Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Dec 28, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #2,101 of 2,660
Quote:
Things look good. That's all I'll say :) Anyone even considering getting a new DAC should wait for the D2 FAQ to come out (pending Ryan's approval), there's very exciting features.

Heck, I too am in active e-mail correspondence with Ryan, but I am not in his "inner circle" of Head-Fi/Maverick Audio confidants like you, sp70 and ultrainferno.  I ordered my D1 less than two weeks ago, and then the A1 before it even arrived.  If I had known that the "D2" was soon to be unveiled, I'd probably have made do with my little NuForce uDAC-2 awhile longer to see what the D2 pre-release announcement looked like.  Any prospect of a trade-up program?

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #2,102 of 2,660

Quote:
Things look good. That's all I'll say :) Anyone even considering getting a new DAC should wait for the D2 FAQ to come out (pending Ryan's approval), there's very exciting features.

Do you know if it's gonna be in the same price range, or will it be more due to these "very exciting features"? The D1 is already top on my list and was planning on ordering it in a week or two, but I may hold out of the D2 is at a similar price and production is not too far out.

Spanky, any chance you'd mind sending me a PM with details you might have? I was planning on making a purchase soon so I would like to know if it's worth the wait. Thanks

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #2,103 of 2,660

Quote:
Quote:

Do you know if it's gonna be in the same price range, or will it be more due to these "very exciting features"? The D1 is already top on my list and was planning on ordering it in a week or two, but I may hold out of the D2 is at a similar price and production is not too far out.

Spanky, any chance you'd mind sending me a PM with details you might have? I was planning on making a purchase soon so I would like to know if it's worth the wait. Thanks

I'll say this to try and explain and give you a little info:

D1 = all in one unit in the affordable range
A1 = higher-end amp (better than the one in the D1)
D2 = higher-end DAC (better than the one in the D1)

The D2 should be more expensive and it's just a DAC. If you need an all in one unit right now at $200 or less, go for the D1 otherwise wait a bit and in the next 2-8 months or so see what Ryan's coming out with. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #2,104 of 2,660

Hey now, Everyone gets the info or no one does :D :wink:

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #2,105 of 2,660
Quote:
Quote:
Dynobot you have good points. However I think that while there's a limitless supply of DAC's, Ryan's pure DAC will have at least 3 advantages that are not super common. If he pulls it off, it will still be a unique product. I mentioned a tube buffer, we'll see what he says.

How about a Meier/Headroom style crossfeed while we're at it?

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #2,107 of 2,660
Thanks Spanky, that's all I needed. Looks like I'll keep my plans for getting the D1 since all I really need is an all-in-one rather than a high end piece.For now at least...

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #2,108 of 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I get the feeling that it's a little late to suggest features but I'll mention this in my next e-mail.

I figured, but thanks anyway.  Can't hurt.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #2,109 of 2,660
care to tell us about its form factor?

Quote:
Quote:
Dynobot you have good points. However I think that while there's a limitless supply of DAC's, Ryan's pure DAC will have at least 3 advantages that are not super common. If he pulls it off, it will still be a unique product. I mentioned a tube buffer, we'll see what he says.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2,111 of 2,660
I've been using my unit exclusively as a DAC with the direct pressed at all times.

I'm just curious from your experiences if anyone prefers the other output, or if tube works for the DAC best? I've noticed at times the non-tube is a lot more universal in making music sound better, whereas the tube output makes certain things sound great and others sound average.

Also, can it exhaust my tube over time if I have "direct" on at all times?

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2,112 of 2,660

In my experience the difference between Tube and SS outputs is not apparent at all.  I dont use the headphone output anymore(thus direct is always enabled).  I would assume speakers are more sensitive than headphones to some changes but I have never actually used speakers worth listening to on the D1.

I would assume, more current flowing through the tube should increase wear and tear but I doubt its significant enough to worry or care about it.  I mean a speaker tube amp would probably go through higher loads than a tube buffered dac and I haven't heard much horror stories with tubes not lasting.

The above paragraph is just an assumption though, I couldn't tell you the facts or explain the math.
Quote:
I've been using my unit exclusively as a DAC with the direct pressed at all times.

I'm just curious from your experiences if anyone prefers the other output, or if tube works for the DAC best? I've noticed at times the non-tube is a lot more universal in making music sound better, whereas the tube output makes certain things sound great and others sound average.

Also, can it exhaust my tube over time if I have "direct" on at all times?

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #2,113 of 2,660
Well, my opinion of this budget DAC has improved dramatically following the swapping out of op-amps and the twin triode tube. For the former, I used the two chips recommended on the product thread - whose numbers escape me at the moment. The tube is a NOS Tung-Sol 2C51.

Improvements? The soundstage is much larger. Overall, the sound signature is sweeter and warmer, and the stock configuration's glare/harshness is gone. Resolution seems better as well - for example, the decay of instruments lasts a lot longer, and woodwinds have a fuller, airier sound to them. The DAC sounds great with the S.E.X. amp and a pair of HD650 cans - same goes for my Klipsch Heresy III's. This was about the biggest $30 change I've ever heard with an audio product, self-built or otherwise.

For $200, this DAC is definitely a keeper. I had initially wanted to get the new Emotiva XDA-1, but the line-in on this unit, as well as the ability to roll tubes and op-amps, were what sold me on the Maverick. The only downside seems to be some weird "hissy" noises when using the DAC at 96kHz, not a big deal since most of my recordings are 44.1kHz/16-bit.

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #2,114 of 2,660
Hi,
How would you compare the D1 to the audio-gd Fun version B ? Both out-of-the-box configuration, I don't want to do any modification right now.
I can't decide which one is the best (maybe there isn't one..). I can get the D1 for 240$ and the Fun for 270$, does it worth the difference ?
it would be to drive an akg k701 and a pair of active speakers.

Thank's guys

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #2,115 of 2,660
The D1 is probably out of the box a better sounding unit(just an assumption based on reading prior to getting the mav.  Never heard the FUN unit in my life.) but the FUN is easier modified with extra goodies from the Audio-GD website.(plug and play stuff)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back