Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info Thread
Apr 5, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #91 of 166
I received the D2 and Ryan from Maverick Audio said it would take a full week to burn-in. He said to leave it on continuously but because there is a tube in the circuit that is always on (even if you are not using the tube output) I turned it off quite often and let it cool down. The SS output sounds clean and noise free and the tube output sounds very similar to me but with a slightly reduced treble. The tube output sounds smooth and is also completely free of any noise. I am still letting it burn in and just getting into evaluating the external DAC. I can say it sounds better than all my optical drives with better resolution and detail. It's not night and day but you can hear that the sound quality has improved. There were a couple of slight issue's when I received the unit, first the chassis was racked and sat on 3 of the 4 feet and the top has a slight dent. The box looked fine so I don't know what else could have been done to prevent damage. Ryan has worked with me on this and has offered to refund a percentage of the purchase price, I haven't received the refund as of yet but will update when I do. 
Even though this is my first DAC and there were a few issue's with shipping from China I'm happy with the purchase. The unit functions perfectly and offers 3 different inputs as well as 2 outputs, both tube and SS. I am going to continue to allow it to burn-in and spend time evaluating the tube and SS outputs with different amps. I will post again when I think the burn-in is complete and have tried some different configurations.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #92 of 166
Can you give us any info on where you bought it and the price?  Using an Ember and Asus Essence STX and am quite happy with these but always on the lookout for something just a little better.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #93 of 166
I purchased directly from the Maverick Audio website. I assume that the DAC in my Oppo and even the Onkyo Integra are of fairly good quality and this external DAC is superior so I would hope it would be better than the DAC on a sound card or motherboard. I purchased the unit with upgraded op-amps (OPA627) and the tube is an GE5670W which is an upgrade according to the website. The DAC was $315.00 shipped. It does provide an improvement in sound quality in my system and the fact that it has 3 inputs and 2 outputs is great for me. I have my Oppo and my Samsung drives connected right now and feed both my amps so I have some great options. I think burn-in is completed or close and really enjoy both SS and tube outputs. They do sound different and depending on my mood I can choose what sound signature I'm in the mood for. Lately its been the SS output to my LD MKIII amp. But the truth is the tube output to my O2 sounds really good too. 
BTW I did receive the refund for the shipping damage. Ryan runs the business well and I would purchase from him again without hesitation.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #94 of 166
Well I've had this unit for a little while now and am glad I purchased it. It acts as a hub almost for me as I can connect two disc drives to it and two headphone amplifiers. I can listen to either amp with the turn of a knob, very convenient! It also improves the sound of the material being played. It's my first external DAC and I believe a nice place to start.

It's funny before joining Head-Fi I had several pairs of cheap IEM and Koss Porta Pro headphones with cmoy amps. Now I have 5 pairs of full size over the ear headphones and SS as well as tube amps. As well as the DAC mentioned here. It's really been a blast so far and I have a long way to go...

May 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #96 of 166
Can I bypass the internal DAC of iPod Classic by line input to D2?

Similarly, can I bypass internal DAC of iBasso DX50 (or DX90) by coaxial output and then line input to D2?

I don't think the D2 DAC will read an idevice but my guess is that the D2 would work with the DX50. I suggest emailing Ryan at Maverick

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #97 of 166
After 2 years of using TubeMagic D2 in my main audio system, I have upgraded my CD player to Marantz CD6005, and a major change in the system.

Unfortunately I have decided to drop D2 out from re-setup audio system and so do to my Sunfire sub-woofers and super tweeters.

D2 is now moved to Video's audio system and decoding audio to drive 2 sub-woofers.

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #98 of 166
Doesn't sound like a bad retirement.
cool.gif

Funny as you are retiring yours and I just recently got mine. I use mine as a hub to connect 3 optical drives to 2 amps...works great and sound pretty good too. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #101 of 166
I just recently purchased a unit from them so I hope they are still around! Got the D-2 with upgraded everything...

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #102 of 166
Has anyone had trouble getting in touch with Maverick audio?
My D2 RCA outputs are terribly loose on the tube output and basically unusable now.  I've been trying to get some sort of fix or solution from Ryan/Maverick Audio but haven't heard anything back after an initial reply. It's been months now.  Sigh.

Did you hear back from Ryan? I'd like to know as I'm considering getting the D2 (already have the A1).

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #103 of 166
I emailed Maverick Audio several days ago but have not received a response yet...
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #104 of 166
Did you hear back from Ryan? I'd like to know as I'm considering getting the D2 (already have the A1).

I emailed and received a response, he says he it still alive and kicking.

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #105 of 166
I just bought a D2 direct from Ryan with the upgraded Op-Amps. So far, I'm loving the sound. It compares favorably to my Schiit Modi. My setup is the D2 into a desktop amp (a Topping TP60) into some Pioneer BS22 bookshelf speakers.

However, I noticed that when I turn off the D2, I get a scratching metallic-sounding "whoosh" for a split second through my speakers. The obvious solution is to turn off my amp before turning off the D2, but I was wondering if this sound is normal (does anyone else have this issue?) or if it's indicative of some problem with my unit.

So, does your D2 (or D1) make noise when it's being turned off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back