Metrum Pavane
Nov 2, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #676 of 682
They are much cleaner sounding devices than the Pavane. I ended up preferring the “correct” digital sound they produce. The Pavane was fun but eventually I became frustrated with its lack of precision, oversampling externally or not.
I have compared once Pavane with qutest and Pavane was mile ahead qutest. At first qutest sounded more analytical but it was harsness that made this illusion compared to Pavane. Pavane had much better texture, depth, bass and prat. However I do not know how it does compare with eversolo new dacs or rme ect. Pavane is a beast out of question, but I do not know if it worth the price difference.

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #677 of 682
I have compared once Pavane with qutest and Pavane was mile ahead qutest. At first qutest sounded more analytical but it was harsness that made this illusion compared to Pavane. Pavane had much better texture, depth, bass and prat. However I do not know how it does compare with eversolo new dacs or rme ect. Pavane is a beast out of question, but I do not know if it worth the price difference.
Eversolo a6 is meh imo. It was harsh, thin, pseudo high resolution. Typical of poorly implemented ESS sound. Now they have launched a8.

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #678 of 682
I had hugo2 in 2017-18 … then I tried onyx & I was impressed with tone & timbre … pavane was no brainer.

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #679 of 682
Nov 2, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #681 of 682
With proper implementation of ext upsampling the flaws you mentioned are pretty much corrected.
HQP/PGGP upsampling have better results on true NOS dacs imo.

That was what I also reasoned but no amount of external upsampling could bring the clarity out of Pavane comparing to a $100 DAC. It was the OG, perhaps the situation is better with the v3 modules.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #682 of 682

The Rme and the eversolo will be similar to the cutest. The harshness is perhaps due to your speakers or headphones being too bright, and you need to EQ it. Rme has built in EQ, very useful for headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back