Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Mar 4, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #2,236 of 2,660
Hi uelover

Quote:
What is a dog adapter? I suppose I could look on google but if you have an easy explanation that would help. 

Ahhh, I see you have updated your post as I was typing a reply 
wink.gif

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #2,237 of 2,660
Yeah make use of the edit button. It helps to save spaces in this long thread.

A fully upgraded D1 with good tube and good opamp can last you for long unless you are going into mid/high end. I couldn't tell much of an upgrade initially when I got my D1 (stock config hooked via optical to my macbook pro). I was a little disappointed. However, after changing the opamps and tube and some cables, I became a happy owner. Thus, I am puzzled by why Ryan chose those stock opamps and tube when he could have just increased the cost of the unit by just a little for a large gain in quality. I am sure a lot of people discarded the D1 after hearing just the stock config because the stock config is really not that impressive.

Hmm OPA627 is a mono-channel opamp. In order to get dual-channel sound out of it you need two pieces of OPA627 fitted together on a 'brown-dog' adapter (that was their name, could have named it pink dog but whatever). No modification needed on your part. You can leave the LM4562 at the headamp section and throw the OPA627 in the DAC section. Thus, to save yourself from any trouble, get a soldered and ready-made dual fitted OPA627 so that your job is to only plug and play =)

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #2,239 of 2,660
Any news on the D2?

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #2,240 of 2,660

Quote:
So if you are in UK you can't just buy a adaptor for it? I am going to get this and use it with dt880 600 ohms.

Hmm the single OPA627 opamp is the size of any other opamp. Getting an adapter to fit both single OPA627 into that little space you have in D1 probably won't work due to space constraint. You can, however, get those ready-made OPA627AU soldered on a BD adapter and that will make your life easier too. UK should have them just that I am not so sure as to where.

Quote:
Any news on the D2?

Spanky is the man.

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #2,241 of 2,660

Quote:
Hmm the single OPA627 opamp is the size of any other opamp. Getting an adapter to fit both single OPA627 into that little space you have in D1 probably won't work due to space constraint. You can, however, get those ready-made OPA627AU soldered on a BD adapter and that will make your life easier too. UK should have them just that I am not so sure as to where.

Ahhh I was asking about the power cable,haha sorry. I think I will be getting it this weekend alone with DT880 600 ohms.Should I get some different opamps with it?(I heard that the stock opamp isnt very good) What would work well with beyer? I will be using it as DAC and Amp,then I will be upgrading the Amp to little dot.Only use this for DAC. I know this has probably been asked before but it is getting late here and I am soooo tired. thank you very much.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #2,242 of 2,660
It's early morning here! Haha.

Sorry about the misinterpretation! I used the UK IEC Power Cord too for Maverick D1. Getting any standard UK IEC power cord would work. Getting an adapter would work too.

I guess the decision will depend on how long is the interim between you receiving your D1 and you receiving your LD Amp.

Opamps aren't that expensive so you may just get one to last you through the period. Can't really advise on the desired opamp for beyer but you can gauge what type of sound each opamp will produce and decide from there. Only one opamp for the headamp stage is required. The DAC stage only affect the analogue outputs.

I would think that it would be good not to change the opamp of the DAC section first even when you have received your LD Amp as it is important to get familiarized with the sound of your new amp and decide what tweaks would be needed. Nonetheless, having that said, LT1364CN8 is pretty flat and may be a good starting ground if you are willing to tinker more with the opamps.

Just my $0.000001 cents worth.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #2,243 of 2,660
Thank you. I have a power cord laying around and it is 13 amp,would it work?
I think it will be a few months before I get little doc.My wallet has a massive hole now,haha. Thank you.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #2,244 of 2,660

Quote:
Thank you. I have a power cord laying around and it is 13 amp,would it work?
I think it will be a few months before I get little doc.My wallet has a massive hole now,haha. Thank you.

That would be fine. Since the D1 has a 0.25 inline fuse then any power cord / fuse combination should work fine. I had an old IEC cable with 13A fuse and it works a charm for me!

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #2,245 of 2,660
Anyone know the difference between LME49720NA and LME49720HA. I can source an 'NA' one in the UK cheaply, but am struggling to find a HA - is there a sonic difference?
Similarly, is the OPA2107 sonically the same as the OPA627 - again I've read a few things on these forums but don't really understand enough about it myself.

I found a site/page where someone is comparing a wide range of opamps (http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=149&action=print&thread=2200)

Opamps I will be evaluating on browndogs are AD744 / AD744 with class A mods / AD843 / AD811/ LM6171/ OPA627 / OPA227 / OPA228 / OPA602 / OPA134 / OPA637 and a few others.

Dual channel chips I will be evaluating include AD8620, LM4562, LM6172, OPA2227, OPA2228, OPA2134 / OPA2132 / OPA2107 and a few others.

Am I right in thinking that any of the Dual channel chips would be okay in the Maveric - in particular in the DAC stage. I've read a few things on this forum about DC offsets etc and I'm not entirely sure I follow the discussions - I guess I'd just like to know if putting in an OpAmp with the wrong offset will damage anything? .... 

I have an LM4562 in the DAC stage and am looking to roll opamps a little to get a sound I'm most happy with. the 4562 is okay, pretty good in fact, but it's all about individual tastes, individual setups and experimenting I suppose....

Thanks guys,

Mouseboy007

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #2,247 of 2,660
Mar 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #2,248 of 2,660
MA - SOIC
NA - Dip8,
HA - TO99

There are 2x SOIC and a TO-5 variant as well.

The only difference is package size/compose.  The metal can is supposed to be better at rejecting outside interference and is usually revered as better sounding than the NA(Dip8) model which is the common version.  No one uses the other models...  and generally the TO99 model almost always require you to put in yourself as every manufacturer I have seen uses the NA variant.  Higher end dacs seem to stay away from the 4562/49720 like a plague for some reason(can't say there I have heard the artifacts people complain about).  Except for the Benchmark Dac1

Quote:
hmm as far as I know, LME49720HA is a metal can while NA is not. Can't really commend on the rest.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #2,249 of 2,660
Has anyone had any issues with hum when using direct mode? When using the D1 as a DAC from my computer and preamp to speakers there is a noticeable hum when in direct mode. So much so that I cannot make an accurate comparison between its sound and non-direct mode. There is no such present hum in non-direct mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back