Meier Audio StageDAC
May 5, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #541 of 634
Has anyone tested this DAC with an external and well regulated PSU as a means to evaluate how much more SQ can be squeezed out of this baby?

May 9, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #543 of 634
Thanks, from the product description and this thread I can tell it's a quality PSU; just asking because someone might have testes an external model with better results.

May 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #544 of 634
xaval
i see you are an audiolab fan. have you trialled the 8200 range?

i am looking to trial the 8200cd or cdq, and possibly the mdac.
will be interesting to compare with my stagedac.

May 9, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #545 of 634
I guess you can say that as I've owned a few Audiolabs along the years and the CDM/DAC combo still remains and, as the amp and speakers, have stood the test of time - are they old enough to be badged vintage?

I've been tempted to upgrade the DAC but haven't really felt an upgrade was justifiable (as per my view as a financial proposition) as there seems to be an amazing synergy and I've moved house 3 times since I own this system :).
Audiolab has come up with a couple models that sounded a bit better, however, not that much better as to justify the box swap. I'm obviously looking forward for the MDAC for that giant leap :)

May 15, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #546 of 634
I've been a happy owner of a silver Stagedac for almost a year.
So, to celebrate its first birthday, I got it a little brother...

I ordered one in black. 
tongue_smile.gif

Seriously.  I have become something of a Stagedac fanboy.
I have tried multiple sources with my headphone setups.  and none of the others give me the sound that i've fallen in love with from the Stagedac.
So, I've decided to make two headphone rigs with it as the source.  (home and work)

And so, my musical fidelity M1 DAC will move into the living room, and become the DAC for my home theater.
And my iStreamer will remain my mobile and bedside source.

And I will be one happy camper....  
biggrin.gif

In a perfect world, sure, the Stagedac would have balanced outputs.
But, I'm so taken by its sound signature and its crossfeed and filters that I'm willing to take balanced out of the equation for now...

That's an endorsement if there's ever been one!

May 15, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #547 of 634

Quote:
I've been a happy owner of a silver Stagedac for almost a year.
So, to celebrate its first birthday, I got it a little brother...

I ordered one in black. 
tongue_smile.gif

Seriously.  I have become something of a Stagedac fanboy.
I have tried multiple sources with my headphone setups.  and none of the others give me the sound that i've fallen in love with from the Stagedac.
So, I've decided to make two headphone rigs with it as the source.  (home and work)

And so, my musical fidelity M1 DAC will move into the living room, and become the DAC for my home theater.
And my iStreamer will remain my mobile and bedside source.

And I will be one happy camper....  
biggrin.gif

In a perfect world, sure, the Stagedac would have balanced outputs.
But, I'm so taken by its sound signature and its crossfeed and filters that I'm willing to take balanced out of the equation for now...

That's an endorsement if there's ever been one!

Well done!!!!! :)

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #552 of 634
I use KRK RP 6 - sound can be compared to AKG 271 mkII or ATH W5000. Midrange is in front.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #553 of 634

Quote:
Just looked them up. How do they sound at $150/pair? I'm looking for a good budget bookshelf speaker to complement my LCDs

pretty good for the money.
my impression of them is that they are not quite as good a "near range" monitor as i'd have liked.
they actually sound really nice from 8 feet out and further away.
but, decent at 7 feet or closer.

when you get too close, the bass loses a bit of focus, and the highs become a bit edgy.
but, with a little distance, everything balances out nicely.

they have quite a few nice features for the money as well.  (including balanced inputs, tonal adjustment, gain knob, etc.)

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #555 of 634

Quote:
and... 
here it is.

the blue LED looks nice beside the Virtue TWO.2

L3000.gif

where do i get a headphone stand like yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back