Meine AKG K340 elektrostatisch-dynamisches System Kopfhörer sind gerade angekommen!
Oct 6, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #347 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a pic of him on the mirror...

His mirror must've been put up backwards then, because everything is reversed!

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #348 of 383
wualta - I really was surprised that they are harder to drive than my K340's. I've been listening to them at 2-3 clicks higher. Given that my K340's are usually around 12 oclock on the Massive Attack though, I have quite a bit of breathing room. Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
attack of the killer donuts..

So do these things kill you K340 or does it still hold it's own?

They don't kill my K340's, but they do some things better. Certainly gives me a good idea of what I can expect with YH-100 drivers though. I am officially hunting for them full force now.
evil_smiley.gif

Preliminary impressions: Highs are more clear and detailed on the donuts. Bass is different, not sure which I prefer. K340 still wins for the mids, but these are close. K340 has them beat in soundstage, but they image just as well.

LOL, yes it is a mirror pic.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #349 of 383
I posted this in the Stax thread, I thought you might be interested in my rumblings. I wounder what can fix the K340 issues I encountered, or what headphones will sound simular but without the issues.

Quote:

I sold my bass heavy K340 after extensive comparisons to SR-Lambda and MB QP85. I like K340 a lot, but it has a few very annoying things about it's sound. It sounds slightly muddy and boomy in the mid bass and midrange is pushed forward. The final thing that put me off were strange echo and resonance things happening on some records. It sounded very very good with rock and electronic music. I listed to some Zappa recently and it sounded better than SR-Lambda, more involving and guitar was just incredibly rich and dynamic. The soundstage was also smallish and bass resolution was pretty bad, although it had a lot of impact. SR-Lambda somewhat sounded thin and brittle in direct comparison, but so much more resolving still.

I think I will still need a pair of headphones for rock similar to my bass heavy K340. But I need to find a pair without the resonance issues.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #350 of 383
I can't believe I hadn't seen this until now.

Yep, anyone listening to these on your typical amp will do them the same injustice as the K340 underpowered. They are power hungry beasts!
That's why I couldn't let the original Donuts go to just anyone.
340smile.gif

Of coarse there was an ulterior motive as well...now you'll need a matching stand for the Donuts.
very_evil_smiley.gif

They are Apples and Oranges to the K340 IMO. They have a very different sound signature, and I agree with Jay's comments. If he gets to hear my new MkII's (coming to a town near him soon!) with the YH-100 drivers, he's really going to be impressed!

I ask you fellow Head-Fiers... Can we just stand around around doing nothing, when we know that foreign (Canadian) children are going without the basic necessities? Won't someone search their soul and find the compassion to donate a pair of YH-100 drivers to this poor child in need? I'm not asking for frivolous donations like shoes, or food, I'm asking that this child be granted the bare necessities we American's take for granted every day!

I know someone will do the right thing!

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #351 of 383
Well my K340 were not underpowered. I feed them good 2-3 watts of pure class A single ended MOSFET power with a nice tube preamp section
wink.gif
Unfortunately Stax SR-Lambda still pulled ahead.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #352 of 383
Quote:

I posted this in the Stax thread, I thought you might be interested in my rumblings. I wounder what can fix the K340 issues I encountered, or what headphones will sound simular but without the issues.

I heard my first pair of bass heavy K340's about 8 months ago, and I agree with your acessment. I found them muddy with an odd echo as well. I think they were eventually tamed by changing the damping, but I don't know the formula used. FYI they were very different from my K340's.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #353 of 383
Quote:

Well my K340 were not underpowered. I feed them good 2-3 watts of pure class A single ended MOSFET power with a nice tube preamp section
wink.gif
Unfortunately Stax SR-Lambda still pulled ahead.

That comment was not directed at you. I didn't see your post until after I posted about the Donuts.
I think the problem is damping not amping.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #354 of 383
Dude, I need someone to let me hear the right kind of k340. I want to know how different they are from my "bass in you face reverb all over the place" pair.
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #355 of 383
Quote:

Well, a better amp for starters... and maybe a better pair of K340s. Mine don't have any of those issues. Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ask you fellow Head-Fiers... Can we just stand around around doing nothing, when we know that foreign (Canadian) children are going without the basic necessities? Won't someone search their soul and find the compassion to donate a pair of YH-100 drivers to this poor child in need? I'm not asking for frivolous donations like shoes, or food, I'm asking that this child be granted the the bare necessities we American's take for granted every day!

I know someone will do the right thing!

LOL, well... I'm hardly a needy child, but I would love to buy a pair of those drivers if they should pop up. Quote:

Well my K340 were not underpowered. I feed them good 2-3 watts of pure class A single ended MOSFET power with a nice tube preamp section. Unfortunately Stax SR-Lambda still pulled ahead.

Speaker amp? That might have given you a taste, but they really aren't made for headphones. When I tried my K340's out of my T-amp, the bass was all over the place and they sounded pretty harsh. Quote:

Dude, I need someone to let me hear the right kind of k340. I want to know how different they are from my "bass in you face reverb all over the place" pair.

Well, I may still be going to the Florida CanJam... but it is not 100% yet. That aside, I wouldn't mind coming down for another NYC meet at some point. The first one I went to was lots of fun.
340smile.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #356 of 383
Quote:

Of coarse there was an ulterior motive as well...now you'll need a matching stand for the Donuts.

Missed this on the first read. You bad!
smily_headphones1.gif

They actually both fit on my current stand pretty well, but we'll see.
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #357 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, a better amp for starters... and maybe a better pair of K340s. Mine don't have any of those issues.

That might have given you a taste, but they really aren't made for headphones. When I tried my K340's out of my T-amp, the bass was all over the place and they sounded pretty harsh.

No, headphone amp. I custom made a beast that can drive anything. Tube / MOSFET hybrid. I once just for kicks hooked it to speakers and it pushed them just fine. I has USSR military grade variable resistors on the input and thus can be used with many different headphones. I also tried them with Dared MP5, my amp blows Dared a way completely.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #358 of 383
I honestly don't know if there are different versions of the K340, but I'm starting to believe there are. The bass heavy version I heard had the same damping as mine when I heard them, and they were very different. Night and day different. I hated them, they were boomy and tubby with the same weird reverb described.

Mine have tight well controlled bass that may be a bit on the light side. The mids are glorious, and not at all overpowered by the bass, and the highs are clear and detailed.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #360 of 383
Quote:

No, headphone amp. I custom made beast that can drive anything. Tube / MOSFET hybrid. I once just for kicks hooked it to speakers and it pushed them just fine. I has USSR military grade variable resistors on the input and thus can be used with many different headphones. I also tried them with Dared MP5, my amp blows Dared a way completely.

Yeah, I realized that I got you mixed up with someone else, oops. Well, beating the Dared is pretty easy.
biggrin.gif

It is really hard to say if your custom amp can 'drive anything', but I'll take your word for it.
wink.gif
Quote:

I honestly don't know if there are different versions of the K340, but I'm starting to believe there are. The bass heavy version I heard had the same damping as mine when I heard them, and they were very different. Night and day different. I hated them, they were boomy and tubby with the same weird reverb described.

There are certainly pairs that sound different... just not sure if it is a version thing, a poor quality control thing or a wear/age thing. Quote:

Mine have tight well controlled bass that may be a bit on the light side. The mids are glorious, and not at all overpowered by the bass, and the highs are clear and detailed.

Yep, that sounds like my pair.
340smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back