Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Nov 20, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #1,996 of 2,660

Finally got around to taking a picture of the Maverick Collection
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #1,997 of 2,660
MMMmmmmm....Nice gear!!!!

I'm looking for a 'cost effective' way of getting the best out of my imac and Grado's. I hear that the Maverick gear is more steered towards AKG, obviously not entirely but my question to you (if you know of course) is what would you suggest I go for to best suit my needs? I have a little fiio e5 for when I'm on the go and have considered upgrading to E7 but would love a valve sound and so like the look of little dot gear, though unless I get the 'Q' I will need a DAC as well. Without selling my house or first born child to fund, what would you suggest?

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #1,998 of 2,660
I used scissors, the thin sharp ones that you use to trim your stache.

Quote:

[size=small]Exactly my sentiments. I have been thinking for a while now to rid the D1 of the cable ties. They're wound too tightly around the cables and that is not a good thing. Ninjikiran's suggestion prompted me to check on them and I found that they were after all the culprit that caused the channel imbalance. Another weekend project with the D1 :)[/size]

Quote:
Quote:
Yea it doesn't effect SQ at all, but on mines the crimping force caused channel imbalances as in left side only or right side only kind of deals or horrible static

Poor connection maybe. I've noticed some static on my D1. I've not really mentioned it and chalked it up to being a "budget" unit. It's not constant, it comes and goes and is random. Is this what yours sounds like? I'm wondering about snipping all the cable ties in my D1 now...

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #1,999 of 2,660
LOL. sell your first born child to fund???
beerchug.gif

D1 works well with grado provided that you have rolled the opamps to the suitable ones for grado. With some mix and match, D1 works well for almost all cans =)

Quote:
MMMmmmmm....Nice gear!!!!

I'm looking for a 'cost effective' way of getting the best out of my imac and Grado's. I hear that the Maverick gear is more steered towards AKG, obviously not entirely but my question to you (if you know of course) is what would you suggest I go for to best suit my needs? I have a little fiio e5 for when I'm on the go and have considered upgrading to E7 but would love a valve sound and so like the look of little dot gear, though unless I get the 'Q' I will need a DAC as well. Without selling my house or first born child to fund, what would you suggest?

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #2,001 of 2,660

Quote:
Amazing...
How often you use each of them?

I always use the D1 as a DAC, the headphone amp isn't used at all. The little Bravo on top hasn't been used for a while now as I'm always using the A1 with the matched Raytheon tubes (love it). The other A1 has a recurring left channel problem, so it isn't used atm but I'm ordering some M8100 tubes to burn in on that one to see if they're better then the Raytheons.

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #2,002 of 2,660
@etteoh , thanks for your share ,
after read it , i want to try
smily_headphones1.gif

i just ordered 2 pieces of LME49720HA

i will put in DAC & Headphones section 
biggrin.gif

NB : i am newbie , is oke i put 2 pieces of LME49720HA inside ?

thank you
regular_smile%20.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #2,003 of 2,660
Hey lepel,

No worries dude and I am happy you found my review helpful. The LME49720HA is indeed an amazing opamp. It does A LOT of things right and that is what I like about it. The only thing you probably need to worry about is the DC offset when running it on the headphone section. From Spanky's master thread D1 reference list, it is said that the metal can exhibits an offset reading of around 180mv which is probably damning for your cans in the long run. From your sig, you run a Senn HD555 correct? I am confident the LME49720HA - Senn combo will be a very good one since the lightning fast characteristic of the metal can will go hand in hand with Senn's mellow house sound. I believe you will end up with a very good synergistic setup. When the metal can arrives, give them a good listen and post back your experience. I (or we rather) would love to read it.

I am currently doing an extensive listening test with the OPA627s which I bought off uelover (thanks mate). My initial impressions are that they are not as fast as the LME49720HA but they possess something special ~ their natural ability to extract details and make your music very musical. Let's see how things go after I have had more listening time with them and I will let you guys have another extensive review.

As what a lot of other owners here shared the metal can work wonders in the DAC section also. You can get uelover's opinions as he is another one that I know who has been running the metal can in the DAC. 

Have fun and I look forward to your findings on the metal can.

Quote:
@etteoh , thanks for your share ,
after read it , i want to try
smily_headphones1.gif

i just ordered 2 pieces of LME49720HA

i will put in DAC & Headphones section 
biggrin.gif

NB : i am newbie , is oke i put 2 pieces of LME49720HA inside ?

thank you
regular_smile%20.gif

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #2,007 of 2,660

Looks a little too thick to fit since the opamps are all surrounded in a tight space.  I have a pair of pliers that are thick, they seem as thick as yours which I couldn't squeeze in but the thin needle nose pair was a perfect fit.   Though if you go tin can you can get a special socket and solder the metal can into it.  Should be the same or better and removing it would be easier.

Quote:
halo @All  , i am difficult to change op-amp

so i use this , is oke ?

any suggestion or tips ?

thank to All
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #2,009 of 2,660
I'm pretty close to buying a D1 to satisfy my home DAC and amp needs, but I see there is the $199 model and the $219 model with a different tube pre-installed. I do not plan on doing any tube rolling myself for a while, so is the extra $20 worth it? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back