Meier Audio StageDAC
Jan 14, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #496 of 634
I also compared the USB input to the SPDIF coax on the Stagedac and while they are very close you can definatly detect differences when listening carefully. I personaly prefered the coax as it I thought it was a tiny bit  more detailed, especially in the treble. As you said the USB sounded fuller while the coax is slightly more detailed and brighter. I can easily understand why somebody would prefer one over the other. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #497 of 634
I listened to a fast rock track with male vocals in it. I got a shock as I suddenly felt that I don't know the guy anymore at all! The tone is totally wrong and the pace is a tad too slow!

I changed from the USB cable back to my Optocoupler toslink cable and the tonal balance is corrected. With my toslink cable the soundstage, imaging, resolution are all a step up over the USB. The only problem about optical is that the sound is a little thin. USB sounds warmer and fuller. It takes time and many different tracks to identify clearly the superiority of one cable other the other. Not sure if the toslink sound is due to the sound signature of Van Den Hul or the general trademark for optical cable. For the time being, the optical input will stay. USB is going back to box.

Maybe I will need a USB converter. Might curious to try Wireworld optical cable too =(

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #498 of 634
I've got a Stage DAC and Concerto on order.  Should be here in a couple of weeks.  

Originally I was thinking that I might want to disable the DAC's volume pot, so as to have two separate fixed outputs.  That way, I could feed both the Concerto and my Woo WA6SE.  

I might still try that, if it doesn't look I will do any damage opening the DAC up; but, then again, if the Concerto/Stage DAC combo is as good sounding and quiet as I've heard, the Woo might eventually be found in the For Sale section here at Head-Fi.

I'll be using 2 sources with the Stage DAC, also:  my Marantz CD5003 disc player (coax) and a new Mac Mini with my iTunes library (optical).  If using the Mini as a music server works well for me, the Marantz may soon be on the auction block as well.

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #500 of 634
So there's no way to run two separate power amps out of the Stage DAC, then?

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #502 of 634
If I did run two power amps (Meier Concerto and Woo WA6SE), should I keep the StageDAC volume control maxed, and just use the volume controls on each amp to control loudness?

If I did that, would the volume output from the StageDAC be the same through both sets of outputs?

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #503 of 634
[size=x-small][size=medium]I guess I've answered my own question; I found this in the StageDAC manual:[/size][/size]

"The fixed output level of the STAGEDAC is 2.2 Vrms. When using the volume controlled connections the output level can be varied from 0 to 2.2 Vrms using the dial on the right front side of the converter.  Volume is increased by clock-wise rotation."

So if the StageDACs volume control is set to maximum, both sets of outputs should be putting out the same volume.  Has anyone tried this--that is, connecting two different amps to the unit?

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #504 of 634

Quote:
I listened to a fast rock track with male vocals in it. I got a shock as I suddenly felt that I don't know the guy anymore at all! The tone is totally wrong and the pace is a tad too slow!

In theory, the DAC and cable would not changed the tone and pace of music - they just work passively. There should be something wrong in your computer side obviously.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #505 of 634

Quote:
So if the StageDACs volume control is set to maximum, both sets of outputs should be putting out the same volume.  Has anyone tried this--that is, connecting two different amps to the unit?

For the volume, the answer is yes. But if you don't need the volume, you can disable it then both inputs are identical in circuit point of view.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #506 of 634

Quote:
Quote:

In theory, the DAC and cable would not changed the tone and pace of music - they just work passively. There should be something wrong in your computer side obviously.

I guess its time to change one
beerchug.gif

I am not sure what is affecting the differences. Maybe its the USB receiver on StageDAC.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #507 of 634

@Man At Work,
Wrong. See my comment further up. Disabling the variable output also bring a slight improvement in SQ according to the manual.
@ Red jacket, My stagedac is connected to a Concerto and Darkvoice (variable) without problem.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #508 of 634

Quote:

@Man At Work,
Wrong. See my comment further up. Disabling the variable output also bring a slight improvement in SQ according to the manual.
@ Red jacket, My stagedac is connected to a Concerto and Darkvoice (variable) without problem.

Thanks for the response.  So, you do have the stageDAC volume control set to max, then, and are using volume controls on both of the amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back