Meier Audio Corda Soul - TOTL DAC/AMP/DSP
Nov 4, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 358
@rasmushorn

Are you known as "Burning777" on Hoved-Fi? If so, did you get the approx 2000 Euro price directly from Jan? I know meet conditions aren't ideal for gear evaluation, but can you give us a more detailed description of the sound? Thanks.

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #18 of 358
5FDE6395-3265-4D70-AA71-BF5176E29D48.jpeg
945F42AA-4785-410A-8319-5D014E495F0B.jpeg 1CA9E687-4B0A-410A-ABCC-6A35760A7D36.jpeg

Thought you might like some pictures I took in the time Jan lend me the prototype. I really like the bulky case. Unfortunately Jan plans to slim it more down.
BTW it even has a Emphasis filter in case you have some old CDs and the CD-Player does not correctly filters it in the digital signal.

Nov 5, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #19 of 358
On paper this is my dream machine. Impressions I've read here and elsewhere so far seem to bear this out. Living in rural Australia, however, I doubt I'll ever get to hear it. Out of my price range anyway.

Nov 6, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 358
@rasmushorn

Are you known as "Burning777" on Hoved-Fi? If so, did you get the approx 2000 Euro price directly from Jan? I know meet conditions aren't ideal for gear evaluation, but can you give us a more detailed description of the sound? Thanks.

Yes - Burning777, that is me :)

Yes, it was Jan who, when I asked for a circa price, said in the 2000 Euro range. But he also said it was depending on production, number of preordered products etc. He said it was expensive, but when compared to some other products I listened to in a higher price range, I would not hesitate to say this one sounded better and for what this package contains it might even be called a bargain. It is high end in every detail.
I do not want to say anything specific about the sound other than it was VERY attractive to my ears. I am not good enough to articulate my impressions. I have been a fan of the Meier sound for many years and I do not think he can make a sound, that I would not like instantly, neutral, open, fast. Then this product comes, which is as Jan put it "...all my dreams for the perfect circuit in one product..." and it certainly was a dream DAC+amplifier product. End-game for a lot of people I am sure. With Jan Meters products you pay for SOUND, not marketing or expensive cabinets. The implementation of the cross-feed, the signature adjustments on the front and the DAC-filter, I really liked immediately. I don't know if the crossfeed was implemented differently or if it was an effect of the quality of the amplifier, or the fully balanced design? But applying the different levels of cross-feed just sounded better than on my current Daccord(ff)+Classic(ff) pair. Added more natural space and air to the music. I am keeping my eyes on this project and if I can afford it I might go for it.

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #22 of 358
What is the DAC ?

Based on the specs on the Meier Audio page, Jan will be using 2 x Wolfson DAC chips (WM8741) in dual mono mode, which is the same as used in the current Corda Daccord. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #25 of 358
The 1st and 3rd options for me, although I like the photos of the prototype too ...

The 3rd option is the is the same length, but even shorter (28cm x 8.4cm) than the current daccord/classic stack (28cm x 13.4cm), which sits nicely as a desktop unit vs "home hi-fi" size imo

I was just planning to make room for a big box if needed, smaller form factor for the same result would be nice though, cheers

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #28 of 358
The first one is the least messy design. My favorite.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #29 of 358
FWLIW my brain is drawn to the first and fifth designs, but I'm a portable person so not a prospective customer.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #30 of 358
Dear headfellows,

" It appears to be balanced out only? "

Yes, and the reason is very simple. Any high-end DAC-chip has balanced outputs and to produce a single ended output would require an extra amplification stage for de-symmetrisation. Thus balanced by nature is superior (one amplification stage only). Moreover, the extra costs and space required for a single ended output would be quite high as it would require it's own series of relais for control volume.

" Looks like there's no analogue input "

Although the prototypes do have analog inputs, these will be missing on the final product. The reason is simple. Crossfeed, tone-controls, notch-filter, de-emphasis, .... are all done in the digital domain and this functionality goes lost with an analog input, unless the analog signals are digitalized internally. The implementation of high-end AD-conversion is beyond the scope of this product though.

Cheers

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back