Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 20, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #4,006 of 7,704
Hey there!

New owner of a pair of Meze 99 Classics. Love it!

Oh, I don't suppose the 1.2m thread Kevlar OFC cable is balanced?

May 20, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #4,008 of 7,704
Hello,
So I ran into an issue where thanks to my dpx1(and its issues with the headphone sockets) I have a small bent in my headphone jack. They still work well thankfully

So now I'm on the look for a new DAP that's better built and works well with the meze 99 balenced. Any suggestions and recommendations?

May 20, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #4,009 of 7,704
Curious. Was this an upgrade, side grade, or first headphone for you? Please provide detail. I am still on the fence about buying these.

Considered first proper headphone.
Was using 1more triple driver as my EDC, popped by the local stereo store and the fella recommended the 99 classics since I like the sound of my 1more triple driver.

Tried it on, straight from my LG V20. Instantly fell in love with it.
I also tried the vmoda M-100. Didn't really like the tight bass. (I'm not saying its bad, I just prefer bass that is not-so-tight.).

So if you're in for something warm, neutral sound, I believe the 99 classics is the one for you.

And I really like the comfort. I'm wearing spectacles.

(Pardon the inaccurate use of words. I'm still learning.)

May 20, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #4,010 of 7,704
Considered first proper headphone.
Was using 1more triple driver as my EDC, popped by the local stereo store and the fella recommended the 99 classics since I like the sound of my 1more triple driver.

Tried it on, straight from my LG V20. Instantly fell in love with it.
I also tried the vmoda M-100. Didn't really like the tight bass. (I'm not saying its bad, I just prefer bass that is not-so-tight.).

So if you're in for something warm, neutral sound, I believe the 99 classics is the one for you.

And I really like the comfort. I'm wearing spectacles.

(Pardon the inaccurate use of words. I'm still learning.)
How are the mids and vocals?

May 20, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #4,011 of 7,704
Curious. Was this an upgrade, side grade, or first headphone for you? Please provide detail. I am still on the fence about buying these.

If you have been on the fence this long, maybe you should consider the 1More Triple Over Ear H1707.

May 20, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #4,012 of 7,704
Hey there!

New owner of a pair of Meze 99 Classics. Love it!

Oh, I don't suppose the 1.2m thread Kevlar OFC cable is balanced?
It's not, the copper balanced is $150 and the silver balanced its $200. Both straight from Meze. The 1.2 has 4 poles bc it has a mic.

I have a custom Silver Balanced cable from Triton Audio. I had to buy the Meze mono plugs and while my cable guy was able to get it done he said it was a bit of a pain. said their real value should be $5 (not the $20 I paid). It's "missing" a sleeving/coupler to make a tight connection, he had to use a good amount of heat shrink and hot glue, he did very well but I'm sure he won't wanna go through that again lol. It was really worth it for me to just go through him for the Silver cable as I got it for a discount since another customer cancelled their silver cable order so he just had to swap on the Meze plugs.

Silver Balanced and Brainwavz Sheepskin Ovals is really the way to go for the 99C IMO. The Sheepskin pads provide better comfort & isolation as well as moving the driver farther away so the bass has a bit more time to develop and is less boomy, the silver balanced provides better imaging, clarity and separation.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #4,013 of 7,704
It's not, the copper balanced is $150 and the silver balanced its $200. Both straight from Meze. The 1.2 has 4 poles bc it has a mic.

I have a custom Silver Balanced cable from Triton Audio. I had to buy the Meze mono plugs and while my cable guy was able to get it done he said it was a bit of a pain. said their real value should be $5 (not the $20 I paid). It's "missing" a sleeving/coupler to make a tight connection, he had to use a good amount of heat shrink and hot glue, he did very well but I'm sure he won't wanna go through that again lol. It was really worth it for me to just go through him for the Silver cable as I got it for a discount since another customer cancelled their silver cable order so he just had to swap on the Meze plugs.

Silver Balanced and Brainwavz Sheepskin Ovals is really the way to go for the 99C IMO. The Sheepskin pads provide better comfort & isolation as well as moving the driver farther away so the bass has a bit more time to develop and is less boomy, the silver balanced provides better imaging, clarity and separation.

I ordered Brainwavz Sheepskin Ovals because the only thing I don't like of Meze Classics are the original pads

May 20, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #4,014 of 7,704
If you have been on the fence this long, maybe you should consider the 1More Triple Over Ear H1707.
Oh MB I live on the fence and it hurts! Lol. Seriously though, I will be posting some stuff for sale to get the 99's. Recently started working for myself and need to exercise a smidgen of restraint for a while. In the meanwhile I live vicariously through your journey. Keep it going!!!

May 20, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #4,015 of 7,704
How are the mids and vocals?
Honestly speaking, I'm not too familiar with the technicals. I'll look up what "mids" refer to and perhaps re-examine the sound and get back to you.

Vocals wise, I think the female singers sound natural. Doesn't feel as if they are right infront of you and let the rest of the sound sit far behind. Nor are their voices being overshadowed by the music. Kind of like just at the right place. I don't have much male singing songs. Childish Gambino sounded alright to me. :dt880smile:

I'm really happy and excited about having this pair of headphones!:v:

May 20, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #4,016 of 7,704
The Sheepskin pads provide better comfort & isolation

I was about to say that the isolation isn't quite there (imho). Great tip on the sheepskin pads. Going to get them to try!
The original pads are pretty alright to me though.

May 21, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #4,018 of 7,704
May 21, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #4,019 of 7,704
I

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back