Meet the Sennheiser IE 80 S
Oct 10, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #31 of 89
Proud first owner in UK.
I think the 80s are very distinctly improved update.i vaguely remember the originals being of high quality, but too dark for my taste meaning yes..bass but a little on the vailed side.
These new babies are way more balanced and refined and very detailed listen with one of the best ergonomics in the business. New cable is fab but i also ordered 4.4 balanced from Null Audio for ZX300 as well as standard 3.5 copper.lets see..
I am gonna give them plenty of burn in time as the DD will likely improve much after 200h or so but the enjoyment is there and the fullness of sound is special next to much more expensive iems sounding clearer but thinner.
Few friends that are musicians like myself but (typically :))dont spend or care about headphones but know good sound when they hear it, basically no expectations tried them next to Xelento, Oriolus 2 aurisonics harmony and prefered them for having fun full sound!
They do indeed immediately remind you of Senns Pro gear and hd25s.
One other thing is they upscale fantastically with better amps!

Very excited about IE800s too and 4.4 option which also feature on the new desktop amp. Sony and Senns in Harmony, world's getting better☺❤
Will likely buy it first again haha
Seems to be round the corner
This is real German quality guys!!!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #32 of 89
Got the IE 80 S in today. For me they are slightly better than the IE 80.
IE 80 S (Bass dial on lowest setting)
+ Fit (more comfortable due to the smaller housing.)
+ Bass (does not leak into the lower midrange)
+ Better balanced sound
+ Nice case

Is it worth the retail price when enjoying the IE 80?
Personally I think it doesn't. Otherwise certainly a recommendation.
Hopefully Sennheiser will add cable options (2.5mm balanced, 4.4mm balanced) for those who live the balanced life. :wink:

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #35 of 89
Sennheiser DE also seem to have the headphones available for purchase (349€)

To the senn reps in the house, few questions regarding the accessories:
- Is the new RCs IE cable using the same pin design as the ie 80 / ie 8?
- Is the stem width for the tips the same as with the ie 80? Noticed the provided comply tips don't have a wax guard and was wondering what models would fit (e.g. S600 or TX500 as with the ie80?).
- When will the accessories (extra cable / tips) be available for purchase? They are currently listed on the DE site but without a price or buy option.

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #36 of 89
few questions regarding the accessories:
- Is the new RCs IE cable using the same pin design as the ie 80 / ie 8?
** Yes **
- Is the stem width for the tips the same as with the ie 80? Noticed the provided comply tips don't have a wax guard and was wondering what models would fit (e.g. S600 or TX500 as with the ie80?).
** Comply list the 600 range as compatible for the IE 80 (S), nozzle looks the same but I didn't measure **

Oct 27, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #37 of 89
Finding that out for you specifically, and I'll update you here! Thanks for the appreciative words, the feelings are mutual.

@Sound Eq , Audionewbi is right! A wide U-shaped frequency response, very cohesive due to using a single dynamic driver, the bass and treble have more energy and excitement due to raised dB but the IE 80 S doesn't fall into the trap of some U or V shaped headphones where the mids put vocalists in the background. The IE 80 was praised for surprisingly good imaging, with a soundstage of distinguishable width and depth, and the IE 80 S is also great in this regard. Feed it with Binaural tracks, on-location recordings, or video games with headphone surround processing and the IE 80 S does them justice! Around the office, we prefer different ear tips among us; about equal votes between which tips have the best comfort, but the Complys come out a head by a bit especially for those with more unique ear canal shapes, but the two different silicone tips are also popular for their durability and how fast they are to insert and clean.

The IE 80 S has the same connector to the cable, but the new cables have a strain relief added where we saw more wear on the cable in the IE 80. Another tip to prolong the longevity of IEM cables: try to pull them out by the IEM housing, not the cable. However, as in all things portable, of course things get snagged and accidents happen, so the strain reliefs should help that. On an aesthetic note, the right strain relief is also colored a crimson red, recalling the "right is red" mantra and signifying that the IE 80 S is indeed part of our high-end lineup.

Detailed here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meet-the-sennheiser-ie-80-s.859251/#post-13694731
The short version is we tweaked the existing IE 80 design based on community feedback without changing what people loved about the original, so that you can have longer listening sessions and longer ownership. Think of the IE 80 S as a blend of audiophile and professional gear, like an IEM version of our also classic HD 25.

Thanks everyone for your comments! We've also shared this thread's feedback with our project managers, and our Audiophile Lead Axel Grell. We should have more discussion and answers soon.:satellite:
will 0.78 CIEM plugs fit?

Nov 6, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #39 of 89
@acia No, it's a proprietary Sennheiser connector.
@larzy No. Only with the 800 S

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #41 of 89
@larzy According to the Sony product page footnotes, the 4.4mm balanced cable is only included with the XBA-N3BP.

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #42 of 89
I got sent a pair of these (arrived today) direct from Sennheiser as I had to return my ie8s due to sound quality and volume dropping in one ear issues and they simply said they'd send the ie80S as an upgrade no quibbling! Excellent customer service!
Only had 5 mins to check them out but already a huge improvement in depth of sound, bass sounds fantastic without using the dial, and the fit an enormous improvement, could never get the ie8 to fit no matter what tips... Looking forward to don't some listening... :)

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #43 of 89
Decided to buy them based my amazing experience with HD 800.
Received mine a few weeks ago. The Sennheiser IE 80 S is absolutely fantastic!!
Thanks to Sennheiser for this amazing product!
(And I bought Momentum in-ear for christmas present to my wife)

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #44 of 89
Decided to buy them based my amazing experience with HD 800.
Received mine a few weeks ago. The Sennheiser IE 80 S is absolutely fantastic!!
Thanks to Sennheiser for this amazing product!
(And I bought Momentum in-ear for christmas present to my wife)

I would be very interested to read your opinion on how the IE80S actually compare to Momentum in-ear. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back