Meine AKG K340 elektrostatisch-dynamisches System Kopfhörer sind gerade angekommen!
Oct 9, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #361 of 383
Quote:

The final thing that put me off were strange echo and resonance things happening on some records.

I've heard the same thing in all pairs of k340's I've listened to, but it was a lot worse in the more bass heavy pair I heard.

Biggie.

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #362 of 383
If only my Lambda can have dynamic bass.
smily_headphones1.gif
LOL

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #363 of 383
The k340 I've got would have to be the bass light version because there is no way in hell anyone would ever use the term bass heavy with them. Best I've had them sound is taped up cable entry holes, no front grill and no dampening. The thing that does cause me some concern is the resonance when I'm playing a record that has allot of pops and clicks the sounds of the pops and clicks are quite "Plastic" sounding with more resonance than just a "tick". I'm thinking of trying some blue-tac on the baffle may help not sure. I can certainly hear the potential in the cans but right now I feel like I'm just being teased.

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #364 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The k340 I've got would have to be the bass light version because there is no way in hell anyone would ever use the term bass heavy with them. Best I've had them sound is taped up cable entry holes, no front grill and no dampening. The thing that does cause me some concern is the resonance when I'm playing a record that has allot of pops and clicks the sounds of the pops and clicks are quite "Plastic" sounding with more resonance than just a "tick". I'm thinking of trying some blue-tac on the baffle may help not sure. I can certainly hear the potential in the cans but right now I feel like I'm just being teased.

I found this self adhesive felt in 12" x 12" sqaures at Joanne Fabrics. I think that applying a piece to the back wall of the cup, might correct this problem. I use about 1/2 of the normal cotton in mine, and don't get the resonance.

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #365 of 383
Jay if you get the chance to make it to Jim's, listen to the MkII's on his balanced β22 (unless mine is finished) with the 'Epic Opus'. That will be the system I'll be using along with my PS Audio Lambda CD transport. If my β22 happens to be finished (that would be doubtful though this quickly) it will employ the Twisted Pear Joshua Tree logarithmic stepped attenuator, that will be worth a listen.

And thanks again for the package buddy!

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #366 of 383
I hope I do get a chance to visit Jim... and don't worry, I'll try them on your system as well as on mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Will give Renato a call today for an update. Last time we talked he wasn't sure what he was up to this weekend.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #367 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly don't know if there are different versions of the K340, but I'm starting to believe there are. The bass heavy version I heard had the same damping as mine when I heard them, and they were very different. Night and day different. I hated them, they were boomy and tubby with the same weird reverb described.

Mine have tight well controlled bass that may be a bit on the light side. The mids are glorious, and not at all overpowered by the bass, and the highs are clear and detailed.

There are. I know, having gone through 5-6 pairs.
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #368 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
wualta - I really was surprised that they are harder to drive than my K340's. I've been listening to them at 2-3 clicks higher.

They're less efficient, but they're actually easier to drive-- it's just that you need to turn them up a little louder. But your amp will drive them with minimal heating and premature clipping, and the protection circuitry, if any, will stay in hibernation. In other words, though you have to turn them up a bit more, they're such an easy (aka nonreactive) load that the amp will sound as good as it's ever likely to sound; it won't mind supplying the extra volt-amps.

Glad you like 'em. Be assured there's more to come.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #369 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're less efficient, but they're actually easier to drive-- it's just that you need to turn them up a little louder. But your amp will drive them with minimal heating and premature clipping, and the protection circuitry, if any, will stay in hibernation. In other words, though you have to turn them up a bit more, they're such an easy (aka nonreactive) load that the amp will sound as good as it's ever likely to sound; it won't mind supplying the extra volt-amps.

Cool, nice explanation. Learning's fun!
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #371 of 383
hehe, yeah, I resurrected it to yap about how hard to drive these Chocolate Donuts Steve sent me are. It's pretty funny to go back to the first page and see pics of my old apartment... and the portable rig that is driving my first pair of K340's. Just a wee bit different than what I'm listening to now.
340smile.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #372 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's a good explanation, because they're rated at 150Ω I believe. I used the same volume setting to produce a matched volume with my K340 on my dual Darkvoices. However warrior05 and I are now wondering if underpowering them results in a loss of deep bass. I'll know more later.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #373 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly don't know if there are different versions of the K340, but I'm starting to believe there are. The bass heavy version I heard had the same damping as mine when I heard them, and they were very different. Night and day different. I hated them, they were boomy and tubby with the same weird reverb described.

Mine have tight well controlled bass that may be a bit on the light side. The mids are glorious, and not at all overpowered by the bass, and the highs are clear and detailed.

That has been my exact experience. The differences in tonal balance are especially significant; the bass-heavy version was HD650-like in bass levels with much less treble extension. My bass-light version is bright and almost Ety-like in tonal balance though with a very linear but evenly elevated treble. I am driving it with the warmest, soupiest sounding amp I could find, so that overall the system sounds quite balanced.

My pair does sound a bit like a Lambda with dynamic bass, though the mids are far better, and everything is crisper and more focused.

It's honestly disturbing how much better it is than just about any <$1k headphone I've ever heard. And it's bone stock!

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #374 of 383
Now I have to hear one of these different sounding K340 or I will never know what I missed. On the other hand I don't think I want to get involved with a headphone that has such production inconsistency, I will never be sure what I am going to get, at least all Lambdas sound the same.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #375 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
..However warrior05 and I are now wondering if underpowering them results in a loss of deep bass. I'll know more later.

Underpowered in the sense of not having the reserves of current that, say, a vintage speaker amp would have? In that case, definitely, because bass requires excursion and excursion requires current.

Beyond that, there seems to be a general gut feeling that Orthos are like little speakers and need more current than the average dynamic of the same impedance. Myself, I don't know. Maybe your tests will bear that out.

There's also underpowered in the sense of not having the voltage swing to drive a high-impedance 'phone, but that's a clipping problem, not a weak-bass problem.

Anyway, we're discussing a modded Orthodynamic in a K340 thread because we're looking forward to the final showdown of the Mk II Chocolate DonutPhone vs. the modded K340. Meanwhile, we await Philodox's impressions of the Mk I vs. the K340.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back