Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Mar 17, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #2,251 of 2,660
Hi Guys,

I've so far swapped the stock chinese tube for 1x cryogenically frozen Russian 6N3P (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CRYO-SUPER-LIFE-6N3P-E-Hi-Fi-AUDIO-TUBE-2C51-5670-/300353336777?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item45ee7435c9#ht_4674wt_1334). The seller said it was up there with the Bendix. It sounded a bit lean to me ... although I only gave it about a week before I swapped in 2x 'used' vintage 5670's. I'm not sure what variant the 5670's were, as one of them has no markings except a few red bits of ink that haven't yet rubbed off and the other just has a grey coloured military font that says 5670. Anyway, both of these got about a week of use before being swapped.

I've also swapped the DAC OpAmp for a LM4562NA .... I've since ordered a few more opamps and tried them yesterday, so I swapped the Headphone OpAmp for the LM4562NA and then tried the following for the DAC:

LME49720NA

OPA2107AP
OPA2132PA
AD826ANZ

I can't remember what I left in there, I think it was the OPA2107, but so far irrespective of tubes or opamps I've not noticed any significant differences.
I've ordered a better set of RCA cables today to see if that is my weak link. I listen via an AV receiver through a set of speakers rather than headphones and haven't spent too much time on critical listening yet, but was curious to see if any combination of tube/opamp would make me say 'wow' there's an immediata and obvious difference (good or bad) but so far everything has been just a little difference one way or the other.

So, my questions are:

1) How long should I run a burn-in on a tube/opamp - i.e. after how many hours of listening should I expect the sound to have improved./settled
2) I'm not sure what the 5670 tubes were that I swapped, but can get two used GE 5670's (I've seen the green ink on a pic of them, so am sure they really are GE) - would it be worth getting GE 5670's or for a bit more I can get a GE 5670 JAN or a 2C51 Sylvania. Would I be advised to get any of these at all?

Thanks guys!

Mouseboy007

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #2,252 of 2,660

If burn in bothers you just run it for 3-4 days with pink noise(head-fi search it) if you hear something different then roll with it otherwise don't worry too much.  I didn't find the tube to make that much a diff over the SS myself.
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I've so far swapped the stock chinese tube for 1x cryogenically frozen Russian 6N3P (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CRYO-SUPER-LIFE-6N3P-E-Hi-Fi-AUDIO-TUBE-2C51-5670-/300353336777?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item45ee7435c9#ht_4674wt_1334). The seller said it was up there with the Bendix. It sounded a bit lean to me ... although I only gave it about a week before I swapped in 2x 'used' vintage 5670's. I'm not sure what variant the 5670's were, as one of them has no markings except a few red bits of ink that haven't yet rubbed off and the other just has a grey coloured military font that says 5670. Anyway, both of these got about a week of use before being swapped.

I've also swapped the DAC OpAmp for a LM4562NA .... I've since ordered a few more opamps and tried them yesterday, so I swapped the Headphone OpAmp for the LM4562NA and then tried the following for the DAC:

LME49720NA

OPA2107AP
OPA2132PA
AD826ANZ

I can't remember what I left in there, I think it was the OPA2107, but so far irrespective of tubes or opamps I've not noticed any significant differences.
I've ordered a better set of RCA cables today to see if that is my weak link. I listen via an AV receiver through a set of speakers rather than headphones and haven't spent too much time on critical listening yet, but was curious to see if any combination of tube/opamp would make me say 'wow' there's an immediata and obvious difference (good or bad) but so far everything has been just a little difference one way or the other.

So, my questions are:

1) How long should I run a burn-in on a tube/opamp - i.e. after how many hours of listening should I expect the sound to have improved./settled
2) I'm not sure what the 5670 tubes were that I swapped, but can get two used GE 5670's (I've seen the green ink on a pic of them, so am sure they really are GE) - would it be worth getting GE 5670's or for a bit more I can get a GE 5670 JAN or a 2C51 Sylvania. Would I be advised to get any of these at all?

Thanks guys!

Mouseboy007

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #2,253 of 2,660
Hi,

I've a problem with my MAV D1. Dac and heaphone amp work fine but no more signal out RCA, valve or not. I've tried with diffrent cables, sources and amps - same result no sound out.

Can anyone help me?

Best regards

Chris

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #2,255 of 2,660

[size=medium]
I've had PM from various people about the OP249 I use. Since I've kept coming back to this OpAmp in my D1, and its my favorite when it comes to the midrange, I thought I might as well post my answer here:

The OpAmp was designed by Analog Devices (like almost all good sounding opamps
wink_face.gif
).

A spec sheet can be found here: http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/OP249.pdf

Its being sold by Farnell. In the Netherlands you get it for +/- €6,50. You don't need an adapter, its a standard 8-pin DIP dual OpAmp config. In fact, its the dual version of the OP149.

Right now I'm in the process of getting used to my new DAC: an Audio-GD NFB-2. I've been switching back-and-forth a lot between my D1, NFB-2 and D24. And while the NFB-2 is in a different league than the other two, the D1 still shows to be a great sounding DAC/Amp with an excellent performance at this price level. I'll post my review on the NFB-2 in the next week or so.

[/size]

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #2,256 of 2,660
Hey guys, i read the headphone output for the D1 doesnt use the tube, so if i wanted to listen to the tube through headphones would it be advisable to use a stereo RCA to 3.5mm adapter and plug my headphones into the tube pre-out? Would there be any loss in sound quality?

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #2,261 of 2,660
There's 151 pages to this thread!

Check my sig for the FAQ. It has info about the hot tube outputs. But yea, if you want tube, you're going to have to go with a dedicated DAC and amp.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #2,262 of 2,660
I recently bought a tube on eBay but I don't know what it is - in terms of manufacturer / quality / rarity etc - I can't seem to find it listed anywhere.
Sounds good though! - Very warm and silky smooth treble.

Anyone have any ideas?
I tried to attach a picture but got a message back saying I don't have permission.
The text on the tube reads:

5670/CV4013
Made in England
SuperRadiotron 03

Thanks

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #2,263 of 2,660
If I'm not mistaken "Radiotron" was used by multiple companies, it's a generic name for tubes.
Try uploading your pic to imageshack or something if the uploader here doesn't work

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #2,264 of 2,660
Wow, never used imageshack - good call Ultrainferno 
biggrin.gif

I couldn't use the multi-uploader (think it's my companies proxy server) so uploaded one by one:

http://img714.imageshack.us/i/5670cv4013madeinengland.jpg/
http://img171.imageshack.us/i/superradiotron031.jpg/
http://img638.imageshack.us/i/superradiotron032.jpg/

I bought the tube used and it sounds pretty good to me. I'd just like to know for my own satisfaction how old it is and who it's made by to see if I can get a comparisson with a similar 'branded' tube - i.e. if it's a differently labelled Sylvania, G.E, Tungsol, Russian-Clone etc. The Made in England bit intreagues me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back