Meet the HD 598 Special Edition
Feb 3, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #301 of 379
This is an interesting thread.  I first purchased the 598s on a whim when I saw them offered FS by an Aussie on this site and they have proven to be one of my best headphone purchases, certainly THE best in value for money terms.

I find them more comfortable than the 650's and the AKG702s and to these tired old ears the sound is fine.  But comfort appraisal varies and it is so subjective because we all have different heads and accompanying brains inside.  And those brains react differently to sound due to both genetics and experience, something which makes debate about which sound is "best" rather pointless.  Many of those arguments incorrectly assume we all have the same linear baseline frequency hearing response.  Bottom line is what appeals to an individual regardless of what others might think.

And as I posted earlier, I find the 598s match nicely to the Sony A series MP3 players and reproduce classical music VERY nicely for me.  And thanks for earlier suggestions re covers for the A17 - I did buy a leather one but prefer the cheap plastic one as changing chips is easier because getting the player in and out of its leather cocoon can be a struggle.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #302 of 379
From what I remember from this (and the regular 598's) thread, plus my owm experience, the difference is not that the SE are brighter, but that they are slightly bassier. But that's just me.

That has not been my personal experience.  My SE were definitely brighter with a slightly hissy/sibilant treble at times, and weaker in the bass, than my ivory/beige 598.  Very apparent in the differences as well.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #303 of 379
  What do you mean by isolating the bass?

By "further" I was referring to the staging. 598 appears to be just in front you at your face, whereas 598SE seems to have entered into your head. Or maybe... they are just about the same and the fuller body is affecting the perception.
biggrin.gif

I think both have similar width, just that the above may affect the perception, where the SE could be perceived as more closed-in.

So you're saying the 598 is more spacious sounding (more outside your head) than the SE?

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #304 of 379
And thanks for earlier suggestions re covers for the A17 - I did buy a leather one but prefer the cheap plastic one as changing chips is easier because getting the player in and out of its leather cocoon can be a struggle. - Tassie

That was me, and you're welcome. lol 

Yeah the A17 is great!! I prefer not to call it an mp3 player though (although it CAN play them too), but instead a Hi-Res player, since it can do those too, whether they come as FLAC, ALAC, WAV, or AIFF (the first 2 preferred). 

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #305 of 379
  And thanks for earlier suggestions re covers for the A17 - I did buy a leather one but prefer the cheap plastic one as changing chips is easier because getting the player in and out of its leather cocoon can be a struggle. - Tassie

That was me, and you're welcome. lol 

Yeah the A17 is great!! I prefer not to call it an mp3 player though (although it CAN play them too), but instead a Hi-Res player, since it can do those too, whether they come as FLAC, ALAC, WAV, or AIFF (the first 2 preferred). 

Agree.  MP3 downgrades its capability.  All imported files on my A17 are FLAC.  But, at the risk of going way off topic can I warn others not to fall into the trap I did and think the cheap Chinese chips are great value.  A supposed 128GB one actually only held 20GB although it cleverly gave the delusion it could hold 128 GB according to Windows Explorer.  Another 512Gb one was better though, it actually contained 30GB!!!

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #306 of 379
Tassie,

You mean the Micro SD cards?? Or the internal memory? 

If you meant the Micro SD cards, then yeah.......... I ONLY buy the brand name ones, like Kingston or SanDisk. I've heard of compatibility issues happening too with other brands. Sony and Samsung make good ones too I believe, but even though I love most things Sony, for this, I'd still stick with Kingston or SanDisk. SanDisk prob #1? 

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #307 of 379
Yes I'm battling with a supplier off e-bay now (they have de-registered him) who supplied me with a junk micro.

And you are spot on re ScanDisk.  I had a 128GB micro that ended up unformattable - spent hours trying out all sorts of programs and methods but none worked.  Purchased 9 months ago but I contacted the e-bay seller and he asked for it to be sent back.  This is a service not all offer so is a plus to the e-bay seller (pc.pyle) and to ScanDisk.

Apologies everyone for being off topic.

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #308 of 379
I see. Yeah sounds like that dealer doesn't belong on eBay, or anywhere. lol

SanDisk? Yeah they rock!!

Yeah when buying off eBay, it's best to only buy from sellers who've sold at least a few hundred items and are rated well too of course. Like the Cozoy Astrapi portable (and awesome) amp/DAC....... Amazon sells it for $130, but reputable sellers from China offer it via eBay for as low as $101 and FREE SHIPPING too! I ordered one for a friend's b'day and it should've taken a week or two to arrive, but I got it within like 3-4 days. If you want a great and very affordable portable amp/DAC for the 598 (or any headphone really that isn't high impedance ((ohms))), I'd highly recommend it! 

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #312 of 379
Not trying to rubbish the Senny 598, it is a really good headphone and better than many BUT the new HiFiMan HE400S are much better to these ears.  Note I said "to these ears" so others with different ears can be expected to react differently.  That said I do not intend to sell the 598s.

Wouldn't it be boring if everyone liked the same sound?  That would not be good news for manufacturers either.  So Viva la difference!!!

John

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #313 of 379
@Tassie Devil  I can appreciate that.  I thought the HE400s is a very good sounding headphone and is extremely comfortable, except for somewhat itchy pads.  The midrange is phenomenal, much clearer and more natural/lifelike than the 598.  However, the bass is too light, and the highs are somewhat unrefined.  I prefer the 598s because it's more consistent across the entire frequency spectrum.  Plus the 598s have a wider soundstage and do a better job of reproducing the ambiance of the environment in which the recording was made.  The HE400s was the second best heaphone "to my ears" that I tried, however.

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #314 of 379
Hey John, 

I have yet to try HE400S out, but I have heard MANY good things about them. They seem to have very good reviews on Amazon as well. Perhaps one day I shall? 

But you have to to remember too that at $299, they cost about double the 598 SE, so obviously price does still matter (to a certain point anyway). 

Yes it would be. I'm glad we don't! I initially thought I'd like headphones with some enhanced-bass, but now I know that simply isn't so. I think the amount of bass on both the 598 as well as my K553 is strong enough and offers a real PUNCH when needed, but they are also laid back too when not. To me, that's how it's SUPPOSED to be!

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #315 of 379

Lazy, 

When you say the highs on the HE400S are "somewhat unrefined", what do you mean by that? Do they offer that spark or shine on the high end that you would hear when you're listening to like acoustic guitars (the "chimey" sounds)? Just curious. I have yet to try them out. 

Thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back