MEAOES Audiophile IEMs impressions & reviews
Dec 15, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #136 of 169
Haven't received mine yet but pleased to hear that no detail is lost :thumbsup:

Detail was my primary worry because that’s probably the MEAOES Eagle’s strength. All the detail and sparkle is there. It’s just ever so slightly toned down. As I mentioned before, the set could be piercing on some songs, but only slightly. That’s gone now. The overall timber and quality of the sound is the same but it’s better balanced with the white filters.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #137 of 169
Detail was my primary worry because that’s probably the MEAOES Eagle’s strength. All the detail and sparkle is there. It’s just ever so slightly toned down. As I mentioned before, the set could be piercing on some songs, but only slightly. That’s gone now. The overall timber and quality of the sound is the same but it’s better balanced with the white filters.
Well then I honestly can't wait for mine... I've put them aside for a while because of the treble. Loved them other than that. Hope the filters make them enough better to get some more use!

Dec 16, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #138 of 169
Akros just posted a video and his is the only 'new' measurement I've seen. Nothing on squig.link. In his measurement there's a 13 dB pinna gain so I think it has the wrong filters. I kind of like the design of these but I need to see a proper graph to be sure. It can't be too bright or too dull in the treble and I prefer a more gentle pinna gain. Not sure yet where my ears react to sharp female voices but Tripowin Olina OG is too bright at 2-5 MHz for me. I think Olina SE would be almost perfect.

Dec 16, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #139 of 169
Filters came. I can leave impressions later, but for now, my set are on sale in the classifieds for $80 if someone wants to try these our or wants a backup pair.
Old filters completely intact and included. New filters fitted, extra pair of new filters included. All accessories, stock tips unused. Has to sell/ship today or the next opportunity is 2 weeks away.

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #140 of 169
Looks like Acros did have the proper filters. He said so in response to a question about it in the comments. Wow, that graph is something.

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #141 of 169
Looks like Acros did have the proper filters. He said so in response to a question about it in the comments. Wow, that graph is something.
...and it's a problem that keeps these from being exceptional.

I finally tried the Truthear HEXA today, and it makes it hard to justify keeping the Eagle. I'll hold on for an auto eq/squib and the new filters.

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #142 of 169
...and it's a problem that keeps these from being exceptional.

I finally tried the Truthear HEXA today, and it makes it hard to justify keeping the Eagle. I'll hold on for an auto eq/squib and the new filters.
Any little comparison between Hexa and Eagle ?

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #143 of 169
Is the Akros graph different from the one Meaoes published? I'm not great with graphs, but they look similar. The mid-range dip up to the pinna peak seems to be around13 db which is what Akros mentioned. This was posted on page 5 of the thread previously.

MeoaesEagle.jpg

Dec 16, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #145 of 169
My own feeling on hearing the Eagles for the first time was that there was something of the diffuse field approach to tuning in them. I remembered that Moondrop SSR was not to some reviewer's tastes (but it seems to have sold very well) and the tuning of the Moondrop SSP attempted to capture those who needed more bass. The graph of the Eagles does seem to have a lot of similarity to that of the SSP - although I am not an expert at all on graphs and would appreciate comments from others who are well-versed in reading theses things. Like the SSP, are the Eagles a diffuse field tuning with a bit of extra bass energy (which is how Moondrop describe the SSP)?
Moondrop SSP_SSR.png

Dec 16, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #146 of 169
Is the Akros graph different from the one Meaoes published? I'm not great with graphs, but they look similar. The mid-range dip up to the pinna peak seems to be around13 db which is what Akros mentioned. This was posted on page 5 of the thread previously.

His graph is wild. I feel like something is off about it.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #147 of 169
Any little comparison between Hexa and Eagle ?
Eagle has better low end extension and sub/midbass levels. Takes a slight boost there like a champ for even more impact.

Hexa starts to enhance after 2kHz, but at a much lesser degree than the Eagle after 1kHz. This makes them sound similar up top but without that extra boost the Eagle has. Hexa seems much more neutral.

Both can be modified to sound class leading under $200. For my target, Hexa needs the bass bump and slight mid/treble flattening (8kHz-10kHz has a peak/dip). Eagle needs major upper mid/treble adjustments, and I don't have an AutoEQ from a graph to truly get the best of it yet.

The Hexa becomes more attractive at that point of similarity because of the price difference. You can also get away with leaving the Hexa untouched, where the Eagle is just too hot and fatiguing to run stock (IMO).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #148 of 169
Eagle has better low end extension and sub/midbass levels. Takes a slight boost there like a champ for even more impact.

Hexa starts to enhance after 2kHz, but at a much lesser degree than the Eagle after 1kHz. This makes them sound similar up top but without that extra boost the Eagle has. Hexa seems much more neutral.

Both can be modified to sound class leading under $200. For my target, Hexa needs the bass bump and slight mid/treble flattening (8kHz-10kHz has a peak/dip). Eagle needs major upper mid/treble adjustments, and I don't have an AutoEQ from a graph to truly get the best of it yet.

The Hexa becomes more attractive at that point of similarity because of the price difference. You can also get away with leaving the Hexa untouched, where the Eagle is just too hot and fatiguing to run stock (IMO).
Thanks for this feedback
I agree when you say that "Eagle needs upper mid/treble adjustments", even if it's better with the 'new' filters

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #149 of 169

MeoaesEagle.jpg
Yeah, he measured that dB difference at roughly 105 dB on this graph so the peaks are at 16 dB from the 700MHz. There's something crazy with how the upper mids and treble + air looked on his graph. Here's a screengrab of it.

Attachments

• Akros.jpg
    Akros.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #150 of 169
I'm trying to understand why I don't hear the Eagle as bright and at the same time understand better about how to read these FR graphs. Does this make sense or am I off track?

Hexa_2.jpeg

First image is a FR I found for the Hexa. After the rise to a 3k peak there is a fairly sharp drop away to 7k before hitting a prominent 8k peak. The Eagle graph hjigher up on this page of the thread) shows a stronger linear presence between 3k and 7k - some small bouncing around, with a drop off starting after 5.5k and no 8k peak as such. So I can see from the graphs (I think) that I would definitely not find the Hexa bright - i.e. if I don't hear the Eagle as bright, the graphs suggest I couldn't find the Hexa bright.

Interestingly enough, the IEM that I do find bright is the TRI Starsea where a close to linear presence is sustained from around 1.8k all the way across to a prominent 8k peak and no real drop away until after 10k. Shown in second image.

TRIStarsea.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back