MEAOES Audiophile IEMs impressions & reviews
Dec 18, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #151 of 169
1671412533460.png

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/meaoes-eagle.26237/review/29802/ These have potential but potential nowadays will get you sidelined. It is shame as there are a lot of elements to its sound that if tuned a bit better could have been special. New filters help in that regard but why 10 ohm out I have no idea. Most cell phones have about 5 ohm out and you have to use a dedicated player with less than 1 ohm out or these become even brighter than they have to be. Its staging and details could have made it into a superstar but it's just not quite there. These sound markedly better with an aftermarket PAC480 cable. But most folks are not going to spend the time or the effort to get these sounding at their best. My take on the Eagles new filter and all.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #152 of 169
1671412533460.png

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/meaoes-eagle.26237/review/29802/ These have potential but potential nowadays will get you sidelined. It is shame as there are a lot of elements to its sound that if tuned a bit better could have been special. New filters help in that regard but why 10 ohm out I have no idea. Most cell phones have about 5 ohm out and you have to use a dedicated player with less than 1 ohm out or these become even brighter than they have to be. Its staging and details could have made it into a superstar but it's just not quite there. These sound markedly better with an aftermarket PAC480 cable. But most folks are not going to spend the time or the effort to get these sounding at their best. My take on the Eagles new filter and all.
From the review: "I feel as detailed as the Eagles are, you do have to be a fan of detailed hybrid presentations or even analytical types of sound tunings to enjoy this one. Its ample details is what stands out for the Eagles but it would have been even better if it had greater note weight with more lower mids emphasis and less upper mids presence than it shows."

And this sums it up for me in a very positive way - big fan of detailed hybrid presentations with analytical tuning. Using a Hidizs AP80 Pro (very low output impedance) where note thickness is easily adjustable and an old school Sony minidisc where note thickness is less adjustable but inherently abundant. So some advantage in matching with these players.

On a related note, I finally opened the Salnotes Zero box on the weekend and gave them a run. So wonderfully relaxed in presentation that I could have almost drifted to sleep, even while listening to bass heavy psytrance. I actually did really like them as something different, but then back to the Eagles on the same music and it was just stunning. But I did cheat by not giving the Salnote Zero a decent burn-in which I am now doing. This is simply mentioned as an indicator that the Eagles are exciting in their clarity, dynamics and detail delivery. And for my ears they're not as bright as I found Tri Starsea. Possibly because the high end detail in the Eagles doesn't hit you as a wave of sparkle and is more precisely resolved.

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #153 of 169
1671468826872.png

I get done with my review of the Eagles and have to move onto another IEM. Some of you guys may know Letshuoer S12 pro. I see this graph and also been listenging to them to have a very similar tonality and balancing of the eagles. What you know the graph here is similar as well.

1671468867765.png

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #154 of 169
1671468826872.png
I get done with my review of the Eagles and have to move onto another IEM. Some of you guys may know Letshuoer S12 pro. I see this graph and also been listenging to them to have a very similar tonality and balancing of the eagles. What you know the graph here is similar as well.

1671468867765.png

Interesting comparison. They do have a very similar profile.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #155 of 169
Tonality is strangely similar clean brightish. Eagles has the better bass for certain S12 pro sounds a bit more neutral in balancing including the bass end but its detail and how much upper mids its got seems to be similar to the Eagles. Interestingly enough. I have been just burning in the S12 pro but I was very surprised to get a completely different IEM in the S12 pro a planar IEM with some similarities to the Eagles right after I reviewed the Eagles.

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #156 of 169
Apparently Letshuoer changed up the nozzle filter much like MEAOES has for their pro model. From what I have been reading it seems their original S12 was also brighter and had more treble emphasis than the pro model. Interesting.

Sorry for geting off topic guys I just find it facinating. What is the chance I get a very similarly tuned Planar IEM from a different manufacturer was my thought. In any case.
Get your filters in place and throw on a thicker copper cable on your EAGLES and enjoy.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #157 of 169
Well hey! I got my new filters, and as I listened to the Eagles weeks ago by now, I'm not noticing much difference sound-wise, but they lack a lot of the sibilance I was previously getting so yay (I don't want to take them out of my ears soon after putting them in). A lot more pleasant to listen to, but they still sound a little thin on songs unfortunately, however other songs sound great to me. Although I was a little skeptical at first, it does seem the filters helped me quite a bit. Woo

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #158 of 169
Well hey! I got my new filters, and as I listened to the Eagles weeks ago by now, I'm not noticing much difference sound-wise, but they lack a lot of the sibilance I was previously getting so yay (I don't want to take them out of my ears soon after putting them in). A lot more pleasant to listen to, but they still sound a little thin on songs unfortunately, however other songs sound great to me. Although I was a little skeptical at first, it does seem the filters helped me quite a bit. Woo

For me they excel on orchestral recordings.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #160 of 169
As said before, Ap80 pro sounds better with eagle, on unbalanced output. Less bright, but still a bit too bright.
Next step ... I tried the Ifi audio iematch unbalanced on Ap80 and it's really better. Almost, no over bright ... I said Almost :wink:
Now, I can feel bass better.

Dec 24, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #161 of 169
As said before, Ap80 pro sounds better with eagle, on unbalanced output. Less bright, but still a bit too bright.
Next step ... I tried the Ifi audio iematch unbalanced on Ap80 and it's really better. Almost, no over bright ... I said Almost :wink:
Now, I can feel bass better.
A nice pairing is to use the AP80 as a digital turntable only and run a CS43131 dongle as the DAC. There's a bit more depth and warmth to the sound that seems to suit the Eagles very well indeed. So many DAP/DAC companies have moved over to Sabre chips and they are very good but there are still other DAC chips out there that can be more suitable for some IEMs.

Dec 25, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #162 of 169
A nice pairing is to use the AP80 as a digital turntable only and run a CS43131 dongle as the DAC. There's a bit more depth and warmth to the sound that seems to suit the Eagles very well indeed. So many DAP/DAC companies have moved over to Sabre chips and they are very good but there are still other DAC chips out there that can be more suitable for some IEMs.
Any advice for this kind of CS43131 dongle ?

Dec 25, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #163 of 169
Any advice for this kind of CS43131 dongle ?
There's been a lot written about the Cirrus Logic DAC chips. For some, they are real favourities. I'd heard the CS43131 (or related chip) chip in a Topping desktop DAC and it was obvious that it offered a different sort of flavour to the Sabre chips. When I went hunting for one last year all I could find was the CS-Pro Audio on AliExpress. They sell for something like $40 to $60 depending on how many adaptors they ship with. Quite reasonable and decent quality. I have attached an image.

The same company also make the incredibly cheap and tiny CX31993 dongle. It often sells for around $10 and gets decent reviews. It's very clean sounding but doesn't have the sense of presence that the CS chip has.

CS43131.jpeg

Jan 1, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #165 of 169
DSC_0009.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_0014.jpegsc.jpeg
DSC_0015.jpegdone.jpeg
DSC_0016.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_0026.jpeg4t3.jpeg
DSC_0024.jpeg124356.jpeg
DSC_0026.jpegqwr.jpeg
DSC_0047.jpegzdfs.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread