Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Dec 14, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2,386 of 2,660
Have a question for all of you.
I'm using my D1 with a pair of M-Audio BX5a monitors that I previously had it connected via the Tube out with RCA to TRS cables and everything was great.
I recently switched the cables to RCA to XLR and the audio is extremely quite.
Nothing has changed except the cables and I tested the old setup with the TRS ends again and it still works fine.

I'm hoping I just made a stupid error, but I can't imagine what it would be.

Thanks for the help

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #2,387 of 2,660
Anyone try the Beyer DT990 600ohm on the D1? I know the output is rated for such high impedance but a lot of amps out there are rated high but can provide the juice for some 600ohm cans.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #2,388 of 2,660
Quote:
Anyone try the Beyer DT990 600ohm on the D1? I know the output is rated for such high impedance but a lot of amps out there are rated high but can provide the juice for some 600ohm cans.

I used to have that combo and the D1 had plenty of voltage for me.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #2,389 of 2,660
Ok, cool. How did you enjoy the sound?

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #2,390 of 2,660
I got rid of the 990s but that didn't really have anything to the D1, the 990s were just to bright for me.  I thought it sounded really good at first but the treble got to after a while whatever I had them plugged them in to.  Besides that, what I remember best is was the nice 360 degree soundstage when used with a surround to binaural DSP.  That was my favorite thing about them.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #2,391 of 2,660
Hmmm, well that is what I hear a lot about it. I really have no idea what a "bright" can sounding can is like so I really am having a tough time deciding between the next cans I want. There are more factors than brightness and the like but at this point the only think I know is I want it to be a very diverse can able to work with multiple genres, good soundstage, detailed, and open. Oh and of course it must work well with the D1. Besides that, laid back, forward, etc. All have no detriment at the moment. The HD650 and DT990 are the only two I've come across so far that I like.

I really wish I could audition some cans.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #2,392 of 2,660
Its best to order from a place with a good return policy or buy used so you don't lose much money if you don't like them.

Even auditioning before you buy doesn't always help.  I heard the 990/600s before I bought them.  They sounded really impressive if I only listened for a few minutes at a time but when I got a pair myself my ears were begging for mercy halfway through one album.  Of course plenty of other people love them and I can see why.  Its just different preferences.

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #2,393 of 2,660

Quote:
Its best to order from a place with a good return policy or buy used so you don't lose much money if you don't like them.

Even auditioning before you buy doesn't always help.  I heard the 990/600s before I bought them.  They sounded really impressive if I only listened for a few minutes at a time but when I got a pair myself my ears were begging for mercy halfway through one album.  Of course plenty of other people love them and I can see why.  Its just different preferences.

There is no bad headphone. There is only bad pairing and bad system synergy.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #2,394 of 2,660
Anyone got some thoughts on how this does with the K702's. I was considering it mainly for the DAC but it would serve as both primary DAC & amp until the funds build back up. 

The D1 really caught my eye because of it's DAC and tube preamp function. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #2,395 of 2,660
GOT MY Maverick Tube Magic D2 Pure DAC today.

After listening to it on both Solid State and Tube Pre-Out for a couple of hours playing a song twice, one on solid state, then again on tube preout to multiple songs.
I confirmed that Solid State was the winner since im into more modern songs.

The Solid State had a CON of being too digital sounding, as for the tube pre out, it sounded more warm and blended together. However even though it sounded more warm, the blend on the other hand made the vocal and instruments too in sync with one another and you can't really hear the hightening in the singers vocals during climax or even lower pitches.

I'm more of a modern music, hip hop, adele, jason mraz, One Republic, etc. type of person so, i would say the tube pre out would be good for those old school and country music

This was all done through USB to laptop connection at 24 bit | 96KHz from the D2's Tenor chip.

D2 > D1 in terms of DAC.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #2,396 of 2,660
GOT MY Maverick Tube Magic D2 Pure DAC today.

After listening to it on both Solid State and Tube Pre-Out for a couple of hours playing a song twice, one on solid state, then again on tube preout to multiple songs.
I confirmed that Solid State was the winner since im into more modern songs.

The Solid State had a CON of being too digital sounding, as for the tube pre out, it sounded more warm and blended together. However even though it sounded more warm, the blend on the other hand made the vocal and instruments too in sync with one another and you can't really hear the hightening in the singers vocals during climax or even lower pitches.

I'm more of a modern music, hip hop, adele, jason mraz, One Republic, etc. type of person so, i would say the tube pre out would be good for those old school and country music

This was all done through USB to laptop connection at 24 bit | 96KHz from the D2's Tenor chip.

D2 > D1 in terms of DAC.

Not to forget to mention that tubes need hundred of hours of run in. There aren't much tubes out there that sounded nice out of the box :)

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #2,397 of 2,660
^
DAMN!

Well i don't like the tubes now, so hearing them for hundreds of hours in hope of it improving is torture.

Right now I'm connected to the solid state, my Audioengine A5 and Maverick D2 both only have 4-5 hours of use on them. Would i hear any improvements, say from 100+hours of burn in?

Also in the beginning i heard some small static noise, then moved the DAC to a different location and no longer got it. should i be looking into some better cables? my 3.5mm to RCA aren't gold plated and they don't run direct to the DAC. they are in extentions.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #2,398 of 2,660

Quote:
^
DAMN!

1. Well i don't like the tubes now, so hearing them for hundreds of hours in hope of it improving is torture.

Right now I'm connected to the solid state, my Audioengine A5 and Maverick D2 both only have 4-5 hours of use on them. Would i hear any improvements, say from 100+hours of burn in?

2. Also in the beginning i heard some small static noise, then moved the DAC to a different location and no longer got it. should i be looking into some better cables? my 3.5mm to RCA aren't gold plated and they don't run direct to the DAC. they are in extentions.

(I added numbers in your post to make things clearer)

1. Yes, if you read through previous posts on this thread people notice very large improvements in 100 hours.  As mentioned, tubes require some time to burn in, and sound much better after (so if you want to burn in for several hundred hours, it should be much more bearable after the first 100)

2. Do you mean you moved the whole unit somewhere else? And what do you mean with your cables being hooked up? This post is kind of ambiguous...

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #2,399 of 2,660
sorry for the ambiguous sentence i've made previously.

So you're saying the tube will be significantly better after 100+ hours of usage. does that only go for the tube pre out, or would the solid state also show improvements from burn in if i continue to use it instead of the tube pre out?

As for the D2 DAC, it's connected to the AUDIO IN on my speaker which is a 3.5 plug.

Cables: 3.5MM to RCA FEMALES > RCA Males to RCA Males > D2's RCA Output(Solid State). The cables that i used to connect the A5 to the DAC is not gold plated and is pretty cheap wires. (Thin wires, no shielding)

Would it be best if i buy a 3.5mm that turns directly to RCA Males to connect to the DAC? It will be gold plated of course.

Right now it seems every time i move the cables around,  i get a barely noticable static noise that comes on goes. (only if i touch the cable on accident, then i'd have to move it around until the noise is gone)

Probably something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YDUZ22/ref=sc_pgp__m_A1DCPNQKKEISZB_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1DCPNQKKEISZB&n=&s=&v=glance

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2,400 of 2,660

Quote:
So you're saying the tube will be significantly better after 100+ hours of usage. does that only go for the tube pre out, or would the solid state also have some improvements from the burn in?

The tube will be significantly better after running in. Solid State (opamps) typically don't benefit from run in but other components in the D2 will benefit from run in.

Would it be better if i buy a 3.5mm that turns directly to RCA Males (Gold Plated)  to connect into the DAC?

A good 3.5 to RCA cable will be much better than chaining several cables together. A good well shielded cable will also help in eliminating noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back