Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jul 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #2,371 of 2,660
Have you tried another player like Foobar? Try setting the buffer lower?

There seem to be lots of issues lately with the latest batch D1s. Mine is still working as it was in the beginning, but I only use it as a pre amp nowadays

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #2,372 of 2,660
Thanks, you;re right, it's not the fault of the D1 at all, but of the VLC Media Player I was using on the computer--winamp etc etc don't add this "analogue" distortion artifact. Apologies to Ryan and Maverick.

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #2,373 of 2,660

Quote:
Have you guys tried other sources? (USB, Coax, TOSLINK)

Here my set up:
Squeezebox Touch-> QED coaxial -> D1 ->RCA->Int Amp.

It's clearly that coaxial produce better sound than USB.More relaxing not fatigue.
Well thats the good news , I have bad new as   well.

After 2 weeks use D1, the blue LED  blinking and die.....
Contact Ryan via email, he explained that blue LED no stable and suggest me  to change the LED by my self (he will supply the LED).

Too sad, good sound DAC but not completely quality checked.If he already knew that blue led not stable he should not use that kind LED.

~ronni~

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #2,374 of 2,660
To D1 owners: when you plug in headphones, does it silence the rear (RCA) outputs? I'd actually prefer to be able to leave my cans plugged in all the time (with the volume pot set to silent when needed) and still use my speakers.

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #2,376 of 2,660
Quote:
No it doesn't as far as I can remember

Thanks! I actually placed an order earlier today after much wringing of hands weighing this against the E-MU 0204 USB. In the end, the option to use S/PDIF and avoid proprietary drivers swayed me despite the $80 higher price tag. Hopefully will have it by week's end and will give impressions then.

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #2,377 of 2,660

Quote:
Have you tried another player like Foobar? Try setting the buffer lower?

There seem to be lots of issues lately with the latest batch D1s. Mine is still working as it was in the beginning, but I only use it as a pre amp nowadays

Hi Ultrainferno, when you say there are lots of issues with the latest batch of D1's do you know the exact issues by chance?

I received my D1 a short while ago, and so far im unimpressed with both the issues I'm having with it, and also Ryan at Mav-Audio's vague answers to my questions about these.

Apart from the constant clicking noise when I skip tracks which is sooooooo fecking annoying, the D1 also sends loud pops and static noises through my speakers on track changes or similar via optical, the pops are intense enough that I would be concerned about damage to my speakers.

Does anyone know if there might be a language barrier causing Ryan at Mav to ignore my questions about the pops and static?

I had a reply stating some sources cause the D1 relay to cut in and click, however I'm not sure the implementation of this is right, maybe the D1 is just a POS?

Also I have tried swapping sources, amps, pre, tubes, opamps, cables (mains, interconnects etc etc), and the D1 still has these problems.

So far the D1 and support has been a dissapointing waste of money for me
mad.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #2,378 of 2,660
I said "there seem" to be more issues now compared to a year and more ago, based on the number of posts with people having some kind of problem.
Maybe more people find their way here or maybe there just are more problems, I don't know what's happening.
As I said before I never had any special problems with my D1, except for the clicking noise when changing tracks.

Some are very happy with the D1, some are not, but that goes for all products.
Nowadays I only use the D1 as a pre amp when I feel like playing a CD via RCA on my speakers, which is very rarely

When I communicate with a chinese company, i always put the english and google translated Chinese version in my email, that seems to help.
Ryan on the otherhand, speaks english well, there shouldn't be any language problem based on my own experience

Good luck solving the issues, do they happen when using usb as well?

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #2,379 of 2,660
The clicking some or all of you are experiencing when changing tracks using the computer is related to the computer, and not the DAC.  I switched from using the usb plugged into my computer to a home made connector that plugs directly into the cd writer using the digital out connector.  I then used a computer power supply to power up the cd writer.  I don't get any clicks or unwanted sounds while changing tracks.  The unit does make some weird sounds when switching sources, but turning down the volume solves that problem. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #2,380 of 2,660
I only briefly used the D1 usb as I found the optical input sounded better. But the clicking happens on two different pc's using the optical using different front ends, a cd transport also, and when connected to my PS3 I without fail get the loud pops and static as the content changes on the PS3 itself.

I do not get any of these problems using the optical outs on these devices when connected up to a multitude of different devices eg other dacs, receivers etc so I can't blame the sources, and have ruled out interconnects/interferance.

Will try Ryan at Mav again to try and see what can be done, and if infact this unit is faulty or the issues are just the way the D1 is designed- in which case I'd avoid the D1 on the basis of risking damage to headphones/speakers.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #2,381 of 2,660

Quote:
Hi Larry, did you get some resolve for the problems you were having? I just received my D1 and it seems to be exhibiting the same issues as yours. Have emailed Ryan and await a reply.

Also can someone tell me how to stop the D1 clicking loudly everytime I skip tracks etc, surely this can't be normal??? It's a pain in the butt and very distracting- especially when searching through a music collection- click,click,click,click,click....... is all I hear. I did try searching the forums but couldn't see any specifics on this, so sorry if this question has been answered before.

I had some spare tubes and opamps so have briefly rolled those, have to agree with others sentiments that these do make a noticable improvement to the sound.

Hi Autosol, I did not resolve the issue, but Ryan offered to take it back and test it.  If they found nothing wrong he said he would refund my money.  I bought the thing for my son and he decided to keep it and live with it.  I taked with a couple of HiFi electrical designers and engineers and they both said it could be poor shielding, poor filtering, poor grounding or just bad design.  I can maybe understand the digital clicking when changing songs but not when I push any button on any piece of equipment.  And if you have large speakers or have the volume turned up loud the pops are very irritating.  We tried the DAC in my main system with my Magnepan 1.6 speakers which are almost 6 feet tall and the pops were way too loud to live with.  For $200 it is disappointing.  If the DAC cost $30 I could understand it.  The DAC and Preamp both have very good sound in my main system but right now I would not recommend buying one.

By the way, all inputs make the same annoying pops!  I guess I learned my lesson here. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #2,382 of 2,660
On another note, does any one know if the opa0627 opamp superchip fit in the Maverick?  And how does it sound?  Does it have good high frequency resolution and detail?

Thanks,

Larry

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2,383 of 2,660
This is a D1 and A1 opamp and tube review.  I have a D1 with the tube pre out connected to an A1 and listen with Sony MDR-7506 headphones it also works well with B&W 602 S2 speakers.  I often listen to Mozart symphonies, electric violin rock quartets and chorals for the harmony.  Like others I changed the opamps to a LT1364 in U5 and a LM4562 in U6 and I agree it is less shrill and more laid back greatly reducing listening fatigue in addition it increased D1 head room the stock opamps in my D1 began to clip at 1 or 2 o'clock on the volume knob but now I can listen at almost full volume without clipping however I typically leave it at 4 o'clock just in case and use the A1's volume control there is plenty of volume left.  The GE 5 Star 5670 tube in the D1 is brighter more revealing with greater clarity and a larger fuller soundstage than the GE JAN 5670W and restores any sense of loss from the opamp upgrade without increasing listener fatigue.  This combination appears to be all benefit no detriment.  Swapping GE 5 Star 6AK5 for the optional Raytheon tubes in the A1 resulted in nice increased fullness.  This is an excellent combination I loved everything to this point until I tried Western Electric.  The WE 396A in the D1 offers much fuller mids with great timbre making it less revealing than the GE 5 Star 5670 in very positive ways, it is more forgiving on less than perfect recordings widening my choice of enjoyable music to other genres and it further reduces listening fatigue.  Bass and percussion were muddy for the first few hours but cleared up nicely however if your listening choice leans strongly toward bass and percussion you may prefer GE 5 Stars.  Using WE 403Bs in the A1 had a similar effect but at a lower level.  I love the final result.  I also added a Turtle Beach Micro II and glass Toslink cable between my computer and the D1 it resulted in a noticeably clearer sound and less noise over the USB connection.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #2,385 of 2,660

Quote:
After 2 weeks use D1, the blue LED  blinking and die.....
Contact Ryan via email, he explained that blue LED no stable and suggest me  to change the LED by my self (he will supply the LED).

Too sad, good sound DAC but not completely quality checked.If he already knew that blue led not stable he should not use that kind LED.

~ronni~

Ok Im not alone with that blinking led... I have a week with it so I still might have another week with the led working ... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back