Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #273 of 498
The write-up could mean that they are bass-light. Could mean that they are linear. Could even mean that they have a bass hump (although this would not be a very Sennheiser thing to do). Still waiting and seeing.

Read another early impression from another redditor who is familiar with the HD800. They said that the new HD820 sounded similar, perhaps a bit warmer but similar quantity of bass to the HD800. It sounded like senn pulled off sounding open despite being closed back, so that is big.

I’m fine with tunings of HD700 and HD800. I personally consider the sub-bass quantity below neutral on these headphones though. But it isn't a big deal. Would love if they managed to extend just a bit more, and for all we know, they very well do!

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #274 of 498
Focal is French while Sennheiser is German.
I'm expecting that they will focus on the technical aspects of the headphone than going into fashion.
I actually consider the glass as, at least, a creative design, though don't trust the company's explanation of its function (that 'effectively reflect and completely absorb' thing).

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #275 of 498
I'm disappointed in the lack of sub bass. They've got far less costly closed headphones (the HD598CS for example) that have amazing sub bass slam, yet it's not bleeding into the mids. In fact, I returned that one because of a lack of high bass to midrange warmth, and having strident treble. At least put a two way switch on it if anything, to give a user a 'I hate bass' setting, and true bass extension and quantity. The idea of such an expensive closed flagship wimping out below 40 hz is just stupid. For the record, there is a lot below there, especially valued by audio engineer folks.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #276 of 498
Damn...I thought the glass was "dome" shaped, like a lens on a camera...too bad, would have looked way better, now looks kind of cheaper with just a flat piece of glass?!

I actually like it better flat. Dome shaped would look kinda doofy to me and I would be so afraid they’d crack if I bumped up against something.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #277 of 498
I actually consider the glass as, at least, a creative design, though don't trust the company's explanation of its function (that 'effectively reflect and completely absorb' thing).

The glass doesn't absorb anything. From what I understand, the reflection is due more to the angle the glass is at, rather than because of the glass itself. I think the goal was to angle it in a way that the sound waves would go into the absorption chamber to minimize resonance. I'm also pretty sure the glass was chosen for an aesthetic reason: to reveal the transducer. At least that's what the Sennheiser rep at CES seemed to have implied.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #278 of 498
I'm disappointed in the lack of sub bass. They've got far less costly closed headphones (the HD598CS for example) that have amazing sub bass slam, yet it's not bleeding into the mids. In fact, I returned that one because of a lack of high bass to midrange warmth, and having strident treble. At least put a two way switch on it if anything, to give a user a 'I hate bass' setting, and true bass extension and quantity. The idea of such an expensive closed flagship wimping out below 40 hz is just stupid. For the record, there is a lot below there, especially valued by audio engineer folks.

First, we don't really know yet. I'm hoping it extends more linearly in the low-end. My open back LCD2 rev1 does this incredibly well.

That said the sub-bass portion of the headphone only goes down by -5db on the HD800. So it isn't 'stupid'.
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd800/

Differences of 5db aren't as audible as they seem to be. But I get where you are coming from, but the HD8XX series just isn't what you are looking for.

The HD630VB does what you are talking about. It has much more heft and representation on the lower end than HD800S/700/660S. Not to mention is adjustable for modern music styles like electronic, hiphop, movie score, ambient, etc. to bring some palpable rumble into recordings. Instead of a 'two-way switch' it has a variable dial. Most people here didn't give it much of chance. But I love it.

Check out the low distortion. Also, the step response is arguably more balanced than the HD800 depending on the VB setting.
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd630vb/

The 820 will destroy it in a number of ways though, I'm expecting minimal internal ringing / resonance, and spacious sound. Still the 630VB may actually be the closed can some may prefer. Get an HD800 or HD800S and a 630VB for portable/ closed and call it a day.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #279 of 498
https://www.phileweb.com/sp/interview/article/201801/10/524.html

Final sound tuning isn't done yet, don't take impressions from CES seriously (as if the loud ambient noise wasn't enough)
Their intention is to make it sound like the HD800S but with the isolation of a closed back headphone, do not expect revolutionary sound quality.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #281 of 498
https://www.phileweb.com/sp/interview/article/201801/10/524.html

Final sound tuning isn't done yet, don't take impressions from CES seriously (as if the loud ambient noise wasn't enough)
Their intention is to make it sound like the HD800S but with the isolation of a closed back headphone, do not expect revolutionary sound quality.
In other words, if you don't need the sound isolation, there is little reason to buy the HD820, save the $800 and get the HD800S instead.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #282 of 498

Yes, I would define the glass as creative, especially since in this way they are consistent with the HD800 design, it's an evolution, not a revolution.

Then for its function, it could be just a marketing explanation or not, but I really doubt that they would keep the glass if it would affect the performance of the headphones in a negative way.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #283 of 498
undoubtedly a closed back will result in a more linear extension but rapid drop off sooner. However, the driver just simply never put out much quantity and What seems to be a low amount of excursion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back