Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #301 of 498
I would've thought that a closed HD650 would've been a better place to start for a closed back audiophile Sennheiser. A $1000 extra just for a HD800 that's closed is risky. Do people who want closed really need closed 800 that they are willing to pay that much more for it. Also, If I had an HD800 or S and wanted a closed flagship, I wouldn't want a closed HD800, especially if it sounded the same. I'd want something to complement my HD800, most likely with more bass.
You’ve hit the nail on the head here. It’s all speculation of course at this stage, but if the objective of the HD820 was to recreate the already-excellent HD800/800S sound in a closed headphone, I simply don’t see the point. Yes it might make the HD800-series more appealing to people who prefer closed headphones, but like you say, those people (myself and many of my audiophile friends included) get a closed headphone to complement, not clone, the HD800. I personally prefer the warmer LCD-2 to the 800 as an open headphone but many HD800 owners seem to like the ZMF Atticus and Eikon as complementary closed headphones to the HD800. I have an Atticus myself, and it’s exactly what I want in a closed headphone - a warmer, punchier, more full-bodied sound than my more neutral, more resolving open headphone. Again, if the HD820 is aiming for neutral and open, I really don’t see the point.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #302 of 498
You’ve hit the nail on the head here. It’s all speculation of course at this stage, but if the objective of the HD820 was to recreate the already-excellent HD800/800S sound in a closed headphone, I simply don’t see the point. Yes it might make the HD800-series more appealing to people who prefer closed headphones, but like you say, those people (myself and many of my audiophile friends included) get a closed headphone to complement, not clone, the HD800. I personally prefer the warmer LCD-2 to the 800 as an open headphone but many HD800 owners seem to like the ZMF Atticus and Eikon as complementary closed headphones to the HD800. I have an Atticus myself, and it’s exactly what I want in a closed headphone - a warmer, punchier, more full-bodied sound than my more neutral, more resolving open headphone. Again, if the HD820 is aiming for neutral and open, I really don’t see the point.

You don't but believe me lot's of people will. Closed backs that sound that good are a rarity. Granted it would replace my HD800S if I got them and would be worth it to me if isolation is good.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #303 of 498
You don't but believe me lot's of people will. Closed backs that sound that good are a rarity. Granted it would replace my HD800S if I got them and would be worth it to me if isolation is good.
I guess as an HD800/800S replacement it makes sense. Especially if you want to use it at work or in noisier environments. Good point.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #304 of 498

I definitely see the point - IF it actually delivers on its promise to have an “open sound” but actually not leak like a sieve (which is personally the biggest factor in me occasionally using closed headphones when I’d prefer open), then it is the perfect closed headphone for my ears, and I’d only have other closed headphones for a “complementary” sound signature more typical of closed headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #305 of 498
I guess as an HD800/800S replacement it makes sense. Especially if you want to use it at work or in noisier environments. Good point.

For me home is both a noisy environment and HD800S noise is disruptive to others. And if some do not need or want a closed back headphone they can save some money and get the HD800S. By the way I will admit that I wish the HD820 were not so much more than the HD800S. Not complaining but I may be to much of a stretch for me given I already own the HD800S and a pair of Shure 940s as closed backs.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #306 of 498
A closed headphone is superior in most ways including a lower noise floor (and therefore better S/N ratio) and the isolation. The only reason people went with open headphones in the past was because closed ones did not traditionally have as wide a soundstage.

Today we have headphones like the Sony Z1R and now (likely) these HD820's which have as wide a soundstage as open headphones. There is no longer much reason to go with an open headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #307 of 498
A closed headphone is superior in most ways including a lower noise floor (and therefore better S/N ratio) and the isolation. The only reason people went with open headphones in the past was because closed ones did not traditionally have as wide a soundstage.

Today we have headphones like the Sony Z1R and now (likely) these HD820's which have as wide a soundstage as open headphones. There is no longer much reason to go with an open headphone.

Mostly true, I think, except at the office, I am lucky enough to not need isolation usually (I am usually alone in my office), so I don’t usually need isolation, but since it’s not unusual for a coworker to walk in and need to ask me something, it’s highly convenient that I don’t need to take off my open headphones to hear them - I can just pause audio or dial down volume as appropriate.

In that case, openness has a definite advantage for me beyond just sound preference.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #308 of 498
So it costs $800 more for the same sound and same treble balance? I was hoping for some sonic improvement (a more natural top end) given the added cost. Hmmm..

I am still cynical that it will sound the same or measure the same when it comes down to it. If they get it sounding 75% as good, I will be beyond impressed.

You appear to be missing the point of the achievement: this is a closed headphone. I'll repeat that as it seems to be lost on some: this is a closed headphone.

Making a closed can sound like an open can, if this is what they have genuinely done, is a major engineering undertaking. As I say, I don't expect that they really have, but if they have got closer than anyone has got before then hats off to them.

You expect them to add all these acoustic chambers, which it looks from photos serve to damp both the ear cup and the rear chassis, this curved glass panel, these new pads... and then for it to be the same price? Or cheaper if it doesn't sound identical to a headphone where they solve all these problems by just opening the thing and letting the sound pressure out? That makes no sense.

You basically feel that you should get something for nothing. The utility of a closed back set of cans, the sound quality of an open back set of cans using the same driver, and for it to cost the same?

I'm sorry Beagle, your expectations are unrealistic. If it sounds the same, it should absolutely cost more, because it obviously takes a lot more for them to achieve that while offering a closed design.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #309 of 498
I am still cynical that it will sound the same or measure the same when it comes down to it. If they get it sounding 75% as good, I will be beyond impressed.

You appear to be missing the point of the achievement: this is a closed headphone. I'll repeat that as it seems to be lost on some: this is a closed headphone.

Making a closed can sound like an open can, if this is what they have genuinely done, is a major engineering undertaking. As I say, I don't expect that they really have, but if they have got closer than anyone has got before then hats off to them.

You expect them to add all these acoustic chambers, which it looks from photos serve to damp both the ear cup and the rear chassis, this curved glass panel, these new pads... and then for it to be the same price? Or cheaper if it doesn't sound identical to a headphone where they solve all these problems by just opening the thing and letting the sound pressure out? That makes no sense.

You basically feel that you should get something for nothing. The utility of a closed back set of cans, the sound quality of an open back set of cans using the same driver, and for it to cost the same?

I'm sorry Beagle, your expectations are unrealistic. If it sounds the same, it should absolutely cost more, because it obviously takes a lot more for them to achieve that while offering a closed design.

Um, apparently MrSpeakers, maker of the $799 Aeon open and $799 Aeon closed did not get that memo.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #310 of 498
Um, apparently MrSpeakers, maker of the $799 Aeon open and $799 Aeon closed did not get that memo.

I'm a big fan of the Mr Speakers closed headphones. The best out there without a doubt. They do not sound open though, hyperbole aside. They sound great, but not open, and not spacious either.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #311 of 498

Making an open headphone closed, is not difficult.

Making a closed headphone sound just like an open headphone, is.

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #313 of 498
Now, there are leves of soundstage size, HD800S is one of the widest sounding open back headphones. This is considering everything out there, HD800S is clearly one of the widest there are, if @Sennheiser managed to put that in a closed back headphone, it would also be one of the largest soundstage headphone out there.

Some open-back headphones don't have the soundstage size of HD800S, Sennheiser really made them sound wide and open, now if that was possible to achieve in a closed-back variant (which I somewhat expect Sennheiser to be able to pull), it'll be quite the achievement, both technological and from an engineering point of view.

We're not talking about an open sounding closed headphone, we're talking about a closed back headphone sounding like one of the widest sounding open back headphones out there. I think that there is a slight difference there :darthsmile:

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #314 of 498
I'd be very interested to see these go up against the Diana and the Clear in the near future.

jack1.gif

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #315 of 498

OK, so how did AKG come up with the K872 which is a closed K812 that sounds the same and is the same price..$1499?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back