Meier Audio StageDAC
Mar 8, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #526 of 634
Quote:
I thought the StageDAC can't do 8X oversampling (bottom setting) with 96kHz input.  The manual says: "Note: 8-fold oversampling is only possible with digital input signals with sampling frequencies up to 48kHz. 4-fold oversampling is possible with signals up to 96kHz and 2-fold oversampling can be used at all sampling frequencies up to 192kHz." This is at the bottom of the 4th page, in the "Selection of the oversampling factor" section.

I've never tried 96kHz files, but the 8-fold oversampling might explain the fuzz you're experiencing. 

You're right. The StageDAC can't be set on the bottom setting while listening to 96khz, and that's what the fuzz was about.

I'm wondering what the best setting is (considering 95+% of my music is 44.1khz, not 96khz).

My guess is to leave computer outputting 44.1, versus 96khz, and having the StageDAC on the bottom oversampling setting.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #527 of 634

Quote:

You're right. The StageDAC can't be set on the bottom setting while listening to 96khz, and that's what the fuzz was about.

I'm wondering what the best setting is (considering 95+% of my music is 44.1khz, not 96khz).

My guess is to leave computer outputting 44.1, versus 96khz, and having the StageDAC on the bottom oversampling setting.

Most of my music is 44.1, although I have a few downloaded 96khz from HD Tracks, etc.  I have set the Audio/Midi settings on my Mac Mini to output everything at 48/96.  That way I don't have to change settings for different music.  

As long as you do this when iTunes is not running, it will use these settings when you next start it up.  My Mini connects to my StageDAC via optical, and, you're right-8x oversampling is not possible when it's receiving info at 96.  The StageDAC can do 384, so the oversampling control is really just a multiplier.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #529 of 634
It's interesting to note that the top-bottom filter option, minimum phase apodizing filter, is also used in the 15000$ Meridian G808.2.

WM8741 has five digital filters in total, I wonder if they're all available through different pulse response/upsampling combinations on the StageDAC. Bottom-bottom is linear phase brickwall, medium-top looks like minimum phase soft knee (which is incorporated in a 6000$ Ayre DAC). Eliminating pre-ringing with digital filters is certainly getting popular.

1. Linear phase "soft knee filter."
2. Minimum phase "soft knee filter."
3. Linear phase brickwall filter.
4. Minimum phase apodizing filter.
5. Linear phase apodizing filter.

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #530 of 634

Quote:
Quote:

I set 44.1khz on my mac for convenience. Upsampling 44.1khz files to 96khz on mac just make the music sounds artificial.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #531 of 634
What settings have you guys found yourself using for Pulse and Oversampling?

I went with both on the bottom, just because the user manual said it would give it that tradition dac signature...

So I was just curious to see what other owners have been using.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #532 of 634

Quote:
What settings have you guys found yourself using for Pulse and Oversampling?

I went with both on the bottom, just because the user manual said it would give it that tradition dac signature...

So I was just curious to see what other owners have been using.

Just set it to what you like!

I toggle between both bottom (more detailed and brighter) and both middle (a little warmer) depending on the genre I listen with 44.1khz files. Some people like it top-bottom but it sounded weird on my speaker.

It will also depend on the sampling rate of your source because 8X oversampling cannot be used for 96khz source file and 4X / 8X oversampling rate cannot be used for 192khz source file.

I am still thinking if I should get Concerto.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #533 of 634
Actually I have both in the middle, the bass in the middle and crossfeed on but I think it depends on your preferences and what you like most. I have to confess that I dont hear a great difference within the different positions :)

btw. what is the traditional dac signature??

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #534 of 634
Quote:
Actually I have both in the middle, the bass in the middle and crossfeed on but I think it depends on your preferences and what you like most. I have to confess that I dont hear a great difference within the different positions :)

btw. what is the traditional dac signature??

That wasn't a direct quote or anything. I just remember it saying something like that, while having the two on the middle settings is supposed to sound most analog.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #535 of 634
Naaaa...nooo, I didnt want to judge you :)) Meanwhile I ask myself what it is a traditional dac setting because of interest :).. Maybe it is a non oversampling dac..It would be logical regarding the old friend Nyquist :)

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #537 of 634

Quote:
Just set it to what you like!

Some people like it top-bottom but it sounded weird on my speaker.

What uelover said first.  I think it really can depend so much on the synergy of equipment you are using it with, as well as the files themselves, as uelover indicated.

So, for instance, I'm one whose speaker setup seems to work well with Top (Pulse)/Bottom (Oversampling), though I may play around a little more under headphones.  All this with Mid (Delay), Top (Intensity) and Mid (Tonal Balance), utilising Speaker Crossfeed when through speakers and no crossfeed under headphones.

Works for the setup I currently have it in though I'm sure I'd keep playing around if I moved it with other equipment (which is the advantage of this particular DAC - flexibility to adjust).

Have one exploring your StageDAC!

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #538 of 634
I wasn't asking to base any decisions on opinions, just out of curiosity. I've decided to just stay with both pulse and oversampling on the bottom.

One thing I did change, after some good listening, was my tonal balance setting. I used to keep it on the top setting, but with the LCD-2's, it sounded a bit congested. Leaving it on the bottom setting, adding no tonal balance, gave back a lot of airiness and more believable, 3d, soundstage.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #539 of 634
I am a happy owner of the StageDAC/Concerto/T1 Combo but all these DAC, Crossfeed amd Tonal setting choices are overwhelming!
So far I *think* I prefer:
Pulse: Middle
Over-S: Middle
Delay: Bottom
Intensity: Bottom
Mode: Middle
Tonal: Bottom

I was wondering what configurations other StageDAC/T1 users have arrived.
tks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back