Meier Audio Daccord
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #421 of 715
  As for the amp, I don't know their definition of "dynamic", but apparently it differs from mine. I agree 100% that Jan's amp is nearly perfectly neutral with not even a subtle emphasis one way or the other - and that's how I roll. But this amp is most CERTAINLY dynamic. I suspect that maybe he left it in the low gain setting when he was listening to his LCD-2s, I don't know, but when I had the 2s in here the Classic drove the balls out of them. As Frank I has also mentioned lately, it's also a ridiculously good pairing with the Audeze LCD-Xs. There is no limitation in dynamics whatsoever with this amp. 

But anyway, at least Jan can probably feel as if his gear was treated more fairly this time around...but I have no doubt that Frank I's review will be a more accurate representation of the Meier's brilliance. 

Even when I read the review, I went "Huh
confused_face_2.gif
not Dynamic", maybe my definition of dynamic is wrong
wink_face.gif
. I find it an amazing pairing with HE 500.
On a side note, is the LCD-X less dark than LCD-3 & closer to T1 sound. I found the LCD3 a bit dark for my liking ?

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #423 of 715
  Even when I read the review, I went "Huh
confused_face_2.gif
not Dynamic", maybe my definition of dynamic is wrong
wink_face.gif
. I find it an amazing pairing with HE 500.
On a side note, is the LCD-X less dark than LCD-3 & closer to T1 sound. I found the LCD3 a bit dark for my liking ?

Nah, it's not you :)  They seem to be equating dynamic with some sort of quality of the amp that results in a tipped up treble or emphasized low end, i.e. something other than neutral. The Meier amp is neutral, but also very dynamic. Oh well, at least it was better than the last article lol. 

And I haven't heard the HE500s, but I know it's a great pairing with Jan's amps...and that's because Jan carries the line now 
biggrin.gif

I haven't heard the LCD-3, but hopefully Frank or someone else can chime in on that one. I don't consider the X to be a dark headphone, if that's helpful at all. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #424 of 715
The combo is doing well with my listening sessions with some difficult to drive cans like the alpha dog it is on low gain and doing very well. I am enjoying the Daccord as well .  I am about a month or so away from writing this review as I want to use it for that period of time to asses the two units but so far I will say it had done everything I have expected from it and never had any urges to with to the reference system. This is a good sign of solid engineering and musicality.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #425 of 715

Thanks for posting that.

But anyway, at least Jan can probably feel as if his gear was treated more fairly this time around...but I have no doubt that Frank I's review will be a more accurate representation of the Meier's brilliance. 

No problem. Meier deserves the publicity.
Frank I's reviews accurate? Good thing we don't all have the same ideas, this world would be a boring place. No offence, Frank I.

Edit, to come back to the Daccord, I do tend to use that a lot more than the Classic too. It really do is the strongest point of the combo, imo.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #426 of 715

No problem. Meier deserves the publicity.
Frank I's reviews accurate? Good thing we don't all have the same ideas, this world would be a boring place. No offence, Frank I.

Edit, to come back to the Daccord, I do tend to use that a lot more than the Classic too. It really do is the strongest point of the combo, imo.

None taken.  I think every person has their own preferences and it is all subjective anyway.   The only thing accurate in a review would be the facts you are presenting, otherwise it is one person observations of the gear being reviewed. Before I wrote reviews there were reviewers I felt had similar preferences to mine and used that as a starting point when I wanted to listen to a piece of equipment. More often than not I usually liked that gear when I heard it from those reviewers I followed.

The biggest point for me with gear is do I want to keep listening or do I want to shut it off. I can honestly say with the Meier Stack I have not wanted to turn it off and have listened for hours at a time with no fatigue. Thats telling me the pieces are playing music and not missing much of the performances.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #427 of 715
That is very true, but that is also very personal. You might like it a lot, but reviewer X might not like it. Doesn't mean the unit is good or bad, it's the reviewers opinion. And as a result I think it is hardly possible to give a fully objective review that pleases everyone. As you say, you have to find a reviewer that shares your tastes

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #429 of 715
Regarding the Headfonia review: curious as to why the review didn't include the writers' own HD650. 
Neutrality is usually considered a good thing with audio gear, if you seek coloring then change out the HP.
I can't comment on the HP's reviewed, as I don't own any of them.  

However, I'm impressed with the Classic Stack and the synergy with my higher end HP's including the HD650.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #430 of 715
  Regarding the Headfonia review: curious as to why the review didn't include the writers' own HD650. 
Neutrality is usually considered a good thing with audio gear, if you seek coloring then change out the HP.
I can't comment on the HP's reviewed, as I don't own any of them.  

However, I'm impressed with the Classic Stack and the synergy with my higher end HP's including the HD650.

Exactly, and you just hit upon one of the issues I had with the last review that Headfonia posted about one of Jan's past amps. Some of what they criticized it for were EXACTLY what most people I know WANT in their amps lol. It was just so odd to read. It came off like there was some sort of bias against Jan or his gear. Not saying there was or wasn't, just that it came off that way. The current review seems significantly more objective

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #431 of 715
Hey guys,

Has anyone had an issue with the volume knob? Recently the volume knob of my Daccord has been making 'crunchy' noises when I turn the knob. Mostly around the 8-12 o'clock marks.

I have isolated the uni (no power or any wires attached) and it still makes the noise. Leading me to believe it's a mechanical problem. 

The noise itself seems to be coming directly from under the knob.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!

edit: after opening up the daccord, the problem appears be the shaft for the volume rubbing against something. There is also some sticky (glue?) on the inside of the case, see attached picture. Not sure if this is meant to be lube for the shaft because it is very sticky...

edit 2: after some thought, I think it's just some of the glue drying up and when the knob gets turned it makes a crunching noise.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #432 of 715
That Headfonia "review" was a resounding 'meh' for me. Not nearly the hackjob of the first one, but not anywhere near the quality of a well-considered examination like you could expect from Project86, Skylab, Tyll (even when I disagree with his POV, which is rather often), or some of the Stereophile writers. Seemed pretty amateurish IMO. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #433 of 715
  That Headfonia "review" was a resounding 'meh' for me. Not nearly the hackjob of the first one, but not anywhere near the quality of a well-considered examination like you could expect from Project86, Skylab, Tyll (even when I disagree with his POV, which is rather often), or some of the Stereophile writers. Seemed pretty amateurish IMO. 

Agreed. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #434 of 715
Btw, in an utterly unrelated note: I know a few of us chatted a while back about maybe getting a meet together, so I wanted to let you know that there's a meet planned in Nashville for May 10th if anybody's interested. The date is tentative at the moment, but I'm guessing it'll stick. And I believe I've offered to buy beers for a couple of people... :wink:. Hope some or all of you guys can make it!! 

At the very least, somebody with a Classic or a Concerto need to come up so I can listen to one :p

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #435 of 715
  Btw, in an utterly unrelated note: I know a few of us chatted a while back about maybe getting a meet together, so I wanted to let you know that there's a meet planned in Nashville for May 10th if anybody's interested. The date is tentative at the moment, but I'm guessing it'll stick. And I believe I've offered to buy beers for a couple of people... :wink:. Hope some or all of you guys can make it!! 

At the very least, somebody with a Classic or a Concerto need to come up so I can listen to one :p

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Dude I'm there 
beerchug.gif

On the Nashville thread I listed what I'll bring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back