Meine AKG K340 elektrostatisch-dynamisches System Kopfhörer sind gerade angekommen!
May 25, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #331 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blackgold recable [one run of copper and one run of silver for each side of the driver, or signal and ground if not balanced]
No cotton, no bluetak, taped up cable entry holes.
K501 headband, velour pads, elastics tweaked [getting a good seal and a perfect fit with the K340 is critical]

With regards to the recable, if unbalanced, how does one decide which side to use copper and silver on? Would it make a difference if signal was silver and ground was copper, or the other way around?

Aditya

May 25, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #332 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With regards to the recable, if unbalanced, how does one decide which side to use copper and silver on? Would it make a difference if signal was silver and ground was copper, or the other way around?

Aditya

It's Friday night my friend, If you think you're going to get a reply from philodox tonight...well let's just say I wouldn't wait up. And if he did reply it might be hard to decifer.
very_evil_smiley.gif
If he and Duggeh ever got together, well the pub would have a very profitable night.
tongue.gif

May 26, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #333 of 383
Quote:

Aditya

I would use either all copper or all silver in the signal paths. But that's just me.
wink.gif

May 26, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #334 of 383
Well, I have no idea why I am still up at this time, I guess I'm just rocking out to my newly Cardas modded K340's! Wiring it up with all that copper did a lot for the peakiness I was noticing at times. It is a substantial improvement even at a first listen. Granted, I've never heard a fully Headphile'd K340, but I think it'd be tough to match this improvement. Now, gotta get around to doing that screen mod...

Aditya

May 26, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #335 of 383
Sorry if that wasn't clear, but that is one run of silver and one run of copper to one side of the dynamic driver and likewise to the other side. So there are 4 wires going into each earpiece. There are then jumpers in the same config [one run of each] that go to the circuit board and then to the electret.

At least that is what I understand... it is possible there is something else going on there as well since Larry likes to keep some mystery about his cables and won't give out all his secrets.
smily_headphones1.gif

There is little benefit to bi-wiring the dynamic driver and electret unless you are also planning on bi-amping.
wink.gif

May 26, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #336 of 383
Ah OK, that makes more sense. If I ever get my hands on another pair of K340's, I may have to try that out. Also, I didn't bi-wire it (as I have no intentions of bi-amping it...yet...), instead, I wired the UP-OCC wire from the dynamic driver solder points to the PCB, where the old black crappy wire used to go. Just a little more than an inch on each side. And speaking of bi-amping the K340's, has it ever been done?? And how would you decide what kind of amp to use for which driver, or would you use identical ones??

Aditya

May 27, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #337 of 383
Bi-wiring does not make much sense as it will only raise the cable capacitance as a whole. It is indeed a different story if you plan to bi-amp the phones. It's do-able since the phone is basically like a 2-way speaker (w/ 2 separate drivers). What amp combination to use is up to individuals and it's what makes this game fun. I've seen a pic of the K340 being bi-amped here. I think that was philodox (oops!) but I haven't been able to recall which thread that was in.
tongue.gif

Cheers!

Edit: Found it!

Quote:

Ah OK, that makes more sense. If I ever get my hands on another pair of K340's, I may have to try that out. Also, I didn't bi-wire it (as I have no intentions of bi-amping it...yet...), instead, I wired the UP-OCC wire from the dynamic driver solder points to the PCB, where the old black crappy wire used to go. Just a little more than an inch on each side. And speaking of bi-amping the K340's, has it ever been done?? And how would you decide what kind of amp to use for which driver, or would you use identical ones??

Aditya

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #338 of 383
I seriously never thought I would find another headphone that is harder to drive than the K340... but here it is. Why is it that headphones which are hard to drive sound so lovely?
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #339 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seriously never thought I would find another headphone that is harder to drive than the K340... but here it is. Why is it that headphones which are hard to drive sound so lovely?
biggrin.gif

here it is? Where?

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #340 of 383
Let me see if I can take a picture.
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #341 of 383
Ok, lets see if you can figure it out. Sorry about my poor camera skills... and the bland expression.
biggrin.gif

Headphones2.jpg

Headphones.jpg

And no, they're not Darth Beyers.
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #342 of 383
That stunned, cat-caught-in-the-laundry look could only come from listening to the sonic onslaught of....

..or rather a modern amp (ie, one with lots of attitude), having to work hard for the first time in its pampered life, trying to drive the immensity of...

..the strangeness of...

..the otherworldliness of..

..the sheer chocolaticity of..

..the alien flatness of..

..uh, can't think of it, 's on the tippa my tongue.. er..

Choco something.. uh..

Dang!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back