MAXELL new IEM's - MXH-DBA700 (dual hybrid) and MXH-DD600 (dual dynamic) - soon to be released in Japan!
Nov 22, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #16 of 58
True. Technicaly, I think this is way to go! The combination of the dynamic driver performance for the low end and the BA detail and resolution for mids and highs, seems to be the best compromise yet... I'm sold to the hybrids! The VSONIC "GR08" is coming soon and there's also the Cosmic Ears HY3 hybrid CIEM for a great price! Dark times are coming for my wallet... :D

About these new Maxell models, the price (in Japan) is very good, but let's wait and see if their sonic performance is any good! But I don't like flat cables that much... 

Certainly, I think Hyrbids are the future of IEMs, they offer good balance of both worlds, dynamic and BA, counter attacking each others weakness. I think a lot more work need be involved acheiving the right tuning, we may not be exactly there yet. Though with the right brains and learning curves, they will dominate the IEM scene in coming years. :wink: You free up the BA's to concentrate on mid and highs, while Mr dynamic works on the lower abs.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #17 of 58
I remember back in the days I used to buy black cassette tapes that these guys made...
regular_smile%20.gif

back in the...? what year is it again I forget.

what remarkable restraint in here, nobody's instantly bought a set yet.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #18 of 58

I still have an unwrapped one or two of those tapes. Just collecting dust now.

With all the choices out there mostly reviewed, I think people are waiting for reviewers to give their impressions. With all the hybrids coming out, for me, I'm waiting most for the triple dynamic FXZ-100/200 to be more fully reviewed as my first choice. If it doesn't fit what I want, then I'll wait for the other hybrids to come out and be reviewed as well. No, not ready to throw money at a AKG K3003.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #19 of 58
I checked all their worldwide sites and then noticed the Amazon.jp link is for a preorder only, so :"December 07, 2012 is the projected release date of this product. Availability is for booking right now. "

Just over two weeks away.

Nice to know the price though.

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

HAHAHAHAA... +10000

classic...classic stuff...my generation really went through quite a lot of media format; LP, cassette tapes, CD, and digital media (mp3's and the likes)

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #21 of 58
Quote:
I checked all their worldwide sites and then noticed the Amazon.jp link is for a preorder only, so :"December 07, 2012 is the projected release date of this product. Availability is for booking right now. "
Just over two weeks away.
Nice to know the price though.

Yes, I mentioned that. I started this thread when they were officially announced, but they'll be available soon. Still, you can pre-order them now from Amazon.co.jp! How's your japanese, btw? 
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #22 of 58
A pretty solid source tell me that we will see these outside of Japan in January, so it really isn't that long a wait.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #23 of 58
Quote:
A pretty solid source tell me that we will see these outside of Japan in January, so it really isn't that long a wait.

Great news! I'll update the first post with that info! I'm keeping a close eye over the dual hybrid model, althouth that flat cable is a bit of a deal breaker for me...

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #24 of 58
I am not sure that i think Hybrid is the future of IEMs. I think it is the latest thing to do and will die off, in fact it should because it is not good enough. I own three, H-100, AF78 and HY3XB and none have got close to nailing a crossover. Coherency is just not right, you can tell its two different drivers and the timbres of the two drivers always clash. I am not saying there will never be a good one and i have yet to try the K3003 and 1plus2 (i will soon) but i think it will take a lot of driver matching a tuning and expense to get it right and until then they will continue churning out more okay IEMs. I will be honest and say that the H-100 is the closest to getting there but i would take many others other it. Anyway, we will see how these turn out, considering these are likely going to be OEMed from a fairly good source, they sell a Fischer FA-004 re brand.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #25 of 58
Quote:
I am not sure that i think Hybrid is the future of IEMs. I think it is the latest thing to do and will die off, in fact it should because it is not good enough. I own three, H-100, AF78 and HY3XB and none have got close to nailing a crossover. Coherency is just not right, you can tell its two different drivers and the timbres of the two drivers always clash. I am not saying there will never be a good one and i have yet to try the K3003 and 1plus2 (i will soon) but i think it will take a lot of driver matching a tuning and expense to get it right and until then they will continue churning out more okay IEMs. I will be honest and say that the H-100 is the closest to getting there but i would take many others other it. Anyway, we will see how these turn out, considering these are likely going to be OEMed from a fairly good source, they sell a Fischer FA-004 re brand.

I totally disagree, and I think the technology will improve and get better. I see the hybrid the same way that I see the dual-driver dynamic. There is a unique layering of the of vocals and instruments that you just don't hear in many single drivers. A good hybrid or dual driver dynamic can really aid to a 3-D soundstage. Plus, I have heard the AS-2 and ASG-2 prototypes by Aurisonics (dynamic and two BAs). The synergy is just incredible in those IEMs.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally disagree, and I think the technology will improve and get better. I see the hybrid the same way that I see the dual-driver dynamic. There is a unique layering of the of vocals and instruments that you just don't hear in many single drivers. A good hybrid or dual driver dynamic can really aid to a 3-D soundstage. Plus, I have heard the AS-2 and ASG-2 prototypes by Aurisonics (dynamic and two BAs). The synergy is just incredible in those IEMs.

Dual dynamics are nothing special, a good dynamic or multi BA will easily floor them but that has more potential as like multi BAs, they have the same timbre and speed as each other so they are coherent and complete. I think if someone put some effort in they will make a true top tier dual dynamic and i am excited for JVCs new triple.

Hybrid is different, they just do not wanna work together.

The ASG2 is different. Completely different. Instead of implementing a crossover and using the dynamic for bas and BA for the rest, it uses a full rage dynamic with the 2 BAs simply sitting on top of the treble providing a bit more. This idea should prove a lot more successful as it is not playing around with a crossover which i apparent companies like Audiofly could just not manage.

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #27 of 58
Quote:
Dual dynamics are nothing special, a good dynamic or multi BA will easily floor them but that has more potential as like multi BAs, they have the same timbre and speed as each other so they are coherent and complete. I think if someone put some effort in they will make a true top tier dual dynamic and i am excited for JVCs new triple.

Hybrid is different, they just do not wanna work together.

The ASG2 is different. Completely different. Instead of implementing a crossover and using the dynamic for bas and BA for the rest, it uses a full rage dynamic with the 2 BAs simply sitting on top of the treble providing a bit more. This idea should prove a lot more successful as it is not playing around with a crossover which i apparent companies like Audiofly could just not manage.

Saying dual dynamics are nothing special is like saying a dynamic or a BA is nothing special. You would be right depending on the dynamic or BA driver itself. But we know that not all dynamics and BAs are the same (in construction, materials used in some cases and the way its tuned). So I would have to disagree again and state that some dual dynamics "are" something special. With all of the earphones you seem to have heard, I'm surprised you would make such sweeping statements.

And you're not totally correct about the ASG2, but I am not at liberty to go into that now. I will say this: I have heard some dual dynamics that aren't that good, and I've head some that I was really impressed by. It just concerns me when blanket statements are made about products. I actually the AF78 way better than you. It does have some kinks to be worked out, but I think it will get there. But I wouldn't make a blanket statement that the two different driver just don't work well together. And even if the ASG2's technology was as simple as you stated (which is not), it's still a hybrid of two different type driver working together to produce one cohesive and glorious sound. All new technology need a growing period. I know for a fact that there are new BAs out there that are much better sounding than what was out there two years ago. To accept what you are saying is like telling audio engineers to stop trying to push this audio technology and hobby forward. But I also get that it's your opinion. I just wanted it on record that there are different opinions out here about hybrids and dual dynamic technology. And I don't agree that every single dynamic or single BA can destroy or perform just as well as every hybrid or dual dynamic. Some do and some don't. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #30 of 58
Consider that two great dynamic drivers can be better than a single great one and it's much easier to tune, but on the other hand harder to put together in a case.
For example, let's take RE-272 highs with Atrio MG7 lows and mids... that would make for one wicked dual dynamic.

It is possible however to tune a dynamic driver to the limit of perfection (what Hifiman RE series actually approaches), but then it will get heavily dependent on fit. Tuning a dynamic driver involves tradeoffs - for bass, it needs to have large displacement volume (and thus a large case), while for highs and low THD, it has to be relatively rigid. (but not too rigid, and it will start losing high end extension) and probably air dampened. You can try and sacrifice size and/or sensitivity to achieve these goals, but it gets much easier if you have two or more drivers.

(Aside note: "Samsung" soft silicone/gel elliptical medium tips work better than Comply foam or included biflanges with RE series for me. It's much easier to fit those, as Comply have a tendency to obscure highs. We need more tips in this shape.)

BAs on the other hand have the disadvantage here of narrower bandwidth, nonlinear impedance and much less tunability, but they're smaller, don't need large "back" air volume and thus are much easier to implement in an IEM.
They also seem to cause much less bone-conducted vibration, which improves bass perception ("impact"), regardless of its volume or pressure.
Apparently that's why CIEMs (and foam tips?) always have better bass impact - due to full shell and near-perfect fit providing much better bone conduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back