Meier Audio Daccord
Sep 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #316 of 715
I have to correct the above statement.  I was using the fixed output>Classic Amp.  The variable output is a different story, the more the Daccord is engaged the better the sound, to a point, past about the 90% mark, the volume became too sensitive to adjust.

At the suggestion of another Head-Fi member, I recently tried experimenting OPPO BDP-105 DAC>Classic Amp>T1. and compared with 105> Daccord>Classic>T1.  The Daccord Wolfson DAC blew away the Sabre DAC out of the OPPO.  Significantly better clarity, soundstage and audio separation. Not even close.  As a reference disc I used The Killers "day and Age."  The T1 is the only HP I've tried so far, as it is far and away my best HP.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #317 of 715
I finally got around to connecting my Oppo BD-93 to the Classic, and I agree...I was shocked at how much worse it sounded than with the Daccord in the mix. Even with movies, the entire presentation changed for the worse. I am going to try using the Oppo as a transport only next to see if I can hear any difference between the actual CD and the music streamed via Apple AirPlay. 

But yeah, the Oppo was truly shocking to me...it could't compete. Jan has really designed one hell of a DAC here. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #318 of 715
  I finally got around to connecting my Oppo BD-93 to the Classic, and I agree...I was shocked at how much worse it sounded than with the Daccord in the mix. Even with movies, the entire presentation changed for the worse. I am going to try using the Oppo as a transport only next to see if I can hear any difference between the actual CD and the music streamed via Apple AirPlay. 

But yeah, the Oppo was truly shocking to me...it could't compete. Jan has really designed one hell of a DAC here. 

The Daccord was so much better than the OPPO DAC out. I didn't expect to hear the difference.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #319 of 715

The Daccord was so much better than the OPPO DAC out. I didn't expect to hear the difference.

I agree...I honestly thought I had something connected wrong. I tried several different volume levels, but the sound was just completely lifeless compared to the Daccord. I know the crossfeed helps, but this was more than just that. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #323 of 715
  I am planing to buy new digital cable for Daccord. Which interface is best on Daccord? Coax, USB or Optical?

Haven't tried the optical,  but between the Coax and USB I really think the Coax is shockingly good.  Keep in mind I'm running the Coax off a decent CD player (OPPO BDP-105).  MacAir>Amarra>USB sounds great, but CD's thru the Coax>Daccord blew me away.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #324 of 715

Tried out the stock OPPO optical today.  Hard to compare to the coaxial since I was using it off my turntable.  Different source but sounded superb. Frankly vinyl has never sounded better to me than with this setup.

Check out the DAC 24/96 conversion off the ADC. It is reading the high resolution audio off Yes "Fragile." The Rolling Stones "Tatoo You" converted to 24/44 as 24/88 is not optioned via the Daccord. Vinyl is so smooth.  More of a preference issue for me.  From my standpoint CD's sound technically good but miss the richness and warmth of vinyl.  The Daccord is really versatile just impresses the hell out of me.

I recently upgraded my Phono cartridge so I just had to find a way to get the sound to the Daccord. So this is how I did it.

Pro-Ject TT>Super OM20>ADL GT40>Meier stock USB>OPPO BDP-105>Stock OPPO optical>Daccord>Classic>T1

The Daccord rocks 
beyersmile.png

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #325 of 715
Beautiful, clean set-up! 
beerchug.gif

I was off work today, so I spent my morning enjoying the Elton John concert from the iTunes shows....sounded great through the Daccord!

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #326 of 715

Haven't tried the optical,  but between the Coax and USB I really think the Coax is shockingly good.  Keep in mind I'm running the Coax off a decent CD player (OPPO BDP-105).  MacAir>Amarra>USB sounds great, but CD's thru the Coax>Daccord blew me away.

Did comparison of inputs(USB, Coax, Optical) and in my opinion Coax sounds the best. As a source I used my PC/Audiophile Linux(Mint with real time kernel). All digital cables were around 100$.

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #328 of 715
  Did comparison Daccord vs MF M1 vs Audiolab M-DAC vs MF v90. Daccord is on another level. Even M-DAC couldn't compete. 

Can you elaborate a bit more ? 
smile.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #329 of 715

Can you elaborate a bit more ? 
smile.gif

M-DAC sound is not as musical compare to Daccord. M-DAC is little bit bright, bass is not as present and overall sound is little bit clinical.
Daccord is the most transparent and neutral DAC I have ever heard. Daccord has also better resolution in my opinion. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #330 of 715
I was asking Jan about the idea of a crossfeed "buffer" type of product, cause I honestly can't imagine ever being without this feature again...that way anyone could add his brilliant circuit into their existing signal path, regardless of what amp/DAC they chose. Much to my surprise, even though there have been companies like Headroom, who have been strong proponents of crossfeed, Jan DID have a product that was a stand alone crossfeed buffer but it never caught on. 

I really can't understand this...to my ears, the crossfeed is perhaps the answer to one of the final barriers in terms of my headphone experience rivaling or surpassing my speaker experience. I've never been the sort who can listen to music non-stop on headphones for a long period of time, cause it has always been too much "in my head", if that makes sense. The crossfeed - Jan's, at least - does such an amazing job of allowing the music to sound so much more natural that my tolerance for it is endless now. I'm off work the last couple days, and I literally had my headphones (various pairs) on for the entire day. I went back and forth among movies, to youtube vids, to music, to my AppleTV and the iTunes concerts that are streaming currently, etc, etc. It must have been from like early morning all the way until about midnight that I had headphones on. The Daccord was at the heart of all of that, and if not for the crossfeed I would not have thought that possible. 

It's very surprising to me that more people aren't taking advantage of this type of feature. I don't know if other crossfeed applications simply aren't as robust and effective as Jan's, or what, but I truly cannot be without this now. I'm just thankful that the DAC that it's paired to is the best DAC I've ever owned...I ended up selling the highly regarded MyDac since it was a bit on the bright side and didn't always play nice with my AppleTV....to have such a wonderful feature on a DAC that I have come to consider the best I've owned/heard is really a beautiful thing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back