MD/VA/DC Meet Impressions thread!
Apr 5, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #76 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The GS-1 is just a modular Gilmore Dynalo with a (new?) PSU design?

-Ed

That's what it looks like from the pics at headamp. Note that the amp boards themselves have much more ground plane (and possibly power plane) usage on their layout than the V2 did (the V2 boards have virtually no ground plane in the amp section itself)... much more like the new Lite boards.

The PSU is hard to discern. I can't tell from the pics what is on the heatsinks, but I would assume the regulators are there. Therefore, no OPA548/541 opamps for the output stage. However, it does use discrete rectifiers (probably Stealth or MUR860s or some type of hexfred) whereas the V2 used packaged std. rectifiers. There does appear to be one or two pots on the PSU... if this base PCB is going to be used to offer Dynahi boards as well, the PSU has to be configurable as the Dynahi uses +/- 30V PSU vs. the +/- 16V for the Dynalo, also at a higher current capability.

Apr 5, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #77 of 141
Quote:

LOL, makes my PS Audio xStream Plus cable seem less......adequate.
biggrin.gif

same here.
tongue.gif

at the San Mateo meet, I switched between my Plus and gundam91's PS Audio Statement and there was a slight difference. but then the Statement costs a lot more than the Plus so I think I'm okay with what I have.

PS Audio also uses 6 gauge conductors in their Statement PC. it is thick.
biggrin.gif

I wonder how much Mikhail's PC costs.

Apr 5, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #79 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
same here.
tongue.gif

at the San Mateo meet, I switched between my Plus and gundam91's PS Audio Statement and there was a slight difference. but then the Statement costs a lot more than the Plus so I think I'm okay with what I have.

PS Audio also uses 6 gauge conductors in their Statement PC. it is thick.
biggrin.gif

I wonder how much Mikhail's PC costs.

I think that 6 gauge power cords are complete utter overkill for solid state headphone amps. (well, not sure about the power hungry Dynahi).

But they are impressive looking. If not unwieldly.

-Ed

Apr 5, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #80 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Aaron, check my new signature!
icon10.gif
cool.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Wayne...I am honored! However, I'm not "worth-y", but I am more worthy
tongue.gif

Mikhail's VD Master clone is approximately 1/4 of what the VD's go for.
A 5' Master is $2100. A 5' Black Nite is $1100. His are $500+/- (please don't quote me on this...it was a quick conversation). The flexibility limits, are not apartment worthy, so I didn't pursue it. However, if you have the space, it should be a great deal.

Apr 5, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #81 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyandelyse
You boys had some fun..............................

Radii Hap 03-ll and senn ???? I thought so......

Dan

Danny, Everybody that tried your Hap was amazed at the sound for the money. You are truly a groundbreaker....a modern day pioneer. In the old days, they would have put your bust on a coin.
You are currently missing a red LED, however. Ask Mr. Radii to send you one, and I will pay for and replace it. (I figured if I told you in front of a group, you couldn't kill me...like on Jerry Springer).

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #82 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Mikhail's VD Master clone is approximately 1/4 of what the VD's go for.
A 5' Master is $2100. A 5' Black Nite is $1100. His are $500+/- (please don't quote me on this...it was a quick conversation). The flexibility limits, are not apartment worthy, so I didn't pursue it. However, if you have the space, it should be a great deal.

is this something different than what HiGHFLYiN9 is talking about? the VD website mentions the conductors are 10 gauge in those PC's, while HiGHFLYiN9 mentions that Mikhail's PC's uses 6 gauge conductors. or does Mikhail have several different PC's and you guys are talking about different cords?

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #83 of 141
Perhaps we need to go to the source, so it is not just speculation. My conversation with Mikhail, regarding his cables was a short one. But I thought it deserved attention as an impression on the meet.

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #85 of 141
Was I the only one who thought Headrooms Coda/Overture stack was a pleasent surprise?

I did not get to AB, it directly to the other portables, because it was at another table, but I am sure looking forward to the next generation of products from headroom.

Apr 5, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #86 of 141
Quote:

LOL, makes my PS Audio xStream Plus cable seem less......adequate.
biggrin.gif

Well.. as long as it doesn't make YOU feel less adaquete
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #87 of 141
Sound like a great meet!! I would love to hear more impression.

Thanks.

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #89 of 141
Seems you guys had a lot of fun
cool.gif

Did anyone get a chance to compare m3 to the higher priced amps? I'm curious to know what I'm 'missing out' on
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #90 of 141
I was comparing the Coda/Overture to the M3/Ack Dac combos, using the same source (I believe it was a Sony DVD/CD middle of the line source. This was the M3 with an external power supply. At first I thought the Coda/Overture combo sounded better, but then I learned a lesson about volume being a deceiving player in head to head combos. When I lowered the volume on the Coda, I saw the M3 was a clear winner. Lot's of resolution in the midrange. However, this M3/Ack Dac combo is more money, so it might not be a fair comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back