Metrum Pavane
Oct 30, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #482 of 682
For now the Amethyst is playing via Singxer SU1 (modded) through LVDS over HDMI to RJ45, far too long HDMI cable for now but it WORKS :)
breaking in/heating up everything, serious listening is for tomorrow. First impression is promising!

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #483 of 682
actually, promising is an understatement, S/PDIF was better than USB, but I2S is a leap forward over S/PDIF.

Nov 4, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #485 of 682
do you have any measurements in mind? width etc will be listed on their website

Nov 4, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #486 of 682
Any link for pavane measurements ?

I haven't seen any. You can find them for Amethyst tho, I think it is safe to assume the Pavane is a bit better as it is built around the same general architecture. In other words not spectacular, but reasonable for what it is. The THD spec of 0.006% sets the expectations. Would be interesting to see the confirmation of the claimed -155 dB noise floor, if true this would be impressive.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #487 of 682
Do you guys prefer SE or XLR out of the Pavane? I find myself to prefer SE by a tiny bit which is odd. But i know that my RCA Cables are way better than my XLR ones so maybe thats the reason.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #488 of 682
I thought the XLRs sounded worse too when I had the Pavane like more dry, but I was using a cheapo passive preamp for the XLRs so it may have had an effect too. I think the SE outputs are taken from the summing transformer which works sort of like a low pass filter reducing ultrasonic content and the XLRs are bypassing the transformer so you get NOS ultrasonic artifacts at full levels which may upset downstream gear.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #489 of 682
R2R should match quite well with tubes because they are less likely to be impacted by ultrasonic artifacts.

Nov 28, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #491 of 682
Did anyone tinker with RJ45 cables for I2S on the pavane?

My Amethyst now has I2S, for now through LVDS, next week I will get the Pink Faun HEA bridge using RJ 45 (fed by the Akiko LPS) as I expect to stick to Metrum/Sonnet for the near future and plan to roll some cable and am looking for some pointers.

Planning to compare Cat 8.1 ethernet cable, and some DIY versions using ; copper in cotton, UP OCC copper in PTFE, UP OCC silver/gold, my initial impression comparing a bog standard HDMI versus the Blue Jeans HDMI versus my home grown is that there are differences but far more subtle than with USB AND the burn in time is enormous.

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #492 of 682
Have any Adagio owners ever replaced the battery in their remotes? Mine is dead. I can remove the two rear screws and open it, but the battery must be on the other side of the circuit board and I can't get the bloody thing out.

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #493 of 682
Have any Adagio owners ever replaced the battery in their remotes? Mine is dead. I can remove the two rear screws and open it, but the battery must be on the other side of the circuit board and I can't get the bloody thing out.

I haven't had to change mine yet but I'm interested in this as well, because it's only a matter of time. Good luck!

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #494 of 682
You can find the manual on the metrum website, changing the battery does not appear too difficult
Open case, flip over replace battery put circuit board back in , close case.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #495 of 682
I have had an email from Cees with instructions.

It wasn't clear to me how to get the board out, it is in very tight and obviously damage was a concern. However, once the back is off, flip it over to the front and press as hard as you can on the bottom volume button, then each button above in turn until it comes out. You have to press a lot harder than you'd think. At the end a small amount of force is still needed to get the top of the board out.

It would have made far more sense to have the batteries on the other side, but at least they last a while.

Now I am off to see if Sainsbury's has some new ones. I haven't listened to my main system in at least 6 months, probably longer. So excited :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back