Meelectronics A151 equals AWESOME! (Pictures added)
Mar 31, 2011 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Yggdrassilious

500+ Head-Fier
I was skeptical at first when I saw the A151s going for around $50 at buy.com because I bought the M6Ps based on the glowing reviews I read here but was utterly disappointed by their performance. However, buy.com's generous 45-day return policy got me and I am so glad I pulled the trigger on these!

Here is a youtube video impression I made of these.

The cardboard looks much classier than the plain old all transparent plastic boxes. 

The cable is awesome. Light, soft, flexible, no microphonics whatsoever. 

Great strain relief.

Comfortable (I use the small silicon tips)

The sound is...for me, just right. Not too dark and grand like the IE7s, not too sparkly and artificial like the TF10s, not too bright and sibilant like the UE700s, and not too boomy and passionate like the MTPCs.

It's like they took whatever frequency range the UE700s were emphasizing too much on and pulled it down a bit. These are very stable and mature sounding, detailed, and clear, always calm, and knows what they are doing. Mids and vocals are definitely not as smooth or sweet as the UEs but they are still well presented (that's the only shortcoming I picked out), and the A151s more than make it up with better separation and soundstage (than the UE700s)

Anyway, Meelectronics' got a fan out of me with the A151s. Still no love for the M6Ps though. But bravo for their first BA driver IEM! They are a bargain at the price buy.com was offering, but they are well worth the MSRP!

Please come share your appreciations for these awesome budget high value high quality IEMs!

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 10
I also picked some up for the $50 deal at buy.com. I agree they sound amazing for the price! Lack a bit of boom and sparkle compared to the TF10, but I like that they are more balanced. I also think they sound better than the UE700 from my memory of those! For a single BA they are pretty solid across the spectrum without too much roll-off or brightness at the top end. And the cable and build quality is also fantastic! They are probably better than anything else I have tried at under $100 other than possibly the Panny RP-HJE900!

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm loving my A151!! 

I definitely agree with the cable....nice, light, no memory, and no  microphonics  .

As for sound: I love the separation of the instruments.  Nice and balanced.  I have got about 15 hours of burn in.  I don't know if they will warm up because I find them a little thin sounding.  I am new here so maybe that is the way that they are supposed to sound.  Thin and clear?

I think I might take a chance and try out the SP51!  I live in Canada and was very impressed with the shipping speed.  5 days....but I paid $20 for shipping :frowning2:

PS: Great video on youtube!

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 10
Well these sound pretty typical of Balanced Armature drivers, which is tight and "thin" if you wanna put it that way. Burn-in is not likely to improve bass, if it's going to have any effect at all. But we all keep on searching for the perfect sound to our own ears so, keep on thinning your wallet!

Quote:
I'm loving my A151!! 

I definitely agree with the cable....nice, light, no memory, and no  microphonics  .

As for sound: I love the separation of the instruments.  Nice and balanced.  I have got about 15 hours of burn in.  I don't know if they will warm up because I find them a little thin sounding.  I am new here so maybe that is the way that they are supposed to sound.  Thin and clear?

I think I might take a chance and try out the SP51!  I live in Canada and was very impressed with the shipping speed.  5 days....but I paid $20 for shipping :frowning2:

PS: Great video on youtube!

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 10
BA drivers do not need to be "burned in" unlike dynamic drivers. They sound exactly the same out of the box or if you burn them in for 100 hours.

Quote:
Well these sound pretty typical of Balanced Armature drivers, which is tight and "thin" if you wanna put it that way. Burn-in is not likely to improve bass, if it's going to have any effect at all. But we all keep on searching for the perfect sound to our own ears so, keep on thinning your wallet!

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 10
Joe from MEE told me that himself. I actually do burn in my other headphones/IEMs.

Anyways, back on topic: I owned the A151 for about two weeks. They sounded fairly odd to me while playing R&B/Pop. The sound seemed somewhat echo-y. Maybe it was because I wasn't use to the airiness?

Quote:
That's your opinion. And it is interesting. 

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 10
I just meant that there's a psychological part in there too, and your ears get "tuned" to the IEMs. You know, burn-in is like religion, all it takes is a bit made belief. :)

Quote:
Joe from MEE told me that himself. I actually do burn in my other headphones/IEMs.

Anyways, back on topic: I owned the A151 for about two weeks. They sounded fairly odd to me while playing R&B/Pop. The sound seemed somewhat echo-y. Maybe it was because I wasn't use to the airiness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back