Mdht Stockholm - New Dac w/Asynch USB Input
Aug 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #106 of 148
Quote:
Thanks .sup

Here is a photo of the internals

beerchug.gif

I too, have had four DACs inside the listening room in the last 18 months - ownership/evaluation. I'm being careful with that potential addiction as well. I'm sure you've got an answer by now, that only one section will be activated when hooking up the balanced DAC in SE. I had the Balanced Havana in for a couple of months last summer.

Could a modded balanced Stockholm be in my future?

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #107 of 148
Quote:
Thanks for the pic it looks amazing! I always wondered if a tube dac and tube amp would be too much in terms of "tubey" sound or too "toobish" if you know what I mean. Have you tried it?

No. I paired the Mhdt Balanced Havana with the WooAudio WA 6 Special Edition with good results. The amp doesn't sound tubey to begin with. But your potential match up will depend on your front-end, amp and tube selection.

Also, for comparison, I connected the DAC to my Pioneer SX-650. The differences in warmth between to two amps weren't very much. But like running water, this will vary...

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #109 of 148
Quote:
beerchug.gif

I too, have had four DACs inside the listening room in the last 18 months - ownership/evaluation. I'm being careful with that potential addiction as well. I'm sure you've got an answer by now, that only one section will be activated when hooking up the balanced DAC in SE. I had the Balanced Havana in for a couple of months last summer.

The problem is that both tubes are on all the time even if you are on SE mode.
That's why I opted for a SE option.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #110 of 148
Quote:
Quote:
beerchug.gif

The problem is that both tubes are on all the time even if you are on SE mode.
That's why I opted for a SE option.

Now you've got me wishing I had checked...
rolleyes.gif
 just to be checking. I find it odd though, if this is Stockholm specific due to its design. I can't wait for you to spend more time with this modded DAC. I'm feeling dreamy...

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #111 of 148
I contacted MDHT Labs and Jiun responded straight away and confirmed that both tubes are on in either mode.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #112 of 148
Quote:
I contacted MDHT Labs and Jiun responded straight away and confirmed that both tubes are on in either mode.

This is interesting. I keep thinking about buying my DACs "Balanced" just in case one day I decide to, you know, go balanced. But with the SE being more affordable, I might have to start thinking about getting one. Of course, your impressions will matter. 

I'll be quick to add, if I can't mod it, I won't bother. 
biggrin.gif
 What good is the cat without the meow?

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #113 of 148
Quote:
This is interesting. I keep thinking about buying my DACs "Balanced" just in case one day I decide to, you know, go balanced. But with the SE being more affordable, I might have to start thinking about getting one. Of course, your impressions will matter. 

biggrin.gif

If I'm not mistaken, there's a balanced Stockholm on the FS forums for far less than what it would cost retail.

Edit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616312/mhdt-stockholm-balanced-tube-non-oversampling-dac-mhdt-havana-successor-unopened-nib

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #114 of 148
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

If I'm not mistaken, there's a balanced Stockholm on the FS forums for far less than what it would cost retail.

Edit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616312/mhdt-stockholm-balanced-tube-non-oversampling-dac-mhdt-havana-successor-unopened-nib

Thanks for the assist. We're a little short today...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #116 of 148
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #117 of 148
Quote:

The DAC (modded) certainly has my attention.

X2... but I seem to be missing something, what are these mods you speak of?

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #119 of 148
Thanks, the modded one is not the FS one, that's where I lost track
redface.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #120 of 148
Here are some nice tubes for the Stockholm:

Lufthansa 2C51

Users who are viewing this thread

Back