MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Feb 29, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #376 of 3,265
By @twister6 IEMs comparison

- P1 vs DN2kJ - very similar low end where P1 has slightly better sub-bass extension while DN has a little faster mid-bass punch; P1 lower mids have more body and upper mids are more balanced and a little smoother. DN upper mids are more up front, brighter, and a little harsher. DN treble is a touch more crispy but otherwise very similar to P1. P1 is an excellent alternative for those who enjoy revealing detailed signature of DN2kJ but want a more balanced smoother sound with more body and without compromising retrieval of details. The soundstage was similar, though P1 is a touch wider.

- P1 vs RE600 – Right away you can hear RE soundstage being narrower and with less depth, also with a warmer smoother sound, less transparency, and a little flatter in comparison where P1 sounds more dynamic. RE upper mids are smoother, treble is not as extended and not as bright, and mid-bass speed is a little slower. RE takes a little step back from P1 in a more neutral, warmer, smoother, and less revealing direction.

- P1 vs Savant – Savant has a more intimate soundstage (narrower and closer), similar sub-bass extension though Savant is a little more articulate in that area. Also Savant has a little faster mid-bass punch and overall tighter low end – typical of BA performance; very similar lower mids, while upper mids in Savant are a little smoother and warmer; upper treble is what sets them really apart where P1 is brighter and splashier while Savant is smooth and rolled off. But overall, I couldn’t help but notice how close these sound throughout low end and mids.

- P1 vs DITA – I don’t have IE800, but DITA is the next iconic single dynamic driver wide-bandwidth IEM which begs to be compared to P1. Unfortunately, I updated The Answer with a replacement gold-plated silver cable which changed the sound signature, making it bassy. As a result DITA’s sub-bass and mid-bass are tilting the balance, sounds warmer, but the speed is similar in comparison. When it comes to mids, they sound very similar, but P1 treble is brighter and a little splashier in comparison. With soundstage, DITA has the same depth and height, while width is a little narrower.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #380 of 3,265
I haven't even bothered to use the mic cable to be honest since I don't plan to use with a phone device. Additionally I still cannot get over the premium feel of quality in regards to the cable. The only thing that trumps this is the housings which are GORGEOUS.
!!!!

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #381 of 3,265
Funny, I always start low, then have an upside. I've been using the black cable only. the other should provide improvement, at least in theory. But yeah, its very refreshing to find solid quality and incredible sound at this price point. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #384 of 3,265
I need to test those out also. I used the bi-flange and it wasn't ideal, then tried some Comply T-500 (not included). The Comply's work well with the P1. Will report back when I try the others. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #385 of 3,265
  Some early impressions from another recent owner. So, when I was first looking at getting this I heard of a lot of positive ffeedback in terms of resolution, clarity, and separation, I had many other considerations on what my purchase would ultimately be. I ultimately went with my old favorite company, MEE when I found out they had released something reaching for a little more. While eager to own a pair of IEM's that would (I would at this point presume) lend a very balanced/neutral presentation, I was also looking for something to be able to handle EDM, IDM and eletronica. When Initially trying the pair out I did agree with others when referencing "clear", "resolving", and "musical", "seperation" and then I started to notice the bass and sub bass, while a good foundation it was ultimately dry with no energy. It was not the sort of bass to push you into the music. Determined to see if I might be able to get more from these headphones I decided to tip roll a bit. When starting out I felt the Comply's would be a good choice. However, as I mentioned previously I didn't feel like I was getting the full picture. Next I opted for the triple flange. This was interesting, the highs to me registered brighter, though without any substance. The bass was sadly even more lacking. Grabbing the box of ear tips again I decided on the M basic non comply and promptly played side C of Bonobos' The North Borders in 192, 24 bit FLAC. The music was instantly different. Like Jumping in a cool lake and feeling the water on your skin for the first time in a long time. However, it was still not quite perfect. Here however, is where I get a little more control with the setup I'm currently running the P1's out of. The Aune M2s and B1 current amp. Switching to High Gain, and switching the filter options to Slow SD, perfection was achieved. Full, beautiful sub bass controlled quality and quantity sufficient for any bass head. I truly feel MEE Knocked this out of the park just with a few hours of good listening. 
At this point I will go on to say though the competition isn't fair considering at the present I own Kef M200's and a 30 year old pair of Sony DR-Z7. The Kefs always were great, however tricky seal and the ear holders don't go a long way with me. The Sony's I hold in high regard, however MEE with it's better isolation and bass achieves more for me.

All in all no one should have regrets on this purchase and if you do feel like something is not fully presented swapping something out or changing config can always give you more. These are wonderful in that they easily take and welcome the extra power. Have fun with the purchase everyone 
ksc75smile.gif

Some impressions on the tips and other little things

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #388 of 3,265
For me comply limited dynamics a little but it all depends on our ears. I felt triflange was te best but very painful wen deep inserted. Maybe Id go wit custom tips from Custom Art for P1.
Regarding cables it could be a little difference but it could be also placebo. Dont know as Im still looking for best dac/amp synergy and narrowed to D14, DX80 and Mojo.

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #390 of 3,265

I trim the bottom my comply tips.  I find that stock they are just too large and can change the sound too much.

can u show a pic contrasting both when u get the chance? If it's not much of a bother.

It pains me to say, I am officially packing the Rockets. These P1's are that good. Once u introduce an amp to these, the midrange viably competes to that of the Rockets. Imo it's much better everywhere else in comparison. God bless senpai for starting this thread as always. Don't know if i can top a $99 pair of Rockets, followed by a $129 pair of P1's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back