Metrum Pavane
Sep 11, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #137 of 682
Not sure if we are hearing the same thing. It's a buzz/vibration that I find to be very annoying.

Edit: at this point I think it's a problem with the recording, around 50% of piano recording got this annoying low level buzz, most are at the barely recognizable level but a few are quite bad, but I got other piano recordings with no such buzz at all.

I think it's the mic or the mic holder vibrating in sympathy with the piano that got recorded into the track... (and/or it's me switch to a pro monitor that enables me to hear them at last...) Another possibility is this is distortion from the 2 DAC summing inside the Pavane.

Another thing I noticed recently, fripSide needs to redo her CD releases, flat as hell, what a horrible mixing/mastering job.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #138 of 682
Oct 2, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #139 of 682
Oct 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #143 of 682
To me the totaldac has a more vivid sounding, slightly less bass and a richer mid range. The tone is quite different. But the depth of the soundstage of totaldac is a little bit better than Pavane.

Interesting. I wonder how the TotalDAC D1 Tube MK2 sounds? Having tubes in the output can allow some nice system tuning which at this level gets more and more important IMO. Stax 009s for example are seriously transparent and ask for a very smooth front end yet require detail and treble extension as well.

I changed the driver tube in my Audio Note 4.1 this week, and it changed the quality of the treble more than I could have realised. The tube I used is a Mullard ECL82 NOS 1950s. Warm and smooth yet extended.

I think Arnaud on here has the D1 Dual and the 009s + BHSE? Great system IMO.

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #146 of 682
Vivid means I feel like the sound from the totaldac is more colorful. Just a feeling. And yes the tatoldac d1-dual is a bit better. Pavane is awesome but still not good enough to defeat something that almost triple times more expensive.

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #148 of 682
I wouldn't judge stuff via price in the audio market of all places....has some meaning but most of the time way too subjective to say one is better simply because it cost x times more.  But I'm hoping to be surprised when I finally get that Pavane.  Supposed to ship this week we'll see.

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #150 of 682
  Are there anymore Pavane impressions out there?

While waiting more impressions on Pavane. How is your EMM Labs sounding? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back