Meine AKG K340 elektrostatisch-dynamisches System Kopfhörer sind gerade angekommen!
Feb 16, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #301 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Great impressions guys. I particularily like music with spatial effects on the K340's. Stuff like The Junior Boys, DJ Spooky and any binaural recording. It is almost eery, sends chills down my spine.
340smile.gif

Early stereo recordings (the ones where they play with the left and right channels) are really fun!

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #302 of 383
I finally got my K340s recabled. I actually had to desolder the pcb from the electret in order to do it, but so far it seems to have all went well. For wire I used 22awg silver plated copper with teflon insulation. Next I'll probably do some kind of screen mod.

After some 5 hours of listening I find them quite a lot better than unmodded, but I have some mixed feelings about them too. There is more overall resolution and the mids are still very smooth and nice. With mellow and acoustic music I find them extremely nice. HOWEVER, with some music I find the treble and upper mids quite shrill and sometimes, especially with hard rock and heavy metal, it gets almost unbearable. For example, the guitar solos on Pink Floyd's track Time are just too much. I can't stand it even on low volume levels. I haven't read anything like this about these phones here so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with mine. Could it be that my source and amp are too bright, or something else? As source I have an EMU-0404 and as for now I'm using my integrated NAD C320BEE for amplification.

I also have a ppa + steps and OPA627s under construction and I'm wondering if it will work well with the K340s?

Feb 22, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #303 of 383
I used the Emu 0404 with my A900's and with my friend's DT931. This sound card is very bright for my taste.

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #304 of 383
My Velour earpads arrived yesterday. Its clearly indicated on the bill that its for K240/340. They look very good in quality. After removing the old pleather ones and comparing them to the new velours I have seen that the new ones are a little bit smaller in diameter. I said to myself that its going to be a pain to put them on K340 and my fear came true! I have spend about an hour to put both of them on. Now my K340 is on a new comfort level (but my hands and nerve system are not). I am not sure if the smaller diameter effects the sound. I have to listen them with different recordings which I can remember the sound while the the pleather ones were on.

Mar 17, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #305 of 383
I hadn't been listening to my 340's for a while because of the shrill highs I was percieving, but today I decided to play aroung with the foobar eq and what did I notice? My akg k340's have a huge spike at around 3000Hz! I tweaked the eq for a little while and voila, my k340's suddenly sound quite wonderful and no shrill highs anymore!

Now, what might be the cause for that spike? I don't think I have read about anything similar around here. I figured out that a standing wave inside the cups could be around 3000Hz, but could that really be the case?

I'm using emu0404 -> PPAv2(opa627)

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #306 of 383
Weird, never had any problems with shrillness with either of my K340's.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #307 of 383
the ear canal frequency of resonance is about 3000Hz, maybe thats what you've been hearing?

Mar 18, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #308 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88
the ear canal frequency of resonance is about 3000Hz, maybe thats what you've been hearing?

If that was the case, wouldn't I hear it with other headphones too? I've never had this problem with any other headphone, and my friends can hear the 3000Hz spike too.

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #309 of 383
very intresting, surpricingly yiu are the first I know who encountered that problem.

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #310 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean
I finally got my K340s recabled. I actually had to desolder the pcb from the electret in order to do it, but so far it seems to have all went well. For wire I used 22awg silver plated copper with teflon insulation. Next I'll probably do some kind of screen mod.

After some 5 hours of listening I find them quite a lot better than unmodded, but I have some mixed feelings about them too. There is more overall resolution and the mids are still very smooth and nice. With mellow and acoustic music I find them extremely nice. HOWEVER, with some music I find the treble and upper mids quite shrill and sometimes, especially with hard rock and heavy metal, it gets almost unbearable. For example, the guitar solos on Pink Floyd's track Time are just too much. I can't stand it even on low volume levels. I haven't read anything like this about these phones here so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with mine. Could it be that my source and amp are too bright, or something else? As source I have an EMU-0404 and as for now I'm using my integrated NAD C320BEE for amplification.

I also have a ppa + steps and OPA627s under construction and I'm wondering if it will work well with the K340s?

Better source will fix that
icon10.gif

May 23, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #311 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... with some music I find the treble and upper mids quite shrill and sometimes, especially with hard rock and heavy metal, it gets almost unbearable.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I seem to be having the same 'shrillness' problem. Some details: I've recabled mine with Mogami Neglex as main cable and solid silver as jumper wires. I've screen-modded it and directly connected the dynamic drivers to the main wires. In addition to the existing cotton, I've also added foam disc in each of the driver chamber. The sound is, however, a tad too bright for my liking, almost Grado-ish. It's unbearable when the music peaks and some of the magic midrange seems obscured by the excess highs. Do you think the silver jumper wire is to blame for this?

May 23, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #313 of 383
tried reducing the mechanical damping? take out the foam and see what happens.

May 23, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #314 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tried reducing the mechanical damping? take out the foam and see what happens.

I'll try removing it tomorrow then. Strange though, I listened to the modded K340 prior to the foam addition and I thought adding in the foam actually helped reduce the sharp highs. I'll see what happens tomorrow anyway.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back