Melbourne Meet 2010 - 20.03.2010 impressions
Mar 20, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #61 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice looking meet! Did I see girls/women? My old and tired eyes must be lying to me, it just can not be ...
wink.gif

That is right, its Yukari, the GIRL who organized the whole thing, feels they are taking over
wink.gif

Jokes aside, she's a nice head-fier, who's been to other international meets ,so she knew a little more then most of us.

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #62 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well done guys and girls! Looks like a well put through meeting.
Anyone besides 'yukari' who actually tried my former SR-404. I would appreciate if the Stax love spread.
wink.gif

I did listen to the STAX, it was a little dream come true listening to an electrostatic combo.
Since it was my first time , i played some vocal jazz, and immediately I could feel this endless mid-range not very forward therefore very enjoyable, the bass and treble were very decent.
I would love having this setup for my jazz and country music,if only it was not that expensive
beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #63 of 250
The headphones that I expected to definitely dislike actually loved them, they were the K701's,I was really impressed by their detail, for the first time I could hear guitar detail from some of my favorite tracks, details of every single string and for those who say that there isn't enough details, I feel there is plenty just amp them correctly and they will dance
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #65 of 250
I listed to all the Grado's out there including my very own
smily_headphones1.gif
and the one that really impressed was the GS1000,these are the ones people tend to forget while upgrading along the Grado line, but boy are they nice, the low end extends way beyond my SR325is, they are very smooth and extremely detailed,nice looking as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #66 of 250
The T1 was everyone's favorite, it was probably the only real Hi-Fi headphone there, apart from the GS1000,Duckman did have this awesome rig going for him, the guy knows his sound
smily_headphones1.gif

i really really liked his amp, nothing like what I've heard before.

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #67 of 250
I didn't get around to trying the DT990, the Stax or HD650. Those were the three I really wanted to try
frown.gif
Well at least I now know what the T1 sounds like and I don't think it is for me, too revealing for my meal collection
biggrin.gif
I need to get into other genres before I go out buying heaps of headphones
tongue.gif
I think it is safe to say I will be selling my ALO-780 now. They are beautiful looking and the bass and highs are wonderful, but I am looking for something different. Might be selling my DT880 too
confused.gif
. Damn this hobby, too many decisions and disappointments.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #71 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't get around to trying the DT990, the Stax or HD650. Those were the three I really wanted to try
frown.gif
Well at least I now know what the T1 sounds like and I don't think it is for me, too revealing for my meal collection
biggrin.gif
I need to get into other genres before I go out buying heaps of headphones
tongue.gif
I think it is safe to say I will be selling my ALO-780 now. They are beautiful looking and the bass and highs are wonderful, but I am looking for something different. Might be selling my DT880 too
confused.gif
. Damn this hobby, too many decisions and disappointments.

I think that ALO-780 is very fantastic items with beautiful clear sound
smile_phones.gif
I'd tried this yesterday, the sound reproduction is great and powerful
darthsmile.gif
.... Unfortunately, I've just bought Ultrasone PRO2500 from my friend....
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #72 of 250
Naww
frown.gif
Selling off gear is tough. Every once in a while I crave that sound signature and I love to own as many things as possible, but I have to sell things to buy other things, as I have no income
frown.gif
I think I will sell the DT880 or ALO-780 and get into DIY cables and make a profit to fund for future purchases
smily_headphones1.gif
If I did make some custom interconnects, would there be anyone here in Australia actually interested? I would list them on ebay
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now trying to choose which to sell, DT880 or ALO-780
frown.gif
Both look stunning and sound good. I think the ALO-780 has too much treble in the high frequencies and too much emphasis on the bass as well as the treble, I hear very little mid range, which is terrible for rock and metal. My HF-2 reign supreme
smily_headphones1.gif

Funny how I put off buying more Grado's. I tried Ultrasone and Beyerdynamic and I have gone back to Grado again hehe. Well, it's all about trying different things I guess
smily_headphones1.gif
I do LOVE how drums are presented on the DT880s, but there are too many flaws on it compared to what I would like.

Grado HF-2: In the studio where the band is playing, 1 metre in front of the band members playing/singing.

DT880: In the studio, 3m in front of the band members, behind a very thin object (plastic sheet? glass? etc).

The DT880 just sound as though they are more accurate, have more bass (sounds kinda dark), has a wider soundstage and more detail.

HF-2 are a very nice can to rock out to and get me engaged with the music. I would love a can to listen with at night time when the Grado's bright treble is too much for me, but I don't want the cans to be as dark(?) as the DT880s.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #73 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by t/sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did listen to the Stax at meet and from the moment the music started it was clear there was an open window to the music, very enjoyable.

You know, I would love to grab some albums, the Stax and find a big old tree with dappled shade and get lost in detail.

Specialshade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did listen to the STAX, it was a little dream come true listening to an electrostatic combo.
Since it was my first time , i played some vocal jazz, and immediately I could feel this endless mid-range not very forward therefore very enjoyable, the bass and treble were very decent.
I would love having this setup for my jazz and country music,if only it was not that expensive
beerchug.gif

Pleases me to hear that you both highly enjoyed it.
biggrin.gif

A system based on the SR-404 can be somewhat expensive, but depending on the energizer you should come a long way with $8-900.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #74 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif

as krmathis said, its not that expensive. I see you're looking for a wa6 - for that price you can get a pretty good secondhand stax setup.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #75 of 250
Thanks to organisers for a very enjoyable time and for everyone who dared lug their gear to the crime capital of Melbourne :)

Special thanks to Shawn's lovely wife for organising the cafe for us. It was wonderful having nice food and drink at such cheap prices, and being looked after so well.

Yukari: and I mean this affectionately: you are the most insane IEM person I have met. I could not believe your collection. Thank you for bringing it all in for us and for sharing your headphone wisdom. I was shocked to see the tiny size of the Mustang. If I had received that tiny thing in the mail from the US, I would have though someone was playing a joke on me! Wish I had had a listen, but my LOD is damaged and I only had patience to try it with the iqube - which was a lovely listen indeed.

Standouts for me were the RS-2 and SR-325i. I can imagine that the 325 would get fatiguing after a while, but it really thumped with rock music. I quite enjoyed the DT990 (600 ohm) also. Perhaps a bit too much bass for my tastes, but a nice surprise overall.

Was impressed with the Mapletree, and would like to spend a week rolling tubes with it :) and comparing it with the Auditor. It actually fixed the slight vocal recession I feel with the Auditor/T1 combo. The Auditor is not fully burned in yet, so it's difficult to make a judgement yet...

The only IEM I heard was the RE0 and it was fantastic. Perhaps the best treble I've heard in an IEM, and presented the music I like very enjoyably. It compares very favourably to my TF10 and perhaps the RE0's treble gives it the edge... though the TF10 competes very strongly in the mid and bass region. I wish the RE0 had memory wire like the UE's, but at that price... it is a no brainer.

Thanks again everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back