Mexican hot dog (and general hot dog discussion)
Aug 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #16 of 26

Quote:

My favorite hot dog is the Chicago style dog. (I lived in Chicago for about 10 years.) I'm considering buying a kit to make some at home, since some of the toppings aren't available locally.

I haven't lived in Chicago, though I have eaten there.  What are toppings are you missing?  Just the peppers, right?  I mean you can tomato, find lettuce, celery seed, and obviously there's variation, but I'm curious as to what else you'd have to go and find to make the dogs like you remember.

A kit sounds like a great solution.  Do you have one in mind?

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #17 of 26
Sabrett's cooked dirty-water style on a cart are the classic dogs to me.  Or, get over to Papaya King or Gray's for fine dogs.   Salcice makes a heck of a fine sandwich, but a hot dog it isn't.   I would never say "no" to Shake Shack's Chicago dog as a change of pace.  

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 26
I'm from Puebla, Mexico. I agree that we mexicans like to take credit for a lot of food that tastes great..
tongue.gif

Maybe its because we like to experiment with food a lot...anyway here is just one variation of many types of hotdogs served on the streets here in my city. WARNING if you have high colesterol please abstain
biggrin.gif

regular bun with a bacon wrapped grilled hot dog inside, add mayo and mustard, put some melted quesillo (similar to monterrey jack), add onions, jalapeños and carrots in escabeche, and guacamole, add some salsa macha for extra hotness.

don't like jalapeños and salsa macha?? just replace with chicago steak seasoning.....
wink_face.gif

I think I'm hungry now.... ohh my arteries.....

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
I haven't lived in Chicago, though I have eaten there.  What are toppings are you missing?  Just the peppers, right?  I mean you can tomato, find lettuce, celery seed, and obviously there's variation, but I'm curious as to what else you'd have to go and find to make the dogs like you remember.

A kit sounds like a great solution.  Do you have one in mind?

The peppers are the main thing, but the right relish is hard to come by as well. To be completely authentic, you also need Vienna Beef hot dogs.

Vienna Beef sells complete kits direct on their web site. (You can also get the peppers, etc. on Amazon) You can also get a kit that includes the famed Vienna Beef and gravy for dipping. I was always more of a hot dog guy myself, but I love a good Italian sausage with the sport peppers.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 26
i've always had a soft spot in my heart for the street hot dog here in LA, which is kind of a Mexican hot dog

bacon-wrapped, grilled onions and peppers, mayo, ketchup and mustard (has to have all 3 toppings)

made on a hot plate on the sidewalk. technically an illegal food operation but they're all over the place

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #22 of 26
The NJ local specialty seems to be what is called a "Ripper" from Rut's Hut in Clifton. A Ripper all the way consists of a hot dog, deep fried until it rips open (hence Ripper), then coated in all the way sauce (think a spicy chilli powder sauce) and some onions to top it off. Good stuff. 

Philly also has a good hot dog truck I have visited several times based out of the Memphis Taproom that has great gourmet dogs. They also have delicious beer batered, deep fried pickles.

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #24 of 26
The NJ local specialty seems to be what is called a "Ripper" from Rut's Hut in Clifton. A Ripper all the way consists of a hot dog, deep fried until it rips open (hence Ripper), then coated in all the way sauce (think a spicy chilli powder sauce) and some onions to top it off. Good stuff. 

Philly also has a good hot dog truck I have visited several times based out of the Memphis Taproom that has great gourmet dogs. They also have delicious beer batered, deep fried pickles.

Rutt's Hutt, that brings back memories. The only thing I'd add (because Westerners are going to think chili means a reddish sauce) is that the relishly sauce is a yellow mystery.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #25 of 26
Toronto people, is Queen and Spadina still the epicenter for a transcendent street dog?  A few years ago I had one and started floating down the street, above the pedestrians, with my mouth full.  Finest example of caramelized char on a hot dog this side of Top Dog.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #26 of 26
For all you New Jersey Texas Weiner fans here's a site you'll enjoy. I use to go to the one on Watchung Ave. in Plainfield in the 50s & 60s. In the article it's #33 an says it's on Front St. It wasn't it was very close to Front but was at 100 Watchung Ave. It opened in 1929.

http://www.thegourmetchilidog.com/vendors/nj/JohnFox_2006_01.html 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back