Meet the Sennheiser HD 660 S
Dec 28, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #316 of 396
As long as the driver placement and housing remain the same, the soundstage will remain similar, even with new drivers. So go get the HD700 and EQ them to fit your needs. The EQ will not change the soundstage of the HD700, but the HD660S cannot have such stage as it is physically impossible.
Agreed. May be a 650 driver in a hd 700 chamber can bring out incredible results.

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #317 of 396
Not exactly for me...hd 800/800s are very analytical and their only target is to push detail,

Not really in my opinion, the hd800S is one of the most musical headphone I've ever had or heard (I always wonder if people put them on the head with the proper tight fit). Detail is there in the real life. Anyway, a matter of taste as always, I think. And I get your point about your desire for a successor of the 600/650, despite I think that the 660S is a proper answer.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #318 of 396
Agreed. May be a 650 driver in a hd 700 chamber can bring out incredible results.

Those drivers are all fairly similar in their own "free" freq response, it's the housing that makes the difference.

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #319 of 396
Not really in my opinion, the hd800S is one of the most musical headphone I've ever had or heard (I always wonder if people put them on the head with the proper tight fit). Anyway, a matter of taste as always, I think.
Hd 800 was always regarded as a analytical hp unlike the 650's which were meant for easy listening and some even said that its more 'musical'. But i'll take ur opinion and try the hd 800s if they are any different. I thought that the hd 800s' were just a remake with the corrected treble response and black coloured exterior....

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #320 of 396
Hd 800 was always regarded as a analytical hp unlike the 650's which were meant for easy listening and some even said that its more 'musical'. But i'll take ur opinion and try the hd 800s if they are any different. I thought that the hd 800s' were just a remake with the corrected treble response and black coloured exterior....
And a slightly warmer bass yes. They are overall similar, but it's one case of little objective difference that can make a "big" subjective difference. Nevertheless, if 600/650 is your cup of tea, there's no hd800s/f/whatever that can change your preference. Me, I think that the 800S is a proper successor of the 600 (not 650), especially after thightening of 1 step (compared to my - erroneously - perceived most comfortable position) the position of the cups.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #321 of 396
And a slightly warmer bass yes. They are overall similar, but it's one case of little objective difference that can make a "big" subjective difference. Nevertheless, if 600/650 is your cup of tea, there's no hd800s/f/whatever that can change your preference. Me, I think that the 800S is a proper successor of the 600 (not 650).
sounds pretty good, i can hook up the 800s to my tube amp to get the added warmth. In our country its hard to get our hands on the 800s, but i'll try

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #323 of 396
Today I got my priced possession Sennheiser hd 660s...hooked up to lg v30 plus and wow it powers the 150ohm high end headphone with easy

Sound is just immersive

Then I hooked hd 660s to fiio x7ii....that needs to be put on high gain to power it properly still I had to push volume all the way up

My conclusion v30 is a beast and is best suited for high end high impedance headphones ... and boy I can say it sounded better that fiio x7ii

I might even sell fiio x7ii now :wink:

And sennheiser hd 660s is a great headphone I never find it lacking in any department ...

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #327 of 396
Ahh...seems like d lg quad dac system is pretty good. I have a chance to pick up the lg v20 for $330. Is it a good deal ??
I have used both v20 and LG G6 and can say that v30 plus is an upgrade over them over sound quality with controls on dacs filter and eq native settings

For my ears and with my high end headphones and earphones I don't see the use of fiio x7ii anymore .. v30 sound superb with them

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #328 of 396
I've had the HD 660 S for a few days now. Might as well share my impressions before I finalize a review.

First off, this is very much a Sennheiser and a worthy contender of the six hundred series (can't write 6XX anymore, thanks to Massdrop). I've owned the HD 600 and HD 650 for a long time but I'm not too familiar with the Massdrop editions.

My first impressions are that the HD 660 S is the most neutral of the bunch. The overall tonality is very accurate, with the exception of lacking sub-bass and minor characteristics that I will highlight later. I have always preferred the HD 600 over K701 and DT 880 or even any similarly priced open headphone. I never got into the HD 650 because of their veil and recessed treble. That they would not create any synergy with SS amps or even huge calibers like the Chord Hugo TT is a downside for me - something Tyll will disagree with.

Anyway, the minor characteristics I mentioned earlier are: slightly boosted upper bass and lower midrange, mild 2 kHz dip followed by a 3.5 kHz boost and a treble dip from 7-8.5 kHz. It's nothing wild and overall the sound is still fairly neutral that allows great imaging and high transparency. The midrange isn't crunchy or edgy, but it has a very slight dryness that I wasn't expecting and don't remember from the HD 600. This allows the music to present itself more completely and doesn't necessary draw attention to voices. Personally, I consider it an upgrade in the series, despite being a bit expensive. It is a very good fatigue-free allrounder. Is it worth jumping on the Massdrop drops, though? Probably. But the little logo on the grills and the matt finish looks pretty awesome. Sadly I have no use for a 4.4mm Pentaconn cable at the moment.

_KE00754 1.jpg _KE00753.jpg _KE00755.jpg _KE30764.jpg _KE30755.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back