Maverick D1 and Grado HF2, what's next?
Jul 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lurch104

New Head-Fier
Hello! I have been spinning myself in circles the last month or so trying to find a stepping (jumping) off point in this hobby. I stumbled upon one of the HF2 threads and decided that a mid range set of Grados seemed like a good start.

I have a fairly extensive iTunes library ripped at mostly 256 and 320 kbs so I thought that would provide a good source. Since the music sits on an IMac, I thought the next choice was easy, an Airport Express with Toslink cable and adapter. I thought it would be nice that I could set up anywhere in my house and use the Remote App on my iPhone to control my music library with the AE.

Next, I spent many long night going back and forth over DAC/amp combos and standalones. Again, knowing I was new and never actually listening to any of the gear I was considering I made a conservative choice. Generally I try to avoid buying any product at an entry level cost as I know it will be much more expensive when I eventually upgrade. I rationalized that I could use the D1 to ffeed my computer speakers if/when I upgrade. Also, I could use the D1's SS amp to drive my HF2s until I decide which tube amp to go with.  I liked the Idea of the tube preamp out that could feed something else.

That brings me to my question, where do I go from here?  When all of the gear arrives I plan to take some time to get to know what I have.  But, I am always planning for the next step.  I would like to move up to a standalone tube amp that will work with my cans and D1.  I was thinking a Woo Audio WA6 or WA6SE.  I love the idea of listening to my tunes while watching a vacuum tube glowing like a candle to set the mood.

Since this next step is where I can start spending some real cash, I was hoping to solicit some advice and opinion.

My musical tastes are rather eclectic but I mostly listen to cool/bop jazz (Miles Davis), acoustic (Barenaked Ladies), and indie (Deathcab/Sufjan etc).

If you are with me this far, thanks for listening to my rambling.  Head-Fi is much more fun than reviewing contracts at the moment.

Take Care,

John

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 5
SInce I am a paragon of patience and self denial, I placed an order for the WA6 with Sophia.  I figured that even if it is not exactly what I want I will be able to quickly sell it and get something else.  Now to start cleaning up my digital library before I absolutely melt my atm card.

My Maverick Tubemagic D1 was delivered to the office today.  My secretary was wondering what on earth I was getting from Shanghai Alpha Expres Limited.  I smiled a little.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 5
 Well your off to a smashing start my friend. I just received my D1 also and have my HF-2's on the way. D1 is a good buy - I intend on modding it - alot.
Where to from here? Well I guess youv'e heard all the hype about the JH-3A? Should be an amazing product and actually well priced as a JH16 package IMO - for what it does.
Also if your looking for a closed can one day, I would recommend the LA-2000 markl modded. I have them and they are excellent. I actually prefered them over my recabled Edition 9's and JH16's. (pretty big call)  Mine have the full mod (except stuffed pads) and a very good custom silver cable though.
So when your wallet recovers (good luck in this hobby!) I recommend looking into those 2 items. JH-3A and LA-2000. Good luck Mate!

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 5
I have begun to look in that direction.  I was thinking how nice the JH16 package would be for mowing my yard.  Currently I use an iPod w/ear buds under external hearing protectors.  Wouldn't it be fun to use an in the ear setup? 

However, I am having a hard time justifying an audio system for my tractor that costs more than it does.

John

Quote:
 Well your off to a smashing start my friend. I just received my D1 also and have my HF-2's on the way. D1 is a good buy - I intend on modding it - alot.
Where to from here? Well I guess youv'e heard all the hype about the JH-3A? Should be an amazing product and actually well priced as a JH16 package IMO - for what it does.
Also if your looking for a closed can one day, I would recommend the LA-2000 markl modded. I have them and they are excellent. I actually prefered them over my recabled Edition 9's and JH16's. (pretty big call)  Mine have the full mod (except stuffed pads) and a very good custom silver cable though.
So when your wallet recovers (good luck in this hobby!) I recommend looking into those 2 items. JH-3A and LA-2000. Good luck Mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back