Meet the Sennheiser HD 660 S
Nov 3, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #121 of 396
Thank you very much for your first impressions. :)

I would like to ask a couple of questions though.... In terms of bass quantity and punch wich has more the hd660 or the 600? Wich sounds Fuller and Warmer? Would you say it is stupid to havê both or are they different enough to justify having both?

Thank you

It definitely doesn´t have less bass than HD 600, but it doesn´t have that much more either. Perhaps a bit. The bass is mostly just better defined and faster. I´m not sure if there is more impact, but the impact is sounds different as the bass is just faster and better defined on the new transducer. I prefer the new one. That being said, I think open headphones are already pushing as much bass as they can, so increasing it (or to be more specific making it go deeper) substantially is probably technically impossible with a driver of this size.

As for fuller and warmer I´d say the HD 600 is warmer than the HD 660 S. The faster crisper HD 660 S sound is closer to what I perceive as neutral. HD 600 has one big possible advantage (depends on taste) over the HD 660 S: it´s more forgiving/relaxing to listen to. Very brightly mastered low dynamic range music may sound better on the HD 600. I personally won´t be keeping my HD 600 though. In any case they sound quite different. As with any new headphone however I would suggest finding a retailer that lets you demo them with your own familiar music. There´s no substitute to hearing them yourself and then making your own choice based on A/B comparisons at the store.

Nov 3, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #122 of 396
I just received mine yesterday and have the HDV820 as source. Definitely a very nice combination. This is going to be my end game rig for the time being (at least until Sennheiser releases a true next generation successor to HD 800 S). I´ve owned the HD 800 S before, but eventually came back to the HD 600 as I found them to be a better all rounder and also a lot more comfortable to wear. First impressions vs. HD 600:

- Comfort is supreme as with HD600/HD650, so light and easy to wear and the clamp amount is just perfect for my head
- They have a very cool "I mean business" look to them with the new black color and the nice grill logo highlights
- From memory I would say these sound closer to HD 600 than HD 650 (650 being a bit murky/veiled, yet very nice for very bright/low dynamic range music)
- If there ever was a veil in HD 600, there is definitely none this time
- Cleaner, clearer, faster and more energetic
- Higher resolution (= compressed low DR pop will sound bad, but well mastered stuff will sound wonderful; HD 600 is more forgiving of albums like Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- And because of the previous point, you will very likely notice a significant difference between 320 kbs and FLAC (and these really shine with 24bit/96kHz studio masters).
- Very nice treble sparkle without being too fatiguing (but there is a bit more listening fatigue than on HD 600)
- Midrange is more present and grabs your attention more (my favorite difference)
- Soundstage is still the same 3-blob style as with HD 600/650, but feels a bit different due to the more captivating mids/faster sound
- Improved instrument separation

The HD 600 sound somewhat "low tech" (650 even more) in comparison, but for a lot of really treble-heavy compressed pop/rock they may be more pleasant to listen to due to them being more forgiving. Overall I´d say these sound like an improved HD 600, but just make sure you listen to FLAC/studio masters (Tidal) instead of Spotify for example. To be honest these sound more or less exactly like I wanted the HD 700 to sound like (couldn´t stand their overdone/peaky treble). All in all a very well done upgrade after the disappointing HD 700. I can also see these becoming a hit for the next decade or so. They are also fairly priced* in the current headphone world where many companies seem to be competing for reaching ever higher prices.

* I would easily take these over the more expensive Beyerdynamic T1 (2g), Focal Elear and Sennheiser HD 700 for example (not a fan or planar magnetic headphones personally, so I won´t compare to them).

Thx for that .

Compared to DH800S ..is it wort to pay more than twice to get 800S?Or are those two so much different that comparing to each other is inposible?Ordered Audio-GD master 11 for my Elears( i drive them on Unison Research SH tube amp-dac..nice combo) and i,m considering to buy something like 800S..Probably buying both 660s and 800s would be nice(for the collection and comparison)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #123 of 396
Thx for that .

Compared to DH800S ..is it wort to pay more than twice to get 800S?Or are those two so much different that comparing to each other is inposible?Ordered Audio-GD master 11 for my Elears( i drive them on Unison Research SH tube amp-dac..nice combo) and i,m considering to buy something like 800S..Probably buying both 660s and 800s would be nice(for the collection and comparison)

It depends on so many things... They are very different headphones in so many areas, it´s very hard to compare. I wouldn´t buy either one blind. My only suggestion is to try to find a local high end audio store that carries both and bring your own familiar music to do A/B comparisons with. I think that´s the only way to answer your question to be honest.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #124 of 396
It depends on so many things... They are very different headphones in so many areas, it´s very hard to compare. I wouldn´t buy either one blind. My only suggestion is to try to find a local high end audio store that carries both and bring your own familiar music to do A/B comparisons with. I think that´s the only way to answer your question to be honest.

Hi

thx for reply..
Thing is that comparing them here in our country (Slovenija) is almost inposible..You can buy them but to listen them is very dificult..You need to find someone that have them and so on..

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #125 of 396

Or better yet, buy them straight from Sennheiser and listen to them in your own environment with your own gear for up to 30 days. If they don't work out for you, send them back for a refund. Sennheiser has a great return policy. Nothing beats a home audition with your own setup.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #126 of 396
Or better yet, buy them straight from Sennheiser and listen to them in your own environment with your own gear for up to 30 days. If they don't work out for you, send them back for a refund. Sennheiser has a great return policy. Nothing beats a home audition with your own setup.
Thx dude.
Didnt know that..
Only thing is that you can get them from other shop for better price i think..I can get 800s for way less than 1600€(new),dont know what the price for 660s is.

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #129 of 396
Any discounts to be had (more than the newsletter's 10% off)? I'm a huge fan of Sennheiser, owning the HD800S, HD650, HD600, HD580, HD598, and several pairs of lesser valued phones but would like to avoid paying the "early adopters tax". I suspect in a few months or so, 20% or more will be be a pretty common discount, which seems more reasonable a price - though I'd love not to wait :wink:

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #131 of 396
@Sennheiser ... I wonder... if an HD700-derived driver performs so well in a HD6xx housing, what about an HD800-derived ring driver in a classical housing, but more sophisticated, similar to the one of the new Orphes?
I think such a driver will do marvellous things timbrically in that situation :wink:

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #132 of 396
Question remains, has anyone put them up agains the HD700, price of the two are basically the same with the blowout sales on the HD700's.

Nov 11, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #133 of 396
Question remains, has anyone put them up agains the HD700, price of the two are basically the same with the blowout sales on the HD700's.

I´ve previously owned the HD 700 twice and I would take HD 660 S over it any day of the week. If you ask me the HD 700 sales are for a reason: it hasn´t been generally received as well as other products in the Sennheiser high end lineup. While it has a lot of good features (fantastic comfort/design, speed, great bass etc.) for many its ultimate failure was the too uneven and peaky treble presentation. It´s a headphone that sounds great on some material, but almost painful with other recordings.

The HD 660 S takes a lot of what´s good about the HD 700 (energy, speed and clarity in particular) and marries it with one of the most even and natural treble presentations out there. Soundstage and perhaps bass (there´s more quantity, but not quality) is the only thing where I feel the HD 700 has an edge, but that is only because it has a V-style sound signature and those always create a sensation of a wider soundstage. Now this is obviously very subjective, but for me the HD 660 S is what I hoped the HD 700 had been in the first place.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #135 of 396
Does the 660 have the same ear pad sockets as the 650? I just got my Dekoni ear pads from Massdrop and am wondering if they would fit a 660.

Thanks!
Yes, exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back