MEAOES Audiophile IEMs impressions & reviews
Dec 9, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #121 of 169
The sound stage now coming from the Eagle is stunning. On Getz's Manha De Carnaval there are instruments sitting way out to the right and way out to left, some closer nearer in but clearly separated as in a room and then the central image of the lead instrument right smack in the middle. Occasionally piano will come in and it's like it's there, sitting over in a corner of the room.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #122 of 169
DSC00670.JPG

New filters installed on the Eagles. The black one you see here is the nozzle filter. New filter I got for the Eagles is white underneath.
DSC00671.JPG

Sounds better balanced with the new filter.
This filter change is easy and fairly safe. You just need something like a clothes pin. Just push one end/edge of the nozzle filter and the nozzle filter will give in and you should be able to pop out the filter with not much resistance. It is easy to put back in if you liked the original filter but this newer filter makes the Eagles sound better balanced imo. Worth trying for certain. Its what the MEAOES had in mind. Just be careful of when you use a sharp tool not to poke in too much as the BAs are in the nozzle.

It sounds more closer to a U shaped balancing now vs the prior v shaped signature. Still has that sparkly treble but mids are better balanced with this new filter. I like.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #123 of 169
DSC00670.JPG

New filters installed on the Eagles. The black one you see here is the nozzle filter. New filter I got for the Eagles is white underneath. DSC00671.JPG
Sounds better balanced with the new filter.
This filter change is easy and fairly safe. You just need something like a clothes pin. Just push one end of the nozzle filter and the nozzle filter will give in and you should be able to pop out the filter with nut much resistance. It is easy to put back in if you liked the original filter but this newer filter makes the Eagles sound better balanced imo. Worth trying for certain. Its what the MEAOES had in mind. Just be careful of when you use a sharp tool not to poke in too much as the BAs are in the nozzle.

It sounds more closer to a U shaped balancing now vs the prior v shaped signature. Still has that sparkly treble but mids are better balanced with this new filter. I like.
Thanks for the instructions. I just checked and mine are the black ones. This will be interesting when the white ones arrive. I mean I am already sold on what these can do, so if white filter is even better than I will have a great match for my ears and music preferences.

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #124 of 169
From what I am hearing, it sounds like it lowers some of the upper mids and lower treble presence a bit which balances out the mids better. It's definitely worth trying.

The screen looks stiff but it's a relatively thinner screen on there. Underneath the outer edge is the sticky material that seats on a lip inside the top of the nozzle flush. It is much easier than you would imagine.

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #125 of 169
From what I am hearing, it sounds like it lowers some of the upper mids and lower treble presence a bit which balances out the mids better. It's definitely worth trying.

The screen looks stiff but it's a relatively thinner screen on there. Underneath the outer edge is the sticky material that seats on a lip inside the top of the nozzle flush. It is much easier than you would imagine.
Does it help with the lower mid? Like, making them sound a bit more full? Mine are delivered but unfortunately, I am out of the state for official purpose...cannot get them in hand till next week.

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #126 of 169
Does it help with the lower mid? Like, making them sound a bit more full? Mine are delivered but unfortunately, I am out of the state for official purpose...cannot get them in hand till next week.
Not really, usually filters will affect treble or upper mids more so than any type of lower mids or bass end. But the sound quality I feel is better balanced with the new filters. Some might prefer the older black filter, I suppose will be a matter of preference. The good news there is replacing the nozzle filter is easy enough.

Dec 14, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #127 of 169
I'm going to need to try the new filters. The sounds is too bright stock (for me), and I attribute that to the Titanium driver. I've never liked Titanium and have always found it to be too bright whenever implemented (think Klipsch speakers).

That is the only issue I have with the Eagle though. With that upper mid/Treble area tamed, it's excellent and seems like it's being completely overlooked by the community.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #128 of 169
I'm going to need to try the new filters. The sounds is too bright stock (for me), and I attribute that to the Titanium driver. I've never liked Titanium and have always found it to be too bright whenever implemented (think Klipsch speakers).

That is the only issue I have with the Eagle though. With that upper mid/Treble area tamed, it's excellent and seems like it's being completely overlooked by the community.

Mine are still on the way but it sounds like swapping to the stock ones is the best move.

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #129 of 169
Mine are still on the way but it sounds like swapping to the stock ones is the best move.
MIne are still on the way too, but I'm not finding them overly bright. The top end is very resolved and big on detail, but there's none of the bright sound I associate with the top end being too splashy and pumped compared to the bass end or mid-range. Might be my ears or the type of music I listen to.

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #130 of 169
While awaiting the new filters I took of the current ones and was very relived to find the black fuzz that indicates there is hope for improvement in the tuning.

1671075087177.png

Then while taking a look though, and seeing the BA-in-the-nozzle that so rarely works for vocal tonality (FatFreq Maestro Mini a rare exception) I couldn't help but notice the BAs being at different depths. If you like sets like the FiiO FH5s, more power to you, I can only write from my opinion.

1671075335452.png

It's dubious how much difference 1mm to 1.5mm makes in the long run, but that close to the ear, and in the context of how 1/1.5mm compares to the size of a BA itself makes me a little concerned it could cause at least subtle imbalance somewhere in the FR.

1671075387832.png

Due to the strong magnets I had to put the casings flush against the side of a box, which made me notice the next thing... the shell on the left (actually the R side shell) had to lean forward while the other could stay straight up... hopefully this is the only part of the shell with this much variance, because it's just the decorative part, but the glossy bulge extends out quite a different amount on each side.
Probably just that side of the IEM, when they pour/set clear resin over the blue and white "design", so no impact on fit or acoustics.

1671075302917.png

I hope the filter change makes them at least an enjoyable listen for me, or for enough people in general that it's at least possible to sell on, failing that. Being obscure is one thing for finding a buyer, but being obscure and a 50%/50% big hit or tragic miss... with any luck more consensus in reviews and impressions soon, and with any luck positive at that.

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #131 of 169
While awaiting the new filters I took of the current ones and was very relived to find the black fuzz that indicates there is hope for improvement in the tuning.

1671075087177.png

Then while taking a look though, and seeing the BA-in-the-nozzle that so rarely works for vocal tonality (FatFreq Maestro Mini a rare exception) I couldn't help but notice the BAs being at different depths. If you like sets like the FiiO FH5s, more power to you, I can only write from my opinion.

1671075335452.png

It's dubious how much difference 1mm to 1.5mm makes in the long run, but that close to the ear, and in the context of how 1/1.5mm compares to the size of a BA itself makes me a little concerned it could cause at least subtle imbalance somewhere in the FR.

1671075387832.png

Due to the strong magnets I had to put the casings flush against the side of a box, which made me notice the next thing... the shell on the left (actually the R side shell) had to lean forward while the other could stay straight up... hopefully this is the only part of the shell with this much variance, because it's just the decorative part, but the glossy bulge extends out quite a different amount on each side.
Probably just that side of the IEM, when they pour/set clear resin over the blue and white "design", so no impact on fit or acoustics.

1671075302917.png

I hope the filter change makes them at least an enjoyable listen for me, or for enough people in general that it's at least possible to sell on, failing that. Being obscure is one thing for finding a buyer, but being obscure and a 50%/50% big hit or tragic miss... with any luck more consensus in reviews and impressions soon, and with any luck positive at that.
It is possible that your ears are as exceptional as your eyes are for picking out very small differences between things. Most people probably don't have such fine-tuned senses. Even looking at the images posted I can see what you are suggesting but if you hadn't specifically mentioned it I would have judged it to be simply a small difference in positioning of the IEMs and the camera angle. Are you able to get an FR graph done to show the imbalance? I guess another point is that if such a difference exists in your pair, are you suggesting that it exists in all the pairs produced or maybe suggesting that's the reason you find them so bright, Sorry, but it's not clear what you are suggesting.

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #132 of 169
It is possible that your ears are as exceptional as your eyes are for picking out very small differences between things. Most people probably don't have such fine-tuned senses. Even looking at the images posted I can see what you are suggesting but if you hadn't specifically mentioned it I would have judged it to be simply a small difference in positioning of the IEMs and the camera angle. Are you able to get an FR graph done to show the imbalance? I guess another point is that if such a difference exists in your pair, are you suggesting that it exists in all the pairs produced or maybe suggesting that's the reason you find them so bright, Sorry, but it's not clear what you are suggesting.
Sorry if it wasn't clear.

a) I noticed small differences in the Meaoes while looking at them. I'm pretty sure the differences wouldn't actually affect the sound.
b) I hope the new filter makes them sound better than they sound to me stock, I am not a fan of the stock sound.

Nothing was followed up with "this is bad build quality" or anything, just sharing observations while bored, waiting for the filters that might "save" this set for me.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #133 of 169
Now that I got some time with the new filters. It is definitely an improvement over the stock filters. The Eagles are still energetic in nature and has ample lower treble but less so than the prior filters provides.

Several ways to tune the Eagles to your liking even more so than just the filters. The filters introduces a new parameter so I would reevaluate your tip selections after the new filter. Sources comes into play here as well.

Eagles will sound best with a warmer sounding source. Shanlings and Ibasso players for example and always try single ended over balanced.

I know some of you guys dont believe in what cables do. But for a 10 ohm hybrid. You bet it makes a difference. MEAOES gives a huge clue into the type of cables you should be hooking up with the Eagles. Copper-- Thicker the better, try your other copper cables you got on hand. It might surprise you. Included cable is OK but try something with more cores in it like an 8 cored copper cable.

Due to their 10 ohm impedance these have some room for personal improvements via tips and cables sources. Not to meniton since the filters are easily removeable. You can add the stock black filter on the bottom of the white one or cut out foams from a bud foam cover for even more decrease in the upper mids and treble AKA mod the stock nozzle. I bet with enough tinkering you can get the Eagles to sound exactly how you want it to. Makes for a nice test bed for materials to use on the nozzle.

There is no doubt the Eagles resolves much better than most IEMs in the price range but now it is a matter of getting it to how you like it. I Would try the other aspects that is easily changeable first and go from there.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #134 of 169
Now that I got some time with the new filters. It is definitely an improvement over the stock filters. The Eagles are still energetic in nature and has ample lower treble but less so than the prior filters provides.

Several ways to tune the Eagles to your liking even more so than just the filters. The filters introduces a new parameter so I would reevaluate your tip selections after the new filter. Sources comes into play here as well.

Eagles will sound best with a warmer sounding source. Shanlings and Ibasso players for example and always try single ended over balanced.

I know some of you guys dont believe in what cables do. But for a 10 ohm hybrid. You bet it makes a difference. MEAOES gives a huge clue into the type of cables you should be hooking up with the Eagles. Copper-- Thicker the better, try your other copper cables you got on hand. It might surprise you. Included cable is OK but try something with more cores in it like an 8 cored copper cable.

Due to their 10 ohm impedance these have some room for personal improvements via tips and cables sources. Not to meniton since the filters are easily removeable. You can add the stock black filter on the bottom of the white one or cut out foams from a bud foam cover for even more decrease in the upper mids and treble AKA mod the stock nozzle. I bet with enough tinkering you can get the Eagles to sound exactly how you want it to. Makes for a nice test bed for materials to use on the nozzle.

There is no doubt the Eagles resolves much better than most IEMs in the price range but now it is a matter of getting it to how you like it. I Would try the other aspects that is easily changeable first and go from there.

Got mine today and installed them with no issues.

The set was pretty edgy/bright before. There’s no doubt that the “correct” filters tame that some. They’re no longer periodically piercing on the top end. With the “correct” filters the sound is somewhat smoother and more integrated. As you point out, taming down the treble and upper mids actually causes the mids and bass to stand out a bit more.

Of course I’m hanging on to the shipped filters in case I decide I liked the older profile better but I doubt that will be the case. The “correct” filters make this set even better than before. No detail is lost, just some additional balance is introduced.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #135 of 169
Got mine today and installed them with no issues.

The set was pretty edgy/bright before. There’s no doubt that the “correct” filters tame that some. They’re no longer periodically piercing on the top end. With the “correct” filters the sound is somewhat smoother and more integrated. As you point out, taming down the treble and upper mids actually causes the mids and bass to stand out a bit more.

Of course I’m hanging on to the shipped filters in case I decide I liked the older profile better but I doubt that will be the case. The “correct” filters make this set even better than before. No detail is lost, just some additional balance is introduced.
Haven't received mine yet but pleased to hear that no detail is lost :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back