mb quart qp 400
Oct 18, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #16 of 29
At the very least I have ~$35 Beyer lookalike pads
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
Alright I just won a pair of these, a little under $70 new with shipping, I'll be sure to post some comments when I get them.

May your valor be rewarded. I look forward to hearing what you find out!

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #18 of 29
There was also an MB Quart 805 HS on Ebay stores that was going for $40 + $15 S&H, it's a little on the ugly side but it looked like it would be decent for when you're out in a compromising environment recording. Headwize had a comparitive review of it and it got similar ratings to a Senn HD25SP FWIW.

Oct 20, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 29
Alright just got em in the mail today (pretty quick shipping!). Quite comfortable cans I might add, they have velour pads that are very similar to the beyers but a bit darker in color. The headband is made of a nice soft material and clicks into place with the side adjustable bands, which are somewhat loose so they almost automatically adjust to your head. In regards to sound quality, these headphones definently lean toward the bright side of the spectrum, midrange is Beyer dry and there seems to be a decent amount of bass, but there's certainly not a lot of it. The cans are 300 ohms so I don't think they will work well unamped, although I may try that in the future. I'll be sure to post more as these burn in.

Oct 25, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
In regards to sound quality, these headphones definently lean toward the bright side of the spectrum, midrange is Beyer dry and there seems to be a decent amount of bass, but there's certainly not a lot of it. The cans are 300 ohms so I don't think they will work well unamped, although I may try that in the future. I'll be sure to post more as these burn in.

Update: I just got my Quart 55x today (older model, 100 ohms) and totally agree with highflyin's comments. Somewhat brighter and considerably less bass compared to Beyer 531. Overall they have the look of Beyers ... without the punch.

Oct 25, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #21 of 29
I've found that the main problem with the cans is that the earpads keep the drivers farther away from the ear than is optimal. If you push them closer to your ear about an inch there is less brightness and there is much more bass. The only pad I can think of that isn't as thick to swap it with is the AKG240 pad, too bad its pleather.

Oct 26, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #22 of 29
Well .. you have a 'good' problem, most probably the pads will soften with usage and bass will get better over time. Pads on my 55x are already thin to begin with (it was recently replaced) and bass didn't change much when I change the driver-ear distance.

On further comparison, 55x's bass is somewhat like 271s only not as deep: it is there and not owerpowering. For the money (mine was for 25 euro used) they represents quite good value, giving about 80% of Beyer quality for less than half - also used - prices.

BTW do qp400 come with straight or coiled cables ?

Oct 26, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 29
Congrats highflyin9!
Have you already rewired them
icon10.gif
? Quick man!

MB Quart open lineup is surely one of the most comfortable cans in the world. And I prefer QP400 on its cool sound and its straight cable (I know it meaningless for you
icon10.gif
). Well, I have some experience on MB Quart cans.

QP400: Bass shy. the lowest efficiency Cans. My SLP88 can not drive them although it drives HD600. accurate and high-rez as DT931, but not agressive at all, never been hot. not for Rock.

X95: somehow similar to DT931, in style and in sound. there must be a peak on high. The bass responce can reach to low end, so it's matter of tone balance. They are unruly horse. More difficult to drive than DT931. 120 Ohm output is suitable for it (as DT931). Very good resolution. It's old Top model, but you won't be disapointed when you have a chance to hear them with nice amp.

X45: old midrange. more bass than TOP models. suitable for Pops. Same reague in HD570, DT531. I recommend only when the price is very low.

QP85: similar style of ERGO AMT. I don't think it's comfortable
tongue.gif
with sliding volume. sounds not punchy. flat. Less bass.

Something I have to write about MBQuart.
1. They are not OEM of Beyerdynamic. even they look similar
2. MB Quart's user supprt is more than the best.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #24 of 29
And what's about MQ Quart QP-805 HS? Did somebody hear it?

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #25 of 29
Here's the Greek HiTech Magazine roundup that was done. I improved the translation somewhat, though I don't have the untranslated original. So I don't know what "level" meant from the previous translation. Ability to drive to very high volumes without distortion?

I also re-translated the cd player and mixer one from 2001.

Interestingly, I managed to score a brand new Ixos 1001 today for $72. A friend lost mine a few years back after claiming it was his favorite of mine and me letting him borrow them. Not sure it was ever my favorite, but it's practically a collectable now. Hell, maybe I shouldn't even open it. I like it a lot more than the Grado 60, and it's less fatiguing than the Sony V6/7506...though the Sony can handle a lot more power. It can be overly inoffensive, though. I think one person called it "powdery-sounding" on this forum or another to me. Fairly accurate, but I'm unsure I ever tried amping it well. Another poster says he thinks it blows the SR-325 away. hmm.

The new Ortofons are quite amazing, though. Wonder what that friend would think of those. It will be fun to compare an Ixos that has never been overdriven before (which I did a lot to the others) to the O One and the O2 that is being sent for review.

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #26 of 29

Quote:
has anyone heard these or know anything about them?

The MB Quart QP400 is not a closed headphone, just so everyone here knows. Direct from Sonic Electronix...a very reliable source for this information.

1. Frequency Response: 14-24,100 Hz
  2. Nominal Impedance: 300 Ohm
  3. Acoustical Principle: Open
  4. Average pressure on the ear: Approx. 3 N
  5. Weight without cable: 8.5 oz. (240 grams)
  6. Connectors: Stereo mini-jack (3.5 mm), plus adapter (1/4" or 6.3mm)
  7. Cables: 9.8 ft. (3m) Black straight cord
  8. Color: Silver and Black

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #28 of 29
The Other Allen
Don't you know the cable which is set on MB Quart QP400 headphones which are sold in Sonic Electronix, original or replaced one?

May 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #29 of 29
You can get a new pair of these for just 109,99 $ on ebay by sonic electronix. They're playing same league as sennheiser hd 600/ 650 or Beyers DT 880. It's old stock from 2007. Same as German Maestro GMP 400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back