Meet the HD 598 Special Edition
Feb 23, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #316 of 379
@RockStar2005  I'm not sure how to describe it exactly, but let me try.  When listening to the HE400S, certain sounds, like cymbals, on certain songs, didn't sound natural.  They sounded a bit choppy and not coherent.  Just not very natural and realistic.  There's some sparkle to a point, but not extended into higher frequencies.  Nothing like the sparkle you would hear in a pair of even low end Grados IMO.  The HD 598 have a more natural, consistent, and realistic treble IMO.

And so you know, I'm a picky person.  By no means do the HE400S sound terrible in the treble.  Most people won't mind and may not even notice.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #317 of 379
Lazy, 

Thank you for further clarifying that. 

Well that's the reason why I kept rejecting certain headphones that cost double to triple what my $170 K553 do........they either had more bass and fantastic bass isolation but not refined enough in the mids and highs (i.e. $250 Blue Lola; though I said in my review of them that they would be GREAT for rap/hip-hop/dance/EDM music because of that incredibly strong bass isolation they have). Or others that were even pricier HAD equally refined mids & highs, but the extra bass wasn't isolated well enough, and would spill over and muddy up the mids & highs, again, much to my dismay ($299 Sony MDR-1A, $399 Oppo PM-3, Bowers & Wilkins P7, & Master & Dynamic MH40). lol There were other reasons too why those headphones didn't work out, but it seems to me that a higher price definitely doesn't always equate to higher or better sound quality. 

It seems to me that it's more common to have great mids than great highs, at least from what I've experienced. So when I find headphones that do render them both well, as well as bass too, that's definitely a big win in my eyes. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #318 of 379
And there is a crucial factor often overlooked in these discussions - impedance matching between the amplifier output and the headphones.  I've yet to investigate further but the sound of the HE400S was not great plugged into the DAC (which has a headphone amp) on the main headphone system.

But the match of the HE400S to the SONY NWS A17 appears made in heaven.

It is the old ying/yang that used to be argued about decades ago (showing my age now).  The matching of headphone components is just as important as it is in main systems with speakers.  Some component never seem to sound quite right together.

John

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #320 of 379
Not trying to rubbish the Senny 598, it is a really good headphone and better than many BUT the new HiFiMan HE400S are much better to these ears.  Note I said "to these ears" so others with different ears can be expected to react differently.  That said I do not intend to sell the 598s.

Wouldn't it be boring if everyone liked the same sound?  That would not be good news for manufacturers either.  So Viva la difference!!!

John

Totally agree! It would be boring if we all had the same tastes. Also, for twice the price and being a planar, it only makes sense that the HE 400S is an upgrade to the 598. To be honest, the recent reviews make me consider this phone later on.

But for now, I'm in love with the 598, and I admire that even if you prefer the 400S, you still respect the 598 and enjoy them enough to keep them despite owning a better set of cans.

Cheers.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #321 of 379
There is no sonic difference between the SE and regular version correct? What about weight? Also is that little "hump" inside the ear pads still there? (There was a hump on the outer edge of the drivers from inside that would touch my ear)

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #323 of 379
  There is no sonic difference between the SE and regular version correct? What about weight? Also is that little "hump" inside the ear pads still there? (There was a hump on the outer edge of the drivers from inside that would touch my ear)

There may be a sonic difference between SE and Ivory versions, depending on which specific pairs you compare, and who you ask.  I personally heard a very noticeable difference.  Others have as well.  Yet others say they sound identical.

My advice to anyone concerned about possible sonic differences between the SE and Ivory versions, is to just get whichever color you prefer or whichever is cheaper.  Then if you're happy with the way they sound, you're done.  If you're not happy with the way they sound, return them and try the other version.  Actually, if you're not happy with the way one sounds, better to order the other version first, compare both at home, post your thoughts in this thread and/or the 598 impressions thread, and then return the first one, or both if you're not happy with either one.

Weight-wise, they felt the same.

The "hump" is still there.  My ears touch it too, but barely.  It's not pressing.  It doesn't bother me in the least.

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #328 of 379
By the way you guys should try the J. Meier setting of the bs2b crossfeed for the 598 SE. The sound is a match made in heaven for these cans IMO.

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #329 of 379
They are 130$ right now on Amazon. Are they worth the price comparing to the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250ohm at 230$ ? I have owned the DT 990 Pro 250ohm and sold them because of the clamping force and the velour earpads got soft after a year of use and my ears were touching the drivers. I loved the bass in the DT 990 Pros, read that the HD 598 have a lot less bass. I am pairing them with Asus Xonar Phoebus soundcard that has a headphone amp on it.
Any suggestions ? Thanks!

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #330 of 379
They are 130$ right now on Amazon. Are they worth the price comparing to the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250ohm at 230$ ? I have owned the DT 990 Pro 250ohm and sold them because of the clamping force and the velour earpads got soft after a year of use and my ears were touching the drivers. I loved the bass in the DT 990 Pros, read that the HD 598 have a lot less bass. I am pairing them with Asus Xonar Phoebus soundcard that has a headphone amp on it.
Any suggestions ? Thanks!

While I haven't tried the DT990s, from what I've heard and read, they are really bassy, whereas the HD598 aim for a more balanced response, so in comparison, it should be that way - the HD598 most probably have less bass than the 990s. That doesn't mean they lack bass, though. On the contrary, lows are present when they are called for, and the headphone even has a warm sound signature to it.

However, there seems to be a consensus that the 990s are considered higher end stuff than the 598s. So there should be an overall drop in sound quality. Where? How much? I don't know, I haven't tried the 990. But as for me, as a happy 598 listener, I think at that price, they're great for what they are - a budget hi-fi headphone. I don't think you'll find anything better under $200.

All in all, I will always recommend the 598s, especially at the discounted $100-130 price. So, back to your question, 'are they worth the price?', I'd say, 'yeah, totally!'. Go for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back