Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info Thread
Jan 10, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #121 of 166
On the D1 I know it uses one slot for the DAC aspect, so you could slot in like audio-gd HDAM or something like that.

As the D2 has no headphone output or anyhting like that and I wanted to put the HDAM in, do i need to replace all 3 ? or just one for the tube pre-out? :)

I have a friend that wants to get a D2 as a D1 is not needed and wanted ot know if the upgrade path I followed can be done the same.

Thanks Spanky!

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #122 of 166
  any one used the tube magic d1 amp? my friend got this dac and the da 1 amp too, he got HD600 1st then the left driver had wierd sound later on, then bought HD650, and same happened later on, like less than 2 months if not one month

he asked around and turned out the power of the d1 is what caused this problem for him,  did anyone heard about similar issue with this amp?

Not that I am aware of but warranty should take care of it.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #123 of 166
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC: Upgrades and Mods

The journey to better digital sound started with the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC.  Additional improvements to the sound can be obtained with modifications.

On the solid state side: the sound improvement of installing discrete component op amps is category changing. WOW.  

The other available “plug and play” socket is the tube. 

The gains upgrading the stock 6N3 tube with the GE 5760 is well worth the incremental costs.  Beyond “Tube rolling”, and inspired by the replacement of op amps with discrete circuits; I thus set out to replace the stock tube with an entirely new tube circuit, installing a cathode follower buffer tube module.

The improved sound was immediately recognizable compared to the previous internal GE 5760 tube-out. Also the sound was improved in comparison to the upgraded discrete component op amps, but more subtly so.

These upgrades, individually and/or together, notably improve the DAC to a much better performance. 

More info on the modifications here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=642024

The cost of the cathode follower tube buffer module upgrade is about $60 with parts.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #124 of 166
I presume the 3 opamps are split for certain in and outs? or are they all active at the same time?

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #126 of 166
I have a D1 which only uses 1 op amp (one for headphone out and one for the tube preamp/output) so on the D2 it uses 3 op amps. If I wanted to use the Audio-gd HDAM, I would need to get 3 for a D2 then correct?

I wonder how that would sound.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #127 of 166
Yes, The D2 requires 3 dual OP AMPS to operate.  All 3 must be swapped together per Ryan@Maverick Audio.

The sound improvement of installing discrete component op amps is category changing.

Shroker, as you are already using an upgraded discrete op amp in your D1, you likely know this to be true.

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #128 of 166
  Yes, The D2 requires 3 dual OP AMPS to operate.  All 3 must be swapped together per Ryan@Maverick Audio.

The sound improvement of installing discrete component op amps is category changing.

Shroker, as you are already using an upgraded discrete op amp in your D1, you likely know this to be true.

Million miles different.

Very curious how having 3 on a D2 will sound haha.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #129 of 166
What type of coaxial cable is to be used between the D2 and a CDP?  Best Buy and Radio Shack only have the thin pin type used for TV cable hook up.  Can you recommend a source and what to ask for?

Chuck

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #130 of 166
  What type of coaxial cable is to be used between the D2 and a CDP?  Best Buy and Radio Shack only have the thin pin type used for TV cable hook up.  Can you recommend a source and what to ask for?

Chuck

Go to Amazon and search for digital coax.

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #134 of 166

Users who are viewing this thread

Back