Metrum Pavane
Jan 17, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #497 of 682
build in what? for the Pavane etc it should be as simple as taking a screw out of the USB board, lifting it it and seating the I2S board.
MQA (why bother with a corrupted high res format) should be a plugin, however, it is no longer listed on the website.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #498 of 682
build in what? for the Pavane etc it should be as simple as taking a screw out of the USB board, lifting it it and seating the I2S board.
MQA (why bother with a corrupted high res format) should be a plugin, however, it is no longer listed on the website.

The web site is a work in progress, so it's to early to say whether MQA support has been dropped. No loss if it is in my view, but we're all different.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #499 of 682
I'm not sure if they dropped MQA or just missed to add it to the site...it seems they are scrambling for a bit, we're in our second lockdown, they just started afresh etc....

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #500 of 682
I'm not sure if they dropped MQA or just missed to add it to the site...it seems they are scrambling for a bit, we're in our second lockdown, they just started afresh etc....

I exchanged e-mails with Cees last week, I'm sure they'll get on top of things soon. I am so pleased to see him back at the helm.

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #501 of 682
Hey guys,

I recently got a steal on a L3 Pavane. I’m new to NOS so please bare with me. I am using single ended and USB so I’m almost certain this is where these impressions are coming from but do any of you feel like the Pavane is a bit too warm? It doesn’t really seem to be a great pairing with already warm headphones (like my Eikons). I didn’t really get this feeling with warmish DACs before like the Bifrost so it could just be getting used to the NOS sound. Even with USB I don’t really think I’m missing out on detail but I do feel like there’s a little bit of a veil going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #502 of 682
Hey guys,

I recently got a steal on a L3 Pavane. I’m new to NOS so please bare with me. I am using single ended and USB so I’m almost certain this is where these impressions are coming from but do any of you feel like the Pavane is a bit too warm? It doesn’t really seem to be a great pairing with already warm headphones (like my Eikons). I didn’t really get this feeling with warmish DACs before like the Bifrost so it could just be getting used to the NOS sound. Even with USB I don’t really think I’m missing out on detail but I do feel like there’s a little bit of a veil going on. Any help would be appreciated.
One of the trait of NOS is thick Warm sound. Plus they do need few days of warm up to get a bit neutral but will never be as neutral as DS DAC. Also avoid USB and get better source to use I2S or AES oe COAX with Metrum DAC. Source with focused and sharp sound may help alleviate few issues that you have.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #503 of 682
One of the trait of NOS is thick Warm sound. Plus they do need few days of warm up to get a bit neutral but will never be as neutral as DS DAC. Also avoid USB and get better source to use I2S or AES oe COAX with Metrum DAC. Source with focused and sharp sound may help alleviate few issues that you have.
Is the consensus that I2S is the best input over coax? I got a raspberry pi that I want to get a Allo Digione Signature HAT for but if I2S is the best then I may just get a Hermès/Amber.

Do you find that a NOS DAC pairs best with neutral/brighter headphones? With warmer headphones it doesn’t feel right.

I am not a D/S fan at all - had the Qutest and RME and hated them. Sounded too bright and artificial.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #504 of 682
I used the L3 Pavane with Allo DigiOne and USBridge, all feeding high-end Naim amplification/speakers. The Allos are amazing products at this price tag. I then upgraded to the Ambre via i2S. This brought the SQ up another few notches. The reason I changed to i2S in the first place was that I met Cees, its maker, at a trade show and he recommended it over coax and USB. Hope this helps.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #505 of 682
Is the consensus that I2S is the best input over coax? I got a raspberry pi that I want to get a Allo Digione Signature HAT for but if I2S is the best then I may just get a Hermès/Amber.

Do you find that a NOS DAC pairs best with neutral/brighter headphones? With warmer headphones it doesn’t feel right.

I am not a D/S fan at all - had the Qutest and RME and hated them. Sounded too bright and artificial.
Digione is good and is right way to get away from USB but need clean power for HAT. Just stay away from USB

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #507 of 682
NOS rolls off high frequencies in the audible range with 44.1khz sampling rate material, that is the main reason for the perceived warmness if that is what you listen to.

Actually, after letting the Pavane warm a bit more it sounds smooth but not as veiled as I was describing. The impressions were after 3 hours of being on. It's been on for about a day now and it sounds much better. I will still mess with HQPlayer to see what changes are preferable but we bought this thing for NOS so that's the way it should stay imo. Obviously, do whats best for your ears.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #509 of 682
You can’t make a blanket statement that all NOS DAC’s do that. Case in point, listen to the silent Morpheus which was next up in Cees’s evolution of his DAC’s Very musical and details, without being harsh and fatiguing.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #510 of 682
I can because that's an inherent property of any NOS DAC, at 44.1 kHz sampling anyway. The roll off is gentle, so it doesn't necessarily rob you of details but it is there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back