,704
Ok cool. I'll just type out a bunch of my tops fav artists and hopefully you have some of their music. If not, then tell me what you DO have and we'll go from there......................

I have or have heard almost all of that. Now you having me wanting to go back to some things I have not listened to in a long long time. Too much music, too little time. You forgot Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, Leonard Cohen, Lee Harvey Osmond, Daniel Lanois, Dire Straights, Eric Andersen, Chris Smither, Chip Taylor...I could go on for pages and pages.... Also, I see you are in Chicago... how can you not mention some good Chicago Blues! We always had a great annual blues festival in my town in Michigan.

Haha............that COULD be your subconscious telling you something about the Koss 'phones then? :ksc75smile: It's impressive that they sound so good that you literally forgot yourself.

Not necessarily. That always happens to me unless the headphone is uncomfortable or horrible... but I don't have horrible ones...at least I don't think so. Its the music that draws me in and holds me there.

I will have to get back to you over the weekend. I have those buds and iems coming in and now my husband has a few days off so I might spend some time with him...lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back