Meet the Sennheiser HD 660 S
Nov 24, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #137 of 396
Sennheiser use plastics for lightness and comfort and have been doing so for nearly 50 years. The open backed HD414 may have looked 'cheap' compared to the massive heavy and sweaty closed phones of the day
Plenty of 414s still in use.

EDIT Wrong thread.!?! Silly me

Sorry This was supposed to be a reply in the other HD660 thread

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #138 of 396
Good to know. My HD650 were stolen from my office 2 days before I received my own Dekoni pads, and I've been debating whether to get the Massdrop HD6XX, go for the HD660S or get something completely different.
I did a comparison HD650/HD660S tonight. You want the HD660S, believe me.

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #140 of 396
Nov 24, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #141 of 396
Nov 24, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #142 of 396
Guys, it always tickles me when people say they just got a new headphone and describe what it sounds like right out of the box. When I got the 650, out of the box it was unlistenable for me. Over the next 150 hours they went through many stages, some very strange. New headphones need break-in. They became semi-listenable at 90 hours. At 150 hours on the 650, only then did they sound musical. After they were properly broken in using many genres of music (including pipe organ & EDM), I consider them to be one of the most natural sounding, musical headphones I've ever heard at any price, and I've heard most all of them at the many shows I've covered. (it's pretty hard to hear real sound especially with open backs at a show though...) Sennheiser is one of the few companies that even TELLS you their cans need break-in, but if you speak to the people that design headphones, they will all tell you their phones improve over time. All headphones need break-in. I understand the excitement of getting new gear and wanting to share impressions, but please keep this in mind.

I'm going to see how soon I can get a pair of 660's for review and do a proper, honest comparison.

The 650's grow a little painful on my head after a few hours, so the decreased clamping force might be a real deal maker for me. Have fun!

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #143 of 396
Guys, it always tickles me when people say they just got a new headphone and describe what it sounds like right out of the box. When I got the 650, out of the box it was unlistenable for me. Over the next 150 hours they went through many stages, some very strange. New headphones need break-in. They became semi-listenable at 90 hours. At 150 hours on the 650, only then did they sound musical. After they were properly broken in using many genres of music (including pipe organ & EDM), I consider them to be one of the most natural sounding, musical headphones I've ever heard at any price, and I've heard most all of them at the many shows I've covered. (it's pretty hard to hear real sound especially with open backs at a show though...) Sennheiser is one of the few companies that even TELLS you their cans need break-in, but if you speak to the people that design headphones, they will all tell you their phones improve over time. All headphones need break-in. I understand the excitement of getting new gear and wanting to share impressions, but please keep this in mind.

I'm going to see how soon I can get a pair of 660's for review and do a proper, honest comparison.

The 650's grow a little painful on my head after a few hours, so the decreased clamping force might be a real deal maker for me. Have fun!
I have over 100 hours already with my HD660S. I liked them instantly. I like the HD650 too. Same situation, liked them at first listen. The HD660S is to me an improvement over the HD650 across the board, whilst keeping all its strength.

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #144 of 396
I've read this thread and am a little confused about the difference in opinion about the sonics of the HD600 vs HD660S. Some owners suggest the 600 has more forward mids, whilst others suggest the 660S had more forward mids. I've not heard the 660S yet, I have also never heard the 650, the only two models I have experience of is the 600 and 800S.

For me personally, the 600 is a little too forward in the 3kHz-4kHz region, and by contrast the HD800S is a little too recessed in this area. As a result, whenever I listen to my 600 I engage a -2dB Q2 notch filter EQ @ 3.3kHz which gives the 600 a smoother overall tonal balance to my ears. This of course doesn't solve the very slight overall veil/fuzziness that I hear in the 600. Therefore I still reach for my 800S when I'm in "maximum detail retrieval" mood as I ultimately find the 800S more resolving, but for everyday general listening I love my 600.

I'm wondering if the 660S bridges the difference between the 600 and 800S in terms of both tonality and resolution?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #145 of 396
Hi. Seems to me from reading many different impression write-ups like somehow the Sennheiser house sound and the Beyer house sound are coming closer and closer☺️. As a DT 880 owner I am currently sitting on the fence about the next upgrade : Should I pick up the 660S to get a taste of the 'new' Sennheiser house sound or should I stick with the Beyerdynamic and pick up the ' not-so-beyerlike' Amiron Home? Has anyone had a chance to audition both?
Cheers

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #146 of 396
I bought an HD 660 S a few days ago and so far am really enjoying it. It's still burning in and sounding better and better every day, moment-by-moment. :)

Hearing the Audio Sanctuary (UK) display model HD 600 S, which has quite a few hours of burn-in time already, I contrasted it with the display models of my current other full-size Sennheiser headphones, a stock-cabled HD 600 and a balanced-cabled (SDR modded) HD 800 (I used the in-store HD 800 S), both of which I use with the HDVD 800 at home. Immediately upon hearing the HD 660 S in-store it sounded great and delivered on some of the claims I've read online inc:

• Enhanced treble detail in relation to the HD 600 and HD 650.
    • In-store the difference was more apparent to me and I'm putting this down to burn-in time of that headphone. When I first began listening with my HD 660 S it didn't have nearly as much clear treble as my HD 600 which I've had for years, and as my HD 660 S burns in, the treble response is opening up nicely. It seems a balance of the new components working together in harmony and myself getting used to the sound and I'm keen to hear that develop. To my ears so far, the HD 660 S clearly has noticeably less treble detail than the ultra-open and ambience-revealing HD 800, but I won't comment further about this until my HD 660 S has received more play time.
  • Increased soundstage in relation to the HD 600
    • To my ears, from memory the HD 660 S soundstage with the 1/4" stereo unbalanced cable sounds similar to the HD 650 which I used to own. My HD 600 has a narrower-sounding soundstage and the balanced HD 800 definitely has the biggest soundstage of the lot with the soundstage of the unbalanced stereo-cabled HD 660 S being about midway between that of the HD 600 and HD 800.
  • Enhanced bass response.
    • This is definitely true. The bass response of the HD 660 S is much tighter and faster sounding than that of the HD 650, which I have mostly always preferred less than that of the HD 600 and HD 800. The HD 660 S has a very full-sounding bass that has a decent weight to it. It's definitely much less open-sounding than the HD 800, and is currently delivering a 'thicker' sound than it and the HD 600 in a way that's still very balanced overall with no aspect of the frequency spectrum standing out too much. The HD 600 S is a very well-balanced sounding headphone.
    • I'm really enjoying the spectral tilt of the HD 660 S bass region. I'm finding it so easy to enjoy and to me it delivers in a warmly-satisfying and visceral way that the bass regions of the HD 600 and HD 800 don't. The bass and overall cohesion of the HD 600 S is my favourite aspect of this headphone so far and plays a big part in what may have been a conscious choice by Sennheiser to provide a headphone that provides plenty of detail retrieval but without sounding analytical. The HD 660 S sounds less like an audio engineer's headphone and more suited for a general music fan that just wants to enjoy the music with clarity, but it could certainly be used for audio engineering and other consciously detail-orientated listening purposes.
    • I'm finding the bass of the HD 660 S so satisfying - perhaps that's because I've craved more bass from the HD 600 and HD 800 over the years, but the fact is I'm loving the HD 660 S!
These are some initial impressions and they may change as my HD 660 S plays in some more, and so far so good with this headphone which I'm so far seeing as a definite improvement over the HD 650. To me, Sennheiser's intention for the HD 650's successor to be the HD 660 S has been achieved admirably!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #148 of 396
Comfort is 100% the same as HD600/650/6XX. Can be adjusted by bending the spring steel parts of the headband outwards easily.

Dec 9, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #149 of 396
Comfort is 100% the same as HD600/650/6XX. Can be adjusted by bending the spring steel parts of the headband outwards easily.

My HD 660 S has more clamping pressure than my HD 600 which I bought used a few years ago. I think the clamping pressure of the HD series eases off over time. To me it's really not much of an issue, as when you're focused on the fun of the music that's all that exists. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back