MDR-SA5000... Can they be bettered?
Dec 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #46 of 274
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, seeing the cups size it had to be expected....and I *really* don't believe that a recable would increase the cups size either
tongue.gif

ooooooooh, tiny SS and boring sound....that sounds great! for ppl who like a wiiiiide SS, great comfort and stellar PRaT, there's still the cd3k
normal_smile .gif

The stock cable was faulty to begin with, might of had something to do with it.. The DT48a comes bare ended so you have to re terminate yourself..

& Boring is subjective.. I loved Titanic & found it very entertaining.. You might find that boring..
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #47 of 274
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is extremely detailed with every type of recording. I just think the FR is too flat for rock, hip hop, pop, pretty much everything with amp'd instruments or synthesized beats. Doesn't sound good to me. I agree with KBI - if you can find one for less than 50 bucks, try it out. Otherwise you might be making an expensive mistake. I spent $170 on mine and I rarely listen to it.

Yeah.. These headphones are like Russian roulette, best to buy cheap used if you are not 100% that they are your sound.

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #48 of 274
What about the HE-5?

I also have the SA5000s and am looking for an upgrade...

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #49 of 274
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boring is subjective.. I loved Titanic & found it very entertaining.. You might find that boring..
beerchug.gif

all I'm saying is that you agreed in another thread that you're a DT48 fanboy, I've got no problem admitting that the cd1k/cd3k simply DO IT for me(when you have the best, why bother eh?)...and the DT48 looks uncomfy as hell(worse than grado if that's even possible
biggrin.gif
), have a tiny SS(tiny cups) and a "boring" sound(this you said it, not me!)

I read you saying in another thread that you'd like to try the cd3k, well...sell your DT48 collection, grab one...and don't look back! life is too short to not exclusively use killer PRaT cans IMVHO
ash%20ray%20cure.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #50 of 274
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all I'm saying is that you agreed in another thread that you're a DT48 fanboy, I've got no problem admitting that the cd1k/cd3k simply DO IT for me(when you have the best, why bother eh?)...and the DT48 looks uncomfy as hell(worse than grado if that's even possible
biggrin.gif
), have a tiny SS(tiny cups) and a "boring" sound(this you said it, not me!)

I read you saying in another thread that you'd like to try the cd3k, well...sell your DT48 collection, grab one...and don't look back! life is too short to not exclusively use killer PRaT cans IMVHO
ash%20ray%20cure.gif

I'm also talking about the DT48a.. The other versions are not boring.. & only the DT48a has a really tiny SS.. You are confusing the DT48a, which was never made for music period. I just admire their technical merits.. & enjoy their boring sound cause they do somthings better then any headphone I have heard. Thats what keeps me coming back to their 'boring' sound. &, yes, I'm a fan boy.. But I'm not biased.. I only recommend them for certain genres.

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #51 of 274
Although I like (and own) both the SA5K and the DT880 (250ohm '05), I must admit that I prefer the latter, though the differences between the two are generally not wholly different.

The DT880 just has a more 3D soundstage, better bass, wetter midrange and hotter treble (more alive) then the drier SA5K.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #52 of 274
I owned and sold the SA5000 because I didn't find them that involving. Then a few weeks ago, I heard them on a top-notch balanced rig and they were substantially better than they were single ended on my system at the time. If you really like them, this is a potential route for you, although it's an expensive one (probably more expensive than just buying an HD800 once you upgrade source and amp). But I really was blown away by the balanced SA5K I heard - it didn't sound too far behind the HD800.

I own and love the CD3K - I think it shares some of the strengths of the SA5K, but I find it to be much more musical. There's something special about the CD3K to my ears that makes it kind of un-sellable to me. If you get a chance to listen to one ever, do it - it might blow your mind like it did mine.

I wouldn't buy a DT880. To my ears the DT880 had a noticeably recessed midrange that I think you won't like if you enjoy the SA5K, which has a very forward midrange.

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #53 of 274
- W5000 has warmer than SA500 signature, the details are a good notch or two up in comparison, the bass has less thump but more texture and details, good fit plays a big role or they may sound anemic in that department.
- AD2000 - lesser soundstage, out of resolving source the details are on par with SA5000, may be a tiny bit less, not as cold and have plenty of bass that is very tight and super fast but not as detailed as on W5000. Do not sound as bright as SA5000 or W5000 either. My favorites for rock, very forward and engaging (Grado like)
- DT880 600Ohm - the slowest and the least detailed out of the bunch, the highs in comparison are significantly tamed down, quite balanced across the board, have sufficient bass (much more than 250Ohm counterpart). Bigger step out of all toward HD650 signature, almost as lush but slightly colder.
- DT48E did not impress me much if any at all even that I tried quite hard to like them. I felt that even K271S sounds better, the rest IMO could just run circles around them.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #54 of 274
I often lie down on a pillow with my headphones on. I sold my AKG-701's because they were too BIG. Are the Sony MDR-SA5000 too big/bulky for lieing down and listening ?

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #56 of 274
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- W5000 has warmer than SA500 signature, the details are a good notch or two up in comparison, the bass has less thump but more texture and details, good fit plays a big role or they may sound anemic in that department.
- AD2000 - lesser soundstage, out of resolving source the details are on par with SA5000, may be a tiny bit less, not as cold and have plenty of bass that is very tight and super fast but not as detailed as on W5000. Do not sound as bright as SA5000 or W5000 either. My favorites for rock, very forward and engaging (Grado like)
- DT880 600Ohm - the slowest and the least detailed out of the bunch, the highs in comparison are significantly tamed down, quite balanced across the board, have sufficient bass (much more than 250Ohm counterpart). Bigger step out of all toward HD650 signature, almost as lush but slightly colder.
- DT48E did not impress me much if any at all even that I tried quite hard to like them. I felt that even K271S sounds better, the rest IMO could just run circles around them.

OP isn't looking for a warm headphone.

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #57 of 274
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't buy a DT880. To my ears the DT880 had a noticeably recessed midrange that I think you won't like if you enjoy the SA5K, which has a very forward midrange.

Wow, this must be opposite day! Did you listen to the 2003 version of the DT880 by chance?

To my imperfect human senses (much like us all), the DT880 has a flat midrange, and the SA5000 actually has a recessed midrange. FWIW, headroom graphs also provide an objective perspective to these specific observations.

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #58 of 274
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, this must be opposite day! Did you listen to the 2003 version of the DT880 by chance?

To my imperfect human senses (much like us all), the DT880 has a flat midrange, and the SA5000 actually has a recessed midrange. FWIW, headroom graphs also provide an objective perspective to these specific observations.

Yes, in terms of soundstage depth (one aspect that's always disregarded but still very important), the DT880 is rather flat but not totally flat. I've had the '03 DT880 and tbh, even the midrange of the DT880 '03 feels recessed compared to the 600ohm DT880. If you got a decent enough amp to properly power these (at least a Little MKIV / MKV or equivalent quality at the very least), the DT880/600 are a significant step up from all the other DT880's.

Dec 24, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #59 of 274
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP isn't looking for a warm headphone.

Warmer does not mean *warm*. There are different degrees of warmness, HD650 on one extreme of the scale and something like SA5000 on the other. W5000 would be just a notch or two not as cold as Sony.

Dec 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #60 of 274
OP, if I were you, completely disregard what people are calling 'warm' and 'cold'. That is common head-fi speak, and if I were to imagine, most people don't even understand what that means when they are saying it.

I suppose you could equate cold to dry or analytical, warm to lush or involving. IMO, it's rather absurd to describe a headphone with a temperature...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back