Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 14, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #3,991 of 7,704
Does anybody have experience using the 99 with an iEMatch or Ear Buddy? I'm looking to lower hiss coming from my Project Sunrise and be able to have finer control with the volume knob on my RA+.

Sure the amps aren't necessary with the 99C but they're fun, and could be more so.

May 14, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #3,992 of 7,704
Dang, just when I was getting ready to get the R70X :)

Some further impressions (based on my ears and preferences):

- Classic 99 is much better than the M50X. The M50X sounds comparatively scooped, and buzzy on the high end.

- Classic 99 is better than the R70X (which is open back, and about the same price). R70X was the best headphone I had heard under $750 until I heard the Classic 99. The Classic 99 has a bit less control of bass and slightly smaller stage, but more accurate mids and smoother highs. Detail of both is similar.

- Not surprisingly, the LCD-3 has significantly better sound quality than the Classic 99. While the signatures have similar warmth in terms of lack of timidity of bass and roll-off of highs, the LCD-3 has much better shape and control of bass, smoother overall, more detail, more realism, and bigger stage. But the comparison isn't fair at all, since the LCD-3 is more than 6X the price, open back, heavy, and requires much more power to drive (Classic 99 is among the most efficient headphones I've run across, but does sound better with a better DAC/amp - I've tried the iPhone, DF Red, Mojo, and Hugo 2).

If I needed a closed-back and my budget was say $500 or even maybe $750, I'd gladly buy the Classic 99 and consider it an excellent value. I'm actually looking for good closed-back, and my budget is more like $2K, but I may still buy the Classic 99 anyway.

May 14, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #3,993 of 7,704
Does anybody have experience using the 99 with an iEMatch or Ear Buddy? I'm looking to lower hiss coming from my Project Sunrise and be able to have finer control with the volume knob on my RA+.

Sure the amps aren't necessary with the 99C but they're fun, and could be more so.

I tried iEMatch 2.5 briefly, if you amp has tons of power, and noise, then you can totally go for it. None of my sources didn't have enough power to make it more logic to use it, but you can totally go for it if yours has.

It reduces the volume and filters hiss, that it can do really well :)

May 15, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #3,994 of 7,704

I am currently use IEMatch with all my Meze phones. I do not nessessary needed but since Meze are quite sensitive it helps a bit. It smooths the sound and offer a bit of HD650 flavour to these cans. Also my Marantz amplifier works optimal under 12 o clock rather than 10 clock. If you want to extract every bit of Meze 99 I recommend IEMatch.

My 6XX are on order they should arrive some time in 2076 so I can do a proper comparison by then how Meze 99 with iematch compare to 6xx directly in my home rig

May 15, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #3,996 of 7,704

I have EarBuddy for the Dunu 2000j and the SHURE 425, my phone (Xiaomi A1) has a lot of power amplifier.
In Meze 99C the whistle is present to a lesser extent, but it is still a bit annoying, so I also use it with them. The result is fantastic.

May 15, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #3,997 of 7,704
Aren't you being a little optimistic?
You are absolutely right. Sometimes ship early so it will be 2075 maybe...:)

No complaints though the 4XX will come few years earlier and I will test IEMatch with those too...

Is not about the prices I like the massdrop colours much more than the originals.

I tried IEMatch with Meze and little bear b4 yesterday and IEMATCH was wonderful but it drained the battery so quickly that I thought I burned the tubes when it suddenly stoped. I will check again soon but I can envision scenarios that Meze and IEMatch do wonderful combinations.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #3,998 of 7,704
You are absolutely right. Sometimes ship early so it will be 2075 maybe...:)

No complaints thought the 4XX will come few years earlier and I will test IEMatch with those too...

Is not about the prices I like the massdrop colours much more than the originals.

I tried IEMatch with Meze and little bear b4 yesterday and IEMATCH was wonderful but it drained the battery so quickly that I thought I burned the tubes when it suddenly stoped. I will check again soon but I can envision scenarios that Meze and IEMatch do wonderful combinations.

You aren't upset about the import fees? We have given up on Massdrop for that reason.

May 15, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #3,999 of 7,704

Finer control you will have for sure this is what happening with my Marantz.

And Meze is getting better with various Dac and Amps just does not scale so much like other cans.

May 15, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #4,000 of 7,704
You aren't upset about the import fees? We have given up on Massdrop for that reason.
I will be when I see them and if they are above my expectations .I expect a final price of 215£ for HD6XX ( plus 15 £ 3m cable from Amazon) and 185£ for HE4XX.

If I pay more I will regret my choice. So the total is more than a new set of nightowls but at that time I thought the price was 600£ for the NO.

For the 215 I would have bought the HD6XX anyway in a colour close to Black but I would not order the 4XX if I noticed earlier the price drop for NO OR the raving reviews of M1060.

May 15, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #4,001 of 7,704
I will be when I see them and if they are above my expectations .I expect a final price of 215£ for HD6XX ( plus 15 £ 3m cable from Amazon) and 185£ for HE4XX.

Starting from the pound value of the purchase itself, we have always had to add the 20% VAT plus a 3% import fee (if it is above a certain price... cannot remember the cut off point) PLUS an £11 fee imposed by DHL (or £8 if royal mail was used).

May 15, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #4,002 of 7,704
Starting from the pound value of the purchase itself, we have always had to add the 20% VAT plus a 3% import fee (if it is above a certain price... cannot remember the cut off point) PLUS an £11 fee imposed by DHL (or £8 if royal mail was used).
I bought when the FX was 1.4 (paypal FX rate 1.35) so even if the £ drops at 1.25 for the calculation of vat and fees it still seems to be below my target final price.

May 15, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #4,003 of 7,704
Thanks for the insights on using the iEMatch. It sounds like they are a good match with the 99C. I forgot I was about to pull the trigger and spent the money on new music instead! But I'll be grabbing one of those or an Ear Buddy real soon.

May 15, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #4,004 of 7,704
Dang, just when I was getting ready to get the R70X :)

Of course, it's just my opinion. If I had to pick one, I'd take the 99 Classics over the R70X, but there are still some tracks where I'd prefer the R70X. I've yet to run across a headphone which I'll always prefer over every other headphone for every track, since the variability between tracks is quite large.

May 15, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #4,005 of 7,704
Of course, it's just my opinion. If I had to pick one, I'd take the 99 Classics over the R70X, but there are still some tracks where I'd prefer the R70X. I've yet to run across a headphone which I'll always prefer over every other headphone for every track, since the variability between tracks is quite large.

Excellent point. The Meze 99 Classics definitely have isolation and portability, as well as efficiency, over the R70X. They're also gorgeous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back