MD/VA/DC Meet Impressions thread!
Apr 5, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #91 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I was comparing the Coda/Overture to the M3/Ack Dac combos, using the same source (I believe it was a Sony DVD/CD middle of the line source. This was the M3 with an external power supply. At first I thought the Coda/Overture combo sounded better, but then I learned a lesson about volume being a deceiving player in head to head combos. When I lowered the volume on the Coda, I saw the M3 was a clear winner. Lot's of resolution in the midrange. However, this M3/Ack Dac combo is more money, so it might not be a fair comparison.

The Ack is also an excellent DAC. I would think any portable DAC would have a tough time competing with it.

The M3 is a great amp and seems to be very competitive to other solid state offerings, particularly for its price. I preferred the Headamp GS-1 and the Singlepower solid state amp to the M3, but honestly there wasn't that much difference with a short listen.

Headroom:
I didn't listen to the Headroom Coda/Overture, but I did check out the Max with the new reference module. Very smooth, this is one of the best solid state amps and continuously underrated.

Qualia:
I found out that the strange soundstage is improved by moving the headphone around and finding the correct position on your ear. Still, the Qualia still hasn't grabbed me. Considering how long it took for the R10 to take its effect on me, I am not discounting the Qualia. Someone just needs to send me theirs so I can listen at home. Size small please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hirsch's Singlepower SDS:
This beast continues to improve and is a champ with the R10. It grabs the R10 by the balls and shakes some serious bass out of it.

Singlepower Solid State amp and PPX3 SLAM:
The solid state amp shows some serious promise. Looking forward to another listen. The PPX3 SLAM is another amp that grabs your headphone by the balls. It is a higher power version of the PPX3 with an interesting feedback dial. This is the
basshead.gif
basshead's amplifier.

Headamp AE-1:
Finally a portable that has what I am looking for. Internal Li-Ion rechargeables in a stylish machined case with both RCA and mini jack inputs. The sound is promising but not quite as full in the bottom end as the GS-1:

Headamp GS-1:
Justin's designs continue to get more and more professional as witnessed by the GS-1 and the AE-1. The GS-1 looks like a larger Gilmore Lite. The GS-1 is essentially an update to the V2 with a redesigned regulated power supply and modular dynalo boards. It has a warmer sound than the V2 and happens to be an excellent amp all around. Definitely my choice in the under $1,000 solid state category.

Sennheiser HE-60/KGSS:
The 'baby orpheus' is always a crowd pleaser due to it's clarity and airiness while maintaining a natural sound. This headphone rocks too but not quite as smooth or three dimensional as the Omega 2. It's too bad the HEV-70 amp sucks but this headphone competes with the best on a Stax amp or KGSS.

Stevieo's speakers:
The Klipsch's woke up the neighbors - I forgot why speakers kick ass when it comes to bass. These things were sweet with some Dream Theater. Steve, how old is your daughter?

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #92 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Singlepower Solid State amp and PPX3 SLAM:
The solid state amp shows some serious promise. Looking forward to another listen.

The who the what now?
eek.gif
I didn't spend as much time as I wanted to with the Singlepowers, but if there was a solid-state version, it went completely under my radar. Where was it sitting, and does anyone have more impressions of it?

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #93 of 141
Quote:

Headamp GS-1: Definitely my choice in the under $1,000 solid state category.

Did you get a chance to try one of the Veda Audio Dynahi's at the meet?

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #94 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
The who the what now?
eek.gif
I didn't spend as much time as I wanted to with the Singlepowers, but if there was a solid-state version, it went completely under my radar. Where was it sitting, and does anyone have more impressions of it?

The SinglePower solid state amp was not at the meet. A small group of us got together at my place on Sunday, and had chance to hear the prototype there. Sometimes one day is not enough...
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #95 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
The SinglePower solid state amp was not at the meet. A small group of us got together at my place on Sunday, and had chance to hear the prototype there. Sometimes one day is not enough...
tongue.gif

Ah -- I feel better, then. At least I didn't overlook it. Love to hear some impressions when you get the chance, though.

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #96 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox

Unfortunately not. I did get a chance to listen to the Wheatfield HA-2 with a Sennheiser HD-650. I can see why you would like this smooth amp. Good stuff.

Apr 5, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #97 of 141
Quote:

Unfortunately not. I did get a chance to listen to the Wheatfield HA-2 with a Sennheiser HD-650. I can see why you would like this smooth amp. Good stuff.

Yeah, the Wheatfield is like butter.
cool.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #98 of 141
Quote:

GS is going to send me a demo model so I can check it out. Thanks GS
cool.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #99 of 141
Quote:

Yeah, the Wheatfield is like butter.
cool.gif

Like buttah. Like Barbra Streisand's legs.

The Wheatfield is very dependant on the right tube combo...if I may quote Hirsch. If not, too late...I already did.

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #100 of 141
ittybicker - lol... that is exactly what I thought when I was typing it.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, the one that I heard had ~$2000 of Freds tubes in it.
cool.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #101 of 141
Quote:

ittybicker - lol... that is exactly what I thought when I was typing it.
biggrin.gif

cool.gif

The best place for any amp in need of tubes is Hirsch's house.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #102 of 141
I can imagine.
eek.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #103 of 141
Quote:

cool.gif

confused.gif

I couldn't put $2K of tubes in the Wheatfield if I tried. I'm really curious: Just how did Fred find a way to spend $2K on those three tubes? It would take some serious work. I think can find a way to spend around $500, but only by being extravagant and/or downright silly. $150-$200 gets you a top set of tubes for the amp in real life. You can tube the amp with decent NOS tubes for $30.

Apr 6, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #104 of 141
Quote:

Qualia:
I found out that the strange soundstage is improved by moving the headphone around and finding the correct position on your ear. Still, the Qualia still hasn't grabbed me. Considering how long it took for the R10 to take its effect on me, I am not discounting the Qualia. Someone just needs to send me theirs so I can listen at home. Size small please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting, Brian! This is something that Nik (and several other folks) keep saying about finding the correct position with the pads, getting a proper seal, etc. That, and the break-in issue (i.e., the need for an abnormally long break-in period).

Oh, and that the Qualia 010 are more system dependent than nearly any other headphones. Let's see, oh ya, and they also relentlessly reveal any and all artifacts in "bad" recordings, but respond exceptionally well to the beauty that resides several layers beneath the surface with "good" recordings (i.e., they pick up details like no other headphones available today, and thus represent a new standard).

So it seems that you really would need to spend a lot of time with the Qualia 010 and to have a chance to get used to their quirks before any true love you might have for them would begin to settle in. All in all, this is what is to be expected. They seem to be a thing unto themselves in the headphone world (a top performing "musical instrument" as Nik likes to call them), and could definitely change the way you think about headphone listening, for good or bad.

Apr 6, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #105 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Interesting, Brian! This is something that Nik (and several other folks) keep saying about finding the correct position with the pads, getting a proper seal, etc. That, and the break-in issue (i.e., the need for an abnormally long break-in period).

Oh, and that the Qualia 010 are more system dependent than nearly any other headphones. Let's see, oh ya, and they also relentlessly reveal any and all artifacts in "bad" recordings, but respond exceptionally well to the beauty that resides several layers beneath the surface with "good" recordings (i.e., they pick up details like no other headphones available today, and thus represent a new standard).

So it seems that you really would need to spend a lot of time with the Qualia 010 and to have a chance to get used to their quirks before any true love you might have for them would begin to settle in. All in all, this is what is to be expected. They seem to be a thing unto themselves in the headphone world (a top performing "musical instrument" as Nik likes to call them), and could definitely change the way you think about headphone listening, for good or bad.

Or...one could just go out and buy the Big O!

Oh wait...you already did that. Onward to the Qualias!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back